Sign in to follow this  
por930

Just purchased the GTN750 now what? (resolved)

Hi, With the sale on at RealityXP, I just purchased the Garmin GTN 750. I did the download of the Garmin Aviation Trainers and a Garmin box has appeared on my screen, with a Power On button on the lower right. Click it and it says avionics powering up and the GTN 750 appears...G600 TXi with Software version 2.20.1 trainer. Some questions....

Now what? It seems like I am missing the interface between the download and what to do next information to get it into an a/c. I could not find a "beginners" flight sim manual.

How do I get the navigation screen into an aircraft? For example, the FSW Lear 35A.

I notice on the 750 screen, it says that the Database Not Found for all items. So, I guess I need to do some config eventually when the screen finds a home in a a/c ? 

Geoff Bryce

OK, a little more forward. After opening P3Dv4, saw in the Add-ons tab, there is a Reality XP GTN tab>Setup aircraft....

I thought to chose from the first page

Replace gauges with Reality XP GTN(auto-detect)

From then on..I notice three entry points, which I have no idea about, where I can make changes or do nothing. I notice the 750 1 or 750 2(i guess if you want 2 750 gauges?)

Control_Panel..window 00

GPS_PANEL..window02

VCockpit01 

Getting closer...I think

Geoff Bryce

6 hours ago, por930 said:

and a Garmin box has appeared on my screen, with a Power On button on the lower right.

Hi, this is the Garmin trainer launcher running standalone. You don't need to run this manually, our add-on takes care of it in the background for you.

NB: the database error displayed indicates you probably forgotten to also download and install the databases, or, you've installed it in a location the launcher/GTN trainer is failing to locate. This is supposed to be straightforward as long as you don't try to 'control' too much of the installation process, like running everything as 'admin' (never do this whether for GTN/RXP or anything, unless you do actually install/run an admin tool). Can you please cross check this?

5 hours ago, por930 said:

After opening P3Dv4, saw in the Add-ons tab, there is a Reality XP GTN tab>Setup aircraft....

This is explained in the 'Getting Started' section of the RXP GTN User's Manual.

You've selected the 'Replace' option which scans the current aircraft panel and offers you an easy way to replace its gauges. The list shows the gauges which were auto-detected. A little knowledge of the panel.cfg structure could certainly help a little bit more understanding what you're looking at.

In short, panel is divided in windows (popup) and VC entries. This is what displays in the list with a collapsible triangle. Then each section may include one or more gauges. This is what displays on each line, with the option to change to any GTN model or to leave it alone. When you do select a GTN model in the drop down list, it further displays additional options whether you want to manually change the size, or keep it like it was (same size option), or keep it the same width but preserving the GTN W/H ratio (width only option).

Any change in the panel.cfg is pre-indicated with 'caution' amber color dynamically as you change options, so that you can see what is affected, and the next panel when you click 'continue' helps you reviewing the entire changes prior validating.

Prior 'replacing' existing gauges on the panel, you might want to try 'adding' gauge first, and see how it goes. The Panel Assistant always permits you to reverting back (restore panel as it were prior you first modifications) or to surgically remove any RXP GTN gauge only.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

addendum: please see this excellent illustration in our Official Panel Configuration discussion from @BillS511:

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Thanks jean-Luc for your assistance. And yes, I may have confused the setup a tad because I wanted to minimise the installation into my small ssd system C drive, so, the install maybe a bit scattered over two drives. Does it have to be in the C drive? Maybe i have to uninstall everything and make a better plan where everything is located, and have another go. Though, I recall the install was via F1 e-commerce, which some times is a monster to deal with re installs.

I have no idea at all about panel / gauge structures, so will look at that second post you sent with Official panel Mods, as I see many examples. On my C drive, I found the manual you refer to, and that offers a bit more assistance. Ummm, you say, "try adding a gauge first" ummm ok, ah, I see, simply continue when the Configure Reality XP GTN Popup Windows umm,  I guess 1 window, then choose the GTN 750..then it mentions position..Upper Left ?? Middle?? I simply said yes to the middle and then it went away and eventually popped a quite big 750 gauge floating about the screen, and now has no issues with databases, so I guess this bit is happy...When I did get the gauge up, and tried the Press and hold the SHIFT key then RIGHT-CLICK the top edge, nothing happens, other than the usual right click menu. So, I simply reversed everything back.

Anyway, I am getting closer.  I recall some posts saying the XP version takes a bit of tinkering.

Edited by RXP

Geoff Bryce

You are making good progress!

We've designed our products to be intuitive to use at first glance. The only thing missing is a form of a 1st time use popup 'get started here' directly in the simulator. It is planned but there is much to do in one day!

In  the meantime, the main tinkering to do is to deconstruct the antiquated way of handling this type of product, shamelessly copied from own RXP designed tools 14 years ago by so called 'competitors'.

We're leaving in the iPhone world, and our products should be as easy to get into as any other mobile app.

This is why we offer in-sim modern UI Panel Assistant and Settings panel, with the added benefit of running in-sim live. There is not only no need to exit the sim or change aircraft to configure it, but most of the device settings also don't require reloading the aircraft to take effect. On top of this, most of the device settings apply live as well, with just a few rebooting the device still live in-sim!

As for panel.cfg, you don't need to know the details really: the 'Replace Gauge' option just does the hard work for you identifying most likely candidates and it even offers sane defaults to well identified gauges. The minimum to know is what the gauge is and usually its name suffice: real example: the gauge CarenadoG430_3D_A36!GNS430_nc1 you know it is the GNS 430 gauge for the Carenado A36.

The 'Configure Gauge' option adds popup windows. You have the choice between 1 window with 1 device, 1 window with 2 devices, or 2 windows with 1 device each. The 'position' relates to dividing the screen in 9 regions, and place the window there. Specifically for the 2nd window if any, you can opt to have the second window perfectly stacked under the first instead of placing it in a pre-defined region.

As for opening up the settings panel, make sure to right-click over the top edge of the GTN bezel within the window, not the top edge of the enclosing window itself. NB: should you have configured the GTN with 'no bezel', the clickable area becomes the top edge of the GTN screen instead because there would be no bezel shown in this case!

Hi Jean-Luc. Thanks for your detailed reply.

From my point of view, not being a tinkerer, the download and install of the GTN 750 sort of left me in the middle of somewhere but no obvious instructions, typical install or roadmap. So, for me, the process is not intuitive at all. Maybe it is because of my age,  and I am not a iphone (any smart phone) or Facebook/Twitter user. What some people see as obvious, I apparently, in this instance, do not.

OK, onwards....This morning I thought...I am a fool, (me that is)...I was trying to install the GTN 750 in the GNS version of the FSW Learjet. So, I reloaded a GTN version of the FSW Lear35, thinking this version is 'ready' for the GTN 750. Maybe it is for the F1 version?

My steps...after loading the FSW Learjet Cargo RDR/GTN N37AF aircraft. (I see in the dash, what looks like a blank GTN750). ok, so far looking better

Then choose Add-ons>Reallity XP GTN>Setup Aircraft>

Now, I thought because this is to replace a gauge, I choose the Replace Gauges with Reality XP GTN(auto-detect) option>Continue....

Select the options you would like to apply.

Configuration   choose...One or Two windows. I choose One window. This leaves an option Reality XP GTN #1 with another choice. I chose GTN 750. This now opens another choice Visibility...with any view and scale. I chose With Any view and 1:1 scale...press Review button.

I now get a list of panel.cfg? Anyway, above my pay grade, so I Accept...The screen blanks out for a tad then returns with a popup of the GTN 750 indicating SW version 6.50.1 TRNG and Reality XP 2.5.10 and it appears the AIRAC is 1803 with a statement that seems to have past logic referring to Not effective until 01-MAR-18..Should this say, effective until 01-MAR-18...

Anyway....the pop up GTN750 looks and works great. Obviously some fantastic programming on your part. But I can never get the gauge to sit in the dash, even though I chose replace a gauge option.

I can now get the settings box to open on the popup of the GTN750, but nothing there seems to offer any assistance.

I see that when I open the vehicle /Instrument menu tab in P3Dv4, I can select/deselect the Reality XP GTN Unit1(managed) to display or hide the popup GTN. I also see in that vehicle/Instrument menu an option for Flight Garmin GTN750 U1.. Select or deselect does nothing.

I am obviously missing a step...or two.

In a past life, I was a SAP program module installer and then helpdesk for the module. I was always amazed at the simple steps I missed in scripts because they were "obvious"

Maybe, when(if) you ever get time,  you or some one could create a 2 minute video of downloading the RXP 750 and what steps that were needed to get the GTN 750 installed into the dash of some a/c? Sorry to be a pain.

Regards

Edited by por930
change banned word

Geoff Bryce

I believe you are 90% there...

When you are replacing the F1 gauges, you should expect to see both a popup Window instance and a Vcockpit instance.. the latter is the in-panel version.

Try this..

1. Select "replace" one more time

2. First choose to return to the original panel

3. Now choose to replace and locate both instances of the GTN gauge

and choose the appropriate replacement.. for the Vcockpit version that likely includes selecting the "no-bezel" option

4. Now you should have the GTN both in-panel and as a popup

Bert

Hi Bert,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I seem to be getting closer to it. I will have a try later tonight when back at my FS machine and let you know.

I see lots of guys with the XP GTN 750 working ok in their various aircraft, so it can't be "that" hard...can it!!

When I fitted the weather radar, it was a breeze compared to the GTN.

Geoff Bryce

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I believe you are 90% there...

When you are replacing the F1 gauges, you should expect to see both a popup Window instance and a Vcockpit instance.. the latter is the in-panel version.

Try this..

1. Select "replace" one more time

2. First choose to return to the original panel

3. Now choose to replace and locate both instances of the GTN gauge

and choose the appropriate replacement.. for the Vcockpit version that likely includes selecting the "no-bezel" option

4. Now you should have the GTN both in-panel and as a popup

OK Bert,

We are almost there....Yeah, I know, its like pulling teeth....

When I used your instructions, as best I understood them, it worked. I now have two instances of the GTN 750 gauge. One in the dash to replace the GNS and a much larger popup, which seems the more practical size to work with. When I shut down my system and restarted P3D, and reloaded the aircraft, the screen loads with the popup and the installed gauge.

The installed GTN 750 is very small, it fits inside the glass screen of the base GTN screen with its own knobs. I never saw an option about "no-bezel", so not sure where this lurks.

With the aid of Chaseplane camera, I can easily create a screen pretty close and works ok, but, obviously, I need to sort out the sizing and buttons.

Geoff Bryce

9 hours ago, por930 said:

I choose the Replace Gauges with Reality XP GTN(auto-detect) option>Continue....

vs

Configuration   choose...One or Two windows. I choose One window.

Hi, you are getting there. Please note 'choose one or two windows' is the task when selecting the 'Configure Popup Windows' option.

You have to first selected one of the option prior pressing the continue button.

2 hours ago, por930 said:

I never saw an option about "no-bezel", so not sure where this lurks.

When in the 'Replace Gauges With Auto-Detect" task, whenever you select a GTN in the drop down list, appears beneath it a few more options. When you further select a GTN in the drop down list for a gauge listed in a 'VCockpit' group (the thing with the white triangle to collapse the group), a 'no bezel' option also displays. When selected, you are configuring the GTN to display the screen only.

Please make sure to follow this link to see the Panel Assistant in action step by step on the Lear 25:

Also, I'm not sure the Lear you are using is the same as the one in the Official Panel Configuration Mods discussion, but comparing how are the panel.cfg between this Lear 25 modified panel and your Lear panel might probably help you further understanding what it is all this is talking about:

Edited by RXP

A quick fix for the in-panel GTN is as follows..

1. Open the panel.cfg file with Notepad

2. Search for rxpGTN

3. You should find the two instances..

4. In the line in the Vcockpit section, add   ,NO_BEZEL

to the end of the line (comma and then NO_BEZEL)

5. Save and go fly  :smile:

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

OK, got there with no Bezel....

Jean-Luc...."When in the 'Replace Gauges With Auto-Detect" task, whenever you select a GTN in the drop down list, appears beneath it a few more options. When you further select a GTN in the drop down list for a gauge listed in a 'VCockpit' group (the thing with the white triangle to collapse the group), a 'no bezel' option also displays. When selected, you are configuring the GTN to display the screen only." When I expanded the white triangle, there was not a choice for 'no bezel', only the comment, do nothing, or the list of GTN's....So, I must have done some thing wrong in the early choices? This program (RXP 750) reminds me of a AI traffic program I have that requires a lot of underlying knowledge to get it to work. Maybe once I get comfortable understanding where to find the various files to edit, with what, then how to edit to achieve an outcome, it may become easier. I will soon find out, as I want to include the 750 in more aircraft. That will be another journey..later.

Bert, Spot on, though I did have issues starting the journey..."open the panel.cfg...." ummm, which one, where is it, ummm, there are many. I used a program called, "Everything". Brilliant little search engine for files etc. I popped in there panel.cfg, and from the list the aircraft I was trying to put the 750 in, chose, in my case..P3D\SimObjects\Airplanes\FLYSIM Learjet 35A\panel_GTN, then did a search for texture=$GTN750, this took me to [VCockpit36] and then I found the gauge00=rxpGTN!GTN_750_1,0,677,794...got there..I hope. I then added the NO_BEZEL after 794, saved it...and restarted P3D, loaded the FSW Learjet35, and the 750 appeared with no bezzel.

I have to read the manual and look at a few youtubes to understand how to use this wonderful device, certainly a piece of amazing kit that Jean-Luc created.

A quick question about charts of the airport before I stop annoying everyone. In the pop up, the airport diagram charts are quite clear, but in the dash mounted gauge, they are very out of focus. I stumbled over a preview view once, which was better. I suppose the devices strengths are navigation rather than viewing airport s and charts?

Geoff Bryce

12 hours ago, por930 said:

When I expanded the white triangle, there was not a choice for 'no bezel', only the comment, do nothing, or the list of GTN's....So, I must have done some thing wrong in the early choices?

You're just missing something:

When you further select a GTN in the drop down list for a gauge listed in a 'VCockpit' group (the thing with the white triangle to collapse the group), a 'no bezel' option also displays.

The interface is dynamic and only presents you the relevant options when needed, not before!

In the pop up, the airport diagram charts are quite clear, but in the dash mounted gauge, they are very out of focus.

This is related to how many pixels the GTN renders to. The native 1:1 screen resolution for the GTN 750 is 600x708 pixels. If the gauge size in the VCockpit section you are rendering it to is less than this, you'll loose details.

Contrary to all gauges (at least most gauges I know) which let FltSim do the hard work of shrinking the gauge display to a smaller size, our technology does the work in advance so that you get much better graphics at small sizes (reducing aliasing typically seen on sharply contrasted pixels - i.e. white lines over dark brackground). You can see the effect in reducing the popup window to a smaller size and see the display remains legible!

Nevertheless although the rendered pixels gets handled by our technology at smaller size, when you look at the VC gauge it may be displayed at, for example, twice its rendered size, exhibiting therefore blurriness.

concrete example: the gauge in the VC renders at 200x240 pixels, but you zoom in the VC to see it closer. These 200x240 pixels gets displayed on your monitor at something like 500x700 pixels, meaning more than 4 pixels on your monitor are drawn by a single pixel from the VC gauge.

To remedy: increase the VCockpit texture resolution!