Sign in to follow this  
mole_man

Cloud shading performance

Another one for Matt and the big rework.

I saw massive performance drop in overcast conditions in v4.4. Thought to untick all cloud shading tweaks I had, and a big boost came back.

I don't remember such a hit in V4.3. I have not started to put the tweaks back one by one to see which effects the most, but wondered if others were seeing the same.

The hit is particularly hard with Activesky and ASCA. Cloudgroup shading maybe?

Untweaked clouds don't seem as bad in v4.4 as v4.3, so that is something.

I'll take a look into this & see if I can reproduce. Thanks for pointing it out!

Matt Davies

Founder/CEO - Mettar Simulations

=====
Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA) available here: https://www.simtweaks.com
projectFLY - one of the most used virtual aviation platforms (now with GLOBAL schedules):  https://www.projectfly.co.uk

I too have noticed this but more so with dawn & dusk shading even with no clouds, really dropping my frames, I had no drop with 4.3 or prior PTA.

Thanks.

UPS123.png

Have started to add back the various cloud effects.  So far added back in Cloud light/saturation and the cloud scattering. No ill effect on fps in various situations.

Perhaps it did not like having everything forced in at the same time. Will continue adding them back and let you know if one particular item gives trouble.

Thanks goodness for PTA. I tried to love default clouds, but they just seemed to turn pure white. No detail at all.

interesting as i experience the same. Did you add more back and have any results who the bad guy is ?

Carsten U

I noticed the same and was scratching my head, thanks for posting; turning off "Cloud shadows depth" seemed to resolve it.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I have added all tweaks back and not been able to reproduce the issue. Same weather, same location. Good news, just perplexing.

I've been having this issue (and it continues) at dusk and dawn. FPS go down to 10-15. I've also tried it with evnshade. Same results. No FPS impact with p3d shaders.

Edited by sgerfen

8 hours ago, sgerfen said:

I've been having this issue (and it continues) at dusk and dawn. FPS go down to 10-15. I've also tried it with evnshade. Same results. No FPS impact with p3d shaders.

Turning off the Clouds Shadow Depth fixed it for me.

UPS123.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.