Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

GTN650 Black Screen (resolved)

@supermarket ok this makes sense. I'm not sure this is related to the RXP implementation though because it bypasses entirely this command line system. Nevertheless there might be other places within the trainer not taking care to quote the path strings when looking up for some of its files and this definitely is something worth cross-checking. Thank you for the heads up.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 5/1/2019 at 5:13 PM, supermarket said:

Does your Windows user account name have a space in it, by chance? Could you try with an account whose name doesn’t have spaces in the name?

Create a new account to try, don’t try to rename an existing one.

I found a bug in the Garmin Trainer related to spaces in usernames and reported it to them. I saw that this seemed to be where people were actively complaining about black screen/blank screen/no power with the GTN Trainer, so I signed up here just to offer you all this suggestion.

No, the username doesn't have a space. This issue is quite odd because the GNS430/530 works just fine.

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

@Caribpilot I'm not forgetting you but we're starting to fail finding any possible cause besides all that is already documented (folder access rights for your user account, registry access rights for your user account, anti-virus and/or firewalls)

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

36 minutes ago, RXP said:

@Caribpilot I'm not forgetting you but we're starting to fail finding any possible cause besides all that is already documented (folder access rights for your user account, registry access rights for your user account, anti-virus and/or firewalls)

Are there significant differences with the GNS vs GTN installation process? Seems like this is specific to the GTN so with some guidance, I don't mind trying to solve the issue on my end. Are there any specific user account settings you will like me to change? I also haven't gone into the registry as yet. Norton antivirus is always disabled when installing products and no Garmin or RXP files have been flagged. 

Hi,

you may want to review my comment here:

The aforementioned posts synthesize all there is to know about the Garmin files and registry locations worth to cross-check in case of installation problem. There is not much differences between the GNS and the GTN otherwise, except the GNS has much simpler internal code dealing with its file locations than the GTN.

This is what my reg looks like

(Default)   REG_SZ  (value not set)
BinPath    REG_SZ  C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Trainers\
Bootstrapperlocaion  REG_SZ  C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{0cf89a63-832f-4334-96d5-45ff0c3bfff7}\GarminTrainerSetup.exe
DataPath   REG_SZ  C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers
DBDataPath  REG_SZ  C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases
ShortcutkeyPath   REG_DWORD    0x00000001 (1)

On 5/19/2019 at 3:09 PM, RXP said:

Hi,

thank you for the information but like also mentioned in the aforementioned posts, can you confirm the correct files are found at these locations?

Registry Values

"BinPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Garmin\\Trainers\\"
"DataPath"="C:\\ProgramData\\Garmin\\Trainers\\"
"DBDataPath"="C:\\ProgramData\\Garmin\\Trainers\\Databases\\"

Files Related to BinPath:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Trainers\Packages\GTN\bin\GTN Simulator.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Trainers\Packages\GTN\data\nonvol\sys_nand0

Files Related to DBDataPath:
C:\Program Data\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\safetaxi.bin

Files Related to DataPath:
C:\Program Data\Garmin\Trainers\Launcher\Manuals

Also:

This one is unexpected and I can't say yet whether this has any impact, but I don't think it has anything to do with the GTN and makes me wonder how it gets there, and what about deleting it.

I Can confirm that all files are located in these folders

Thank you for the additional information. This helps eliminating probable causes and tighten the culprit.

Can you please have a look at my post here (and the discussion for context):

I've just reinstalled the latest version of the GTN gauge and I've also reinstalled Garmin Trainers. Now I have a new issue. FSX SE won't start and I am now getting MFC80.dll , MSVCP80.dll and MSVCR80.dll errors

7 hours ago, Caribpilot said:

I've just reinstalled the latest version of the GTN gauge and I've also reinstalled Garmin Trainers. Now I have a new issue. FSX SE won't start and I am now getting MFC80.dll , MSVCP80.dll and MSVCR80.dll errors

Just an update from my previous post, I was able to resolve this issue. Please disregard.

I've tried to delete the registry entry in question but this didn't have any effect. 

Hi,

You shouldn't delete the registry keys otherwise it will fail the trainer. However, you might have wanted to modify the registry key values to some 'sane' paths if they were not set with path meaningful to your trainer installation paths.

Nevertheless, do I understand all is in order now on your system?

My FSX is working but the GTN gauge is still stuck on the black screen with "starting" shown on the lower left corner. The GNS series works perfectly.

@Caribpilot Hi, the solution most likely is perfectly documented as the recommended post in the aforementioned discussion:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/554202-start-as-administrator/?tab=comments#comment-4009624

There is an issue now identified and corrected in the future update which is affecting the GTN and the GNS V2: if you're running any of these the first time as-admin, it will create 'working' files which are accessible by 'as-admin' only. This is normal and expected since you're running as-admin. However the next time you try to run the sim as the normal user, these won't be read/write accessible and the GTN/GNS V2 will show the dreaded black screen. We're taking measures for this not to happen anymore even though you're running as-admin.

In the meantime, the solution consists in adding your user account read and write access rights to these working files.