Sign in to follow this  
Entaryn

V4.4 vs V4.3 performance

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I thought about that also. If the FFTF Dynamic app doesn't get updated for 4.4 then it might confirm your assertion.

It makes sense to me that LM would consider that a pressing matter in V4 since it was obvious to anyone that was paying attention that issues caused by running unlimited Frame in V4 of Prepar3D i.e. the 64bit version did not exist in V3 or V2, the 32 bit versions. So you could say that the SIM was broke when it came to running unlimited frames. Unlimited Frames, Vsync and 30hz was my go to for a stutter free sim experience in V3. Although it also worked in V4 it was accompanied by the blurries which was not the case in V3. I shelved V4 for this reason and tried out X-Plane 11 and have been with X-Plane 11 for over 6 months and loving it. It was a good hiatus because it gave me the opportunity to try XP 11.26 and get ride of the first impression I had of XP 11 when it came out. To put it bluntly the performance was awful. It has come a long way. Anyway since I've gone VR just before V4.4 was released it is of great interest to me that  P3D V4.4 runs at the Frame rate you set in the display setting and not 2/3 of that frame rate because I am sure with such a radical change in the way I use the sims the old reliable's may not apply!

Its great to have Prepar3D back on my system again and I'll say that it appears to perform noticeably better than I recall V4.3 performing but I make no claim of objectivity. Now I am enjoying Prepar3D V4.4 X-Plane 11 and AFS2 all in VR with the Samsung Odyssey+ and I can tell you there is no going back for this simmer! 😁

7 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I thought about that also. If the FFTF Dynamic app doesn't get updated for 4.4 then it might confirm your assertion.

For me ,I still noticed a difference. On a situtation where FPS is ~60-65 FPS at unlimited, it drops to ~50-60 at 120 FPS limited

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

15 hours ago, vincentrouleau said:

For me ,I still noticed a difference. On a situtation where FPS is ~60-65 FPS at unlimited, it drops to ~50-60 at 120 FPS limited

Interesting, so now you can set a frame rate of 120. That's new. the upper limit in previous versions was 60. I know out of the box Prepar3D can do 120+ Frames per second but are you sure that that your settings and any addons installed will actually not prohibit your system reaching the target you set of 120 as apposed to you not reaching that target as a result of the frame limiter delivering a lower frame rate because of a high FFTF value which by default in previous versions is 33%.

EDIT: I'm probably wrong about the upper limit in previous version being 60. That limit is probably set by NCP depending on your displays reported maximum refresh rate. Right?

Edited by Guest

Same fps here...

Perhaps because I reinstalled W10 + V4.3 just a couple of weeks before the V4.4 release...

So still a quiet clean system ...

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Always the same story, Gerard: 95% of the reports talking about improved performance of a novel P3D release always come from users that did a full re-install. Sorry to say, but no wonder. Even if you keep an eye on what you install and what you do not install, a P3D gets cramped with this and that and performance suffers from this. I think of myself being one of the P3D users that try to keep the installation as tidy as possible (as you) and guess what? Not a single FPS more than with 4.3. Just the other stuff (which I do like), better texture loading etc. Fair enough for me.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I have the frames locked at 31 vsync on monitor at 30hz (never could run fps unlimited vsync off just got continuos stutters )but runs smoother have all sliders to the right in the terrain and scenery objects apart from autogen distance at medium  so have seen a performance increase done a full reinstall after the client only update messed things up.

Jim

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

LM definitely did something with the internal frame rate limiter! I had a quick look at it. In fact 120 is now that max frame rate that can be set below unlimited regardless of your display refresh rate. Of course Vsync will limited the fps to match the Refresh rate at best.

But so long a your system can deliver the frames your fps will be the same as the Frame Rate you set in display setting.

That was not the case in previous version as many know.

So you now have a real alternative to the 1/2 refresh rate with a display that does not support 30hz.

Just set your frame rate to 30 in display setting. Perhaps you wont even need to use Vsync. I haven't checked that out yet. And make sure your setting are such that your system can deliver at least 30fps and you will get a constant 30fps at 60hz.

That's exactly the same result as the old 1/2 refresh rate method.

Definitely big changes here! It would now also seem that a constant smooth 40fps is a viable option or in my case with VR a constant 45fps at the 90hz refresh rate.

Edited by Guest

Yes, in the release notes it clearly says that the MFR was raised from 60 to 120. In case you haven't seen them (there are a LOT of items) see https://www.prepar3d.com/news/2018/11/114948/.

Happy Holidays!

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

On 12/5/2018 at 3:41 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

I have a theory (not of Brontosauruses) that LM fixed the built-in frame limiter. In previous version when the frame rate was set to a number like 32, the resultant frame rate was around 26-28. For some reason with V4.4, it now matches the requested value.

Sadly the opposite is the case for me. I had fps locked for a long time. Cant d so anymore on nearly no airport. 😞 If i do i dont reach the 30 fps lock anymore. Topics exits on the p3d forum about this too. Something changed here for sure but im not sure its for the good for everyone.

@Avidean may i ask where you get this info from? Seems this cant really be the case if there are multiple topics where ppl have opposite effect. Infact nothing changed here for me, i still have to use the 1/2 refresh thing to make it fluid on a 60hz monitor.

Edited by SaenchaySor

BetaTeamB.png

8 hours ago, SaenchaySor said:

may i ask where you get this info from?

I haven't fully investigated it yet but as per previous posts. The frame limiter in V4.4 actually delivers the frame rate it is set too. That was not the case in previous version of P3D

Version 1.4 of FSPS's  FFTF has been released

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

So much for that theory. Ah yes, another entry in the list of flightsim placebo effects.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1