Hi. 

I currently run an i7 4770K @ 4199MHz (according to CPU-Z)

would I benefit much upgrading to an.....

i7 4790K stock 4000MHz (assuming it can be OC’d via mobo) 

MSi Z87-GD65 Gaming  

Thanks in advance  

Edited by slip-stream

Keith Sandford.

No, 4790K is only a 5% - 10% improvement. If you manage to OC it by a few hundred megahertz you might see 5 frames per second more or so at 30 frames per second. Smoothness I have no idea. 

You might get a moderate OC  but it's a CPU with TIM between IHS and Die, so temps aren't too good. Delidding would yield lower temps and thus higher OC but then you invalidate the warranty. 

In my opinion I don't see it as worthwhile spending the money. Have you considered delliding your 4770K and applying liquid metal? Should drop temps by about 15 degrees if done properly. Should be able to nudge the OC up. Warranty invalidated of course. 

Someone with more experience of the 4790K may have a different opinion. 

Don't think you'd see any noticeable benefit unless you can get the 4790K to overclock faster than your current 4770k, which is entirely dependent on the silicon lottery. It's basically the same processor just binned 200 MHz (5%) higher, rest of specs are the same (cache etc). You'd likely get more mileage from improving the cooling on your existing processor so you can overclock it faster (assuming you haven't hit the clock speed wall or high voltages already).

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I bow to you superior knowledge. Thank you. My current CPU is liquid cooled and only oc’d via a switch on the mobo. I have no idea how to oc it further. 

Would you suggest that the 4770K is out of date nowadays and that I should upgrade my whole PC? 

Edited by slip-stream

Keith Sandford.

Something like the 8086K would be about 26% faster at stock. 9700K about 29%. 9900K about 30%.

The 8086K will Turbo on ONE core if ONE core is active to 5 GHz, but it will overclock pretty easily to 5 GHz on all cores if you sync all cores. With some overclocking knowledge you should get it higher.  Adequate cooling required of course. 

4770K is clearly out of date as there have been newer platforms released, but whether you decide the additional performance is what you desire and worth the cost of an upgrade is up to you.  

Manually overclocking isn't hard these days, lots of tutorials on the internet. And if you go for an Asus board, then the Asus auto overclocking tool, Five Way Optimisation, is very good. 

Edited by martin-w

53 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Something like the 8086K would be about 26% faster at stock.

54 minutes ago, martin-w said:

The 8086K will Turbo on ONE core if ONE core is active to 5 GHz, but it will overclock pretty easily to 5 GHz on all cores if you sync all cores.

54 minutes ago, martin-w said:

4770K is clearly out of date

Which is why I followed all your advice. Now just waiting to get the MoBo, etc, etc later in the New Year.

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

Something like the 8086K would be about 26% faster at stock. 9700K about 29%. 9900K about 30%.

The 8086K will Turbo on ONE core if ONE core is active to 5 GHz, but it will overclock pretty easily to 5 GHz on all cores if you sync all cores. With some overclocking knowledge you should get it higher.  Adequate cooling required of course. 

4770K is clearly out of date as there have been newer platforms released, but whether you decide the additional performance is what you desire and worth the cost of an upgrade is up to you.  

Manually overclocking isn't hard these days, lots of tutorials on the internet. And if you go for an Asus board, then the Asus auto overclocking tool, Five Way Optimisation, is very good. 

Thank you and with this in mind, is it possible to upgrade the mobo and processor only and keep everything else, and all will work ok? 

Keith Sandford.

1 hour ago, slip-stream said:

Thank you and with this in mind, is it possible to upgrade the mobo and processor only and keep everything else, and all will work ok? 

No, your Z87 motherboard uses DDR3 RAM...an 8700K/8086K build would require DDR4 RAM in addition to the CPU/mobo.

I still have a 4790K in my gaming PC...it easily overclocked to 4.7 GHz.  I would think there are quite a few of those and maybe 7600K/7700K CPU+mobo sets out there on the used side (the 7600K/7700K also need DDR4 RAM).  But I'd only consider doing it if it were fairly cheap, and only with a good cooler to get it clocked up into the high 4 GHz range.

No mention here of your GPU...this whole discussion may be moot if you're also running a severely underperforming graphics card.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks. 1080 at the mo. My other option was to upgrade to the ti instead. I have to admit that I’m more or less happy with my current setup, mostly maxed settings in VR. But my Pimax 8K will be arriving soon and I believe it’s going to need more horse power to run. 

Keith Sandford.