Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

Old tweak still to be used in P3Dv4.4 ?

9 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

But anyone who is reading this statement should check out for himself on his system if there is a difference in FPS with FFTF=0.01 and FFTF=0.1. I certainly do see a significant difference on my system.

I do too! And now FFTF.EXE is released for 4.4 I've got that going down to 0.01 when my frame rates are struggling (below 20).

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Do you have to still have FPS limit set in the sim or does it handle that as well?

MSFS2020 ,P3D V5, Ryzen 3600 4.2GHZ, 32GB 3000 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1600 Super 6GB, 22 inch 75 hz Monitor , Windows 10 204, Toposim,   Orbx Global, Vector, Europe  N & S California LC, England Regions,  England, PMDG 737, 777, Majestic Q400 and Aerosoft Airbus A318-20.

According to Phil Taylor ( remember him?) Aces hard coded the FFTF range from 0.10 to .99. The default is .33 No one from LM that I have talked to has confirmed they made any changes. As with other configurable settings in P3D, you can input what you wish but it will just use the nearest valid number.

This is only true for manual entries in the cfg file.

I would assume that FFTF is injecting the value into the code directly so it's quite possible that values outside of the default range are possible.

If you see a difference between 0.01 and 0.1 using the manual input to the cfg file, it is not due to the FFTF value.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Wouldn't it be great if we had a sticky with all the cfg. tweaks?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

55 minutes ago, Langyboy63 said:

Do you have to still have FPS limit set in the sim or does it handle that as well?

No. I just use VSync in P3D. My projectors are all 30Hz. works fine. Frame Rate limiter is set to unlimited.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

47 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

According to Phil Taylor ( remember him?) Aces hard coded the FFTF range from 0.10 to .99. The default is .33 No one from LM that I have talked to has confirmed they made any changes. As with other configurable settings in P3D, you can input what you wish but it will just use the nearest valid number.

This is only true for manual entries in the cfg file.

I would assume that FFTF is injecting the value into the code directly so it's quite possible that values outside of the default range are possible.

If you see a difference between 0.01 and 0.1 using the manual input to the cfg file, it is not due to the FFTF value.

Vic

I wonder if those who keep claiming FFTF=0.01 is a placebo have ever tried it themselves.

But anyway believe what you want. I rather enjoy roughly 10 % higher FPS with FFTF=0.01 compared to FFTF=0.1 with a limited frame rate than getting into an argument here.

What is important to me is that no user should be deterred by these statements to test it out himself.

BTW: SIMstarter covers a setting of 0.01 to 0.99 for the FFTF value in its Tweak-section.

Some users say that FFTF is automatically set to 0.01 if fps limiter is set to unlimited. So everything confusing here. One is saying 0.10 is lowest possible, one is saying 0.01 automatically if FPS limiter unlimited. What to believe?

Do what you want and don't worry about it. The wrong setting won't do any harm and if you like what you see - stay with it. It's not a question of wrong or right. There have been many tweaks through the years that people swore changed their sim forever. Some of those were also impossible because of the code but who cares. If the user thinks it works, it works.

Vic

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

16 minutes ago, zwenna said:

Some users say that FFTF is automatically set to 0.01 if fps limiter is set to unlimited. So everything confusing here. One is saying 0.10 is lowest possible, one is saying 0.01 automatically if FPS limiter unlimited. What to believe?

No need to believe anything. Just test for yourself.

Create a demanding situation without weather and without traffic.

Set FFTF=0.1 in P3D.cfg.

Load the situation, let everything settle down.

Compare the framerate when FPS is unlimited and when FPS is limited to a value which is not reached in the actual situation (just for testing purposes - otherwise you should always set a limit which you can reach).

Then do the same with FFTF=0.01 and compare your results.

Just FYI my results would look like this:

FFTF=0.1

unlimited: 33 FPS

limited (to 40): 30 FPS

FFTF=0.01

unlimited: 33 FPS

limited (to 40): 33 FPS.

Wouldn't this (0.1 vs. 0.01) be a good question to ask the LM experts on their forum? No guaranty they will answer, but we could at least try. I am not at all an expert on this value (I gave up on 0.01 when I had sincere blurries a couple of years ago when nearly everyone promised this as the final cure to all diseases), thus I'd better leave it to someone more experienced to ask.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

5 hours ago, vgbaron said:

No one from LM that I have talked to has confirmed they made any changes. 

Sound like the normal “we can not confirm or deny” just because they don’t confirm does not been they have not. Don’t think they can talk about the code....? I would think it would come under big disclosure agreement.

Its also not what you imply people “think” Vic, they see it, like the test above like the video in there forums. The tests many have done. Show a different.

If people ran the test and saw now different then we would all default to 0.1, P3D have changed so much code since the FSX days only LM know what’s left. Phil Taylor might not ever recognise it !

Who knows? 🙂

An interesting discussion.

The app that people use starts at 0.01 perhaps the developer can shed some real insight into it?

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I asked that several times. Why should ffts dynamic offer a setting of 0.01 if P3D can not handle it? This question is also valid for 0.02 and 0.03 and so on. Those figures can be Set in fftf dynamic. 

Because FFTF might be tricking P3D to do so? I mean, usually changing this value gives only an effect when restarting P3D, yet FFTF Dynamic can change it on the fly.

Or: how do you know that FFTF Dynamic actually uses those values? Because the GUI of the software tells you so? Do we have any proof that FFTF Dynamic really uses "0.01" and so on?

Anyway, as FFTF Dynamic was on sale this weekend, I took the plunge and bought this little piece of software. And honestly, I am not really impressed (what a surprise...). Using the AGL method, I now have FFTF Dynamic lowering FFTF below 5000ft down to "0.01" (or whatever value) and above to "0.33" (that's what I always use, means default). While my current settings already provide me 28-30FPS (locked at 30) on most scenarios including my personal heavy test scenario (LSZH Professional with AI Traffic), it boosted my FPS on EDDF for example from 20-23FPS up to 25-27FPS. Means: a solid increase in FPS (+17%), but nothing that is utterly phenomenal.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

If 4.4 had brought almost 20 % more FPS, it would have been a decently sized phenomenon, no?

Your test actually just made me think very hard about getting this add-on. I had it for FSX and found it very useful back then. It didn't only vary the FFTF value, but switched from "Target Framerate" to "Unlimited" if the framerate dropped under set minimum, which also adds a few FPS.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

8 hours ago, AnkH said:

Anyway, as FFTF Dynamic was on sale this weekend, I took the plunge and bought this little piece of software. And honestly, I am not really impressed (what a surprise...). Using the AGL method, I now have FFTF Dynamic lowering FFTF below 5000ft down to "0.01" (or whatever value) and above to "0.33" (that's what I always use, means default). While my current settings already provide me 28-30FPS (locked at 30) on most scenarios including my personal heavy test scenario (LSZH Professional with AI Traffic), it boosted my FPS on EDDF for example from 20-23FPS up to 25-27FPS. Means: a solid increase in FPS (+17%), but nothing that is utterly phenomenal.

Did you also try to set FFTF=0.01 manually in your P3D.cfg and see if it gives you the same FPS increase (compared to your FFTF=0.33 default setting)?

7 hours ago, d.tsakiris said:

If 4.4 had brought almost 20 % more FPS, it would have been a decently sized phenomenon, no?

Your test actually just made me think very hard about getting this add-on. I had it for FSX and found it very useful back then. It didn't only vary the FFTF value, but switched from "Target Framerate" to "Unlimited" if the framerate dropped under set minimum, which also adds a few FPS.

Indeed I would also consider almost 20% a significant improvement.

I would suggest that at first you try to set FFTF=0.01 manually in your P3D.cfg and see if you get an improvement in FPS. If you do and you do not experience blurries or slow texture loading caused by the low FFTF setting, the FFTF Dynamic Addon should not be of any benefit for you. Only if you get blurries the Dynamic FFTF will be needed.  And unlimited should not give you any more FPS than you have with FFTF=0.01. At least that is how I understand it from many years of experimenting with these values.

I use a static FFTF=0.01 setting in my P3D.cfg and I haven't seen blurries or slow texture loading in P3D 4.4 so far (using the settings Rob A. recommended in the other thread). Others have been reporting blurries with a static FFTF=0.01 setting and the Dynamic FFTF Addon helped them a lot (in previous versions), so I don't say that this addon is useless.

Edited by RALF9636