Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

GTN650 Black Screen (resolved)

Stuck on "Starting..." in the A2A Cherokee. I have 2.5.10. A little frustrating. I just reinstalled (or rather updated) P3D to 4.4. Uninstalled RXP650 and reinstalled it. Had a very difficult time with that as it kept saying my license had too many reactivations or some suck nonsense. Now finally installed and... black screen.

Any help appreciated.

Hi,

let us try to help you. Can you please post the content of the RXP log files? (see User's Manual for file/path).

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I just tried reinstalling. Let me see if it worked, and if not I will post those. Thanks!

Okay, no dice. Same thing. Here are the log files:

rxpGTN.gau.log:

18/12/06 21:53:38.072 11792 -    ] # rxpGTN.dll version 2.5.10.0
18/12/06 21:53:38.072 11792 INFO ]

rxpGTN_menu.dll.log:

18/12/06 21:52:45.126 00908 -    ] # rxpGTN_menu.dll version 2.5.10.0
18/12/06 21:52:45.156 00908 INFO ] edit panel: D:\Users\mtr_n\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_Piper_PA28_180_Cherokee\panel\panel.cfg
18/12/06 21:53:35.308 07756 INFO ]
18/12/06 21:53:35.335 07756 INFO ] edit panel: D:\Users\mtr_n\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_Piper_PA28_180_Cherokee\panel\panel.cfg

rxpGtnSim.dll.log:

18/12/06 21:53:40.267 11792 -    ] # rxpGtnSim64.dll version 2.5.10.0
18/12/06 21:53:40.267 11792 INFO ]
18/12/06 21:53:41.362 07196 INFO ]

Thank you. Can you please cross check the User's Manual troubleshooting section for Intel vs Discrete graphics?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Sure, will do and report back in the morning. Thanks Jean-Luc!

23 hours ago, RXP said:

Thank you. Can you please cross check the User's Manual troubleshooting section for Intel vs Discrete graphics?

Hey Jean-Luc,

No dice. Apparently with the latest Windows 10 update there's a new way to assign which GPU a program uses:

https://www.howtogeek.com/351522/how-to-choose-which-gpu-a-game-uses-on-windows-10/

I did that for the "GTN Simulator.exe" process and confirmed it is using the 1080, but still not working in the sim. Any further advice?

3 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

Apparently with the latest Windows 10 update there's a new way to assign which GPU a program uses: 

I'd still rather use the graphics card vendor tool though.

On 12/6/2018 at 4:18 PM, mtr75 said:

Stuck on "Starting..." in the A2A Cherokee.

The log files don't show any particular problem, so let's try with the most probable causes first:

• Do you mean 'Starting...' displayed on the GTN screen to the lower left corner?
  • Have you cross checked your antivirus / windows defender / anti-xxxxware program if there is any RXP file quarantined?
  • Can you just try adding a popup GTN window to the default Baron and see if the GTN runs there?
  • Can you confirm you are not running the simulator as admin (you shouldn't run anything as admin unless it is an admin tool), you haven't installed the trainer as admin, you haven't installed RXP GTN as admin?

2 minutes ago, RXP said:

I'd still rather use the graphics card vendor tool though.

The log files don't show any particular problem, so let's try with the most probable causes first:

• Do you mean 'Starting...' displayed on the GTN screen to the lower left corner?
  • Have you cross checked your antivirus / windows defender / anti-xxxxware program if there is any RXP file quarantined?
  • Can you just try adding a popup GTN window to the default Baron and see if the GTN runs there?
  • Can you confirm you are not running the simulator as admin (you shouldn't run anything as admin unless it is an admin tool), you haven't installed the trainer as admin, you haven't installed RXP GTN as admin?

Hey,

I tried to do it in Nvidia Control Panel, but in the Desktop menu and I do not have the ‘Add “Run with graphics processor” to Context Menu’ option. I'm not sure why, I have the latest drivers (417.22), so I assume my Nvidia Control Panel is up to date as well. ??

Yes, "Starting..." in the lower left corner. There is nothing in quarantine in Norton.

Oooh, I am quite sure I did install both the trainer and RXP as admin. Should I uninstall both and reinstall?

2 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

Oooh, I am quite sure I did install both the trainer and RXP as admin. Should I uninstall both and reinstall?

Don't ever install nor run anything flight sim related as admin.

Should a vendor tells you otherwise, run away from its products*

Please understand installing and running as admin makes programs see a different set of file and registry paths. Unless the program is meant to be run as admin (such as an admin tool), you will just make regular programs to fail consequently.

Please understand installing and running as admin opens up you computer to planned disaster: should the Simulator, the trainer, or even our gauges fail, you may end up with a wiped out hard drive!

*UAC has been a core Windows technology since Vista and you might want to avoid any vendor not catching up by 2018...

Removed in P3D4.4. Just use any other default!

Nevertheless, 'as admin' is the keyword and anti-solution (conversely source of the problem 😉 )

Edited by RXP

2 minutes ago, RXP said:

Don't ever install nor run anything flight sim related as admin.

Should a vendor tells you otherwise, run away from its products*

Please understand installing and running as admin makes programs see a different set of file and registry paths. Unless the program is meant to be run as admin (such as an admin tool), you will just make regular programs to fail consequently.

Please understand installing and running as admin opens up you computer to planned disaster: should the Simulator, the trainer, or even our gauges fail, you may end up with a wiped out hard drive!

*UAC has been a core Windows technology since Vista and you might want to avoid any vendor not catching up by 2018...

Oy vey. I was unaware of this - I thought I was doing the right thing by installing everything with admin rights. (Totally on me, not a recommendation of anyone else).

In light of this, would you recommend uninstalling the whole sim and reinstalling from scratch? I just upgraded to 4.4, so I have literally all the installation files and keys, etc., all in one place, and I don't have many addons.

If your genuine recommendation is to uninstall everything and start all over, I'd much rather do that and do it right. Is that what you'd suggest me doing? Thanks again for your help!

You shouldn't need to uninstall all for the GTN to run. Let's start just with the GTN trainer and the RXP GTN software and see how it goes. Then, once it works as intended, try not running the sim as admin (even if it has been installed as admin) and see how it goes. Ultimately, it is better not to install the sim as admin in the end.

Usually, recommendation for 'admin' came because the default Prepar3D/FltSim installation folder is protected (Program Files) and 3rd party programs don't have write access rights to any file in this folder. Therefore, a config tool which need to change the panel.cfg file for example fails.

However, UAC is not a limitation in this case. Proof: our own GUI Panel Assistant is working perfectly fine in the Program Files folder...

1 minute ago, RXP said:

You shouldn't need to uninstall all for the GTN to run. Let's start just with the GTN trainer and the RXP GTN software and see how it goes. Then, once it works as intended, try not running the sim as admin (even if it has been installed as admin) and see how it goes. Ultimately, it is better not to install the sim as admin in the end.

Usually, recommendation for 'admin' came because the default Prepar3D/FltSim installation folder is protected (Program Files) and 3rd party programs don't have write access rights to any file in this folder. Therefore, a config tool which need to change the panel.cfg file for example fails.

However, UAC is not a limitation in this case. Proof: our own GUI Panel Assistant is working perfectly fine in the Program Files folder...

Thanks! The sim is not running as admin, but I'm sure I installed everything as admin. I always do. Again, thought I was being clever. Let me try the trainer and your software and see how I do. Your help is genuinely appreciated!