Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

747-8 problem after an Acronis restoration

I can load the 747-400 but every time I load the -8 it asks for my serial number and after putting it in I get the plane floating on the runway with the gear up and nothing working in the cockpit.

Also, when I load the -400 I get a pop-up box I have never seen ever, it says Error creating child window.

I’m running Windows 10.

Any help will be appreciated.

Jack Sawyer

Addendum.  It’s asking for my serial number for the NGX and 777 every single time I load them.

I’m baffled.

Jack Sawyer

It seems your registry has been corrupted, maybe have you run Ccleaner or something similar? However as you say you have to insert it every time it seems that any antivirus, antimalware etc is blocking the related process.. sometimes (windows) updates can cause this to reset if it has worked before. I can‘t recall the name of the process atm. But make sure that you exclude any flightsim related folders from your AV and most likely you will have to fix this with an uninstall and then reinstall. 

Thanks.

I have zero AV, Defender is off.

I do not use it for surfing or email.

It was only after an Acronis restore so yeah, something got messed up.

Jetline is showing me how to completely restore window and then I have to install the new 4.4.

I have weeks of work to do now.

Jack Sawyer

1 hour ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Thanks.

I have zero AV, Defender is off.

I do not use it for surfing or email.

It was only after an Acronis restore so yeah, something got messed up.

Jetline is showing me how to completely restore window and then I have to install the new 4.4.

I have weeks of work to do now.

I have no idea what Acronis is... but if something turns off the FlexNet licensing service then you will get the reported results.

Click start, type services, open the services desktop app and scan down the list for FlexNet.  They should be running.  If you have problems with this then submit a trouble ticket.

I just looked up Acronis in Google and it's not something I'd be running on my computer, ever.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

10 minutes ago, downscc said:

I have no idea what Acronis is... but if something turns off the FlexNet licensing service then you will get the reported results.

Click start, type services, open the services desktop app and scan down the list for FlexNet.  They should be running.  If you have problems with this then submit a trouble ticket.

I just looked up Acronis in Google and it's not something I'd be running on my computer, ever.

Thanks Dan.

Acronis is a back and restore program.

I’m completely wiping my PC and reinstalling every last thing from scratch.

I hope when I go to install my three planes the NGX, 747-4–/8, and 777 I don’t have to reactive my licenses.

Jack Sawyer

1 minute ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Acronis is a back and restore program.

It is more than that.... according to it's marketing it also blocks malware and spam so it is probably killing FlexNet because it's not on it's internal "safe" list.

Did you bother to troubleshoot before you decided to wipe your PC and reinstall everything?  That is a sign of pure desperation and i can assure you Jack that it is not a guarantee that it fixes your problem... which I'm not sure you've fully defined.  

Windows has a perfectly decent backup and restore and antivirus tool as part of Windows and it's free.  Oh, and it works.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks again Dan.

I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of Jetline.

They built this PC and my last one.  Customer support is outstanding.  I just now got off the phone with them.

I did try to troubleshoot but I was getting all kinds of CTD’s, very slow loading, you name it.

It may seem desperate but it’ll give me a chance to start fresh and clean out all the unnecessary junk I no longer need.

Jack Sawyer

16 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of Jetline.

They built this PC and my last one.  Customer support is outstanding.

I know they charge premium prices for computers anyone can build for one third the price.... I bet their support is outstanding.  LOL I hope they send you birthday cards too.

What has that got to do with your use of Acronis?  That's like paying a premium price for your Mercedes then putting retread tires on it.   Anyway and regardless, I wish you luck with your system rebuild and hope you are successful.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

2 minutes ago, downscc said:

I know they charge premium prices for computers anyone can build for one third the price.... I bet their support is outstanding.  LOL I hope they send you birthday cards too.

What has that got to do with your use of Acronis?  That's like paying a premium price for your Mercedes then putting retread tires on it.   Anyway and regardless, I wish you luck with your system rebuild and hope you are successful.

They installed it on the PC.  The last version was user friendly this version is user hostile.

Thanks

Jack Sawyer

This is something that should go directly to support, honestly.

support.precisionmanuals.com

I use Acronis, but only for cloning drives, and not for backups. Backups are great for disaster recovery, but the sim community seems to have this obsession with "clean" installs, as if it somehow makes things magically better, performance-wise, to occasionally "cleanse" the system. It really doesn't, and a lot of the stuff that causes performance issues is either user driven, or worth more time troubleshooting and/or working with another human rather than nuking the install and trying to start over.

It's a bit like trying to solve a leaky faucet by burning down your house and starting over. Does it fix it? Yeah, sure...but at what cost?

Kyle Rodgers

It’s a lot worse than you know Kyle.  A certain plane, not PMDG’s caused such a bad CTD that it took out Windows.  I’m like you 100%.  I have never once done this, usually I can fix things but this corrupted a lot of files.  Then this version of Acronis messed up the PC even worse.  I don’t like the way it does restore in this version.  The last PC I had with an older version was not user hostile like this version is.

So now I wait till LM gets back with reactivation and I hope I don’t have to submit three PMDG tickets for reactivations.  It is what it is.

Jack Sawyer

7 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

caused such a bad CTD that it took out Windows.

While I'm glad it wasn't us, I find this hard to believe. Not saying it's impossible, but the sim itself doesn't exactly have that level of access to cause damage to Win system files to cause that kind of damage. Again, this is why I strongly encourage working with another human on the issue instead of a program - user-friendly or otherwise. A backup buries the evidence of what actually happened. In this case, I'm thinking the CTD was a symptom, and not a cause.

Kyle Rodgers

Ok, no problem.

The guys at Jetline have a lot of experience so if they tell me this is what happened and to fully restore I defer to them.  

And I am working with a human, the people at Jetline are highly skilled and well educated and degreed in software and hardware engineering.

Cheers

Jack Sawyer

7 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

And I am working with a human, the people at Jetline are highly skilled and well educated and degreed in software and hardware engineering.

I don't doubt it. All the same, keep in mind that these people are human and have to deal with other humans. I know it's easy to put them on a pedestal and say "they know what they're doing," but just like anyone else, they can get worn out. It's a lot easier to say "just reinstall it" than it is to explain how to fix the underlying problem.

Ever teach someone how to do something, but gloss over the details of the explanation because you're relatively certain that they won't get it? Same thing here. Tech support does it all the time. I'm not saying it's wrong - it's just not the best approach in all cases, much like this.

Again - not trying to be critical. I'm just trying to point out that, while it is good to trust, it's best to trust in context.

Kyle Rodgers