Sign in to follow this  
Eagle99z

v speed on auto pilot

I have set up the 737 AND THE 777 as I have done for many of flight I took a break from simming so I might be missing something 

but I select lnav and vnav and the autopilot normally it climes around 1800 to 2200 quite smooth 

lately, it's climbing at 6000 plus anyone knows what's wrong or what am doing that am forgetting as far as I can see the FMC is filled in normal using pfpx export 

all other items are filled in temp wind weights speeds etc 

Wayne Runner

Edited by Eagle99z

your V/S depends on your weight. if you're heavy you will climb slower and if you're lighter you can climb faster.

2 hours ago, Eagle99z said:

anyone knows what's wrong

Nothing.

VNAV will climb using different methods, depending on the situation. In many situations, this is pitch for speed (something you'll even do in a Chickenhawk in primary training, too). You set your power, and then you vary your pitch to hold that speed.

2 hours ago, Eagle99z said:

it climes around 1800 to 2200 quite smooth 

This is a common misconception amongst simmers - mostly because of many of the Virtual Airline tools that exist out in the wild, which have all kinds of non-pilot assumptions about how things "should" be. One of these assumptions is that vertical speed "should be" between 1500 and 2000-something because anything higher is "scary" or "not smooth" to the passengers. The problem, however, is that if this were true, jets would be "scary" or "not smooth" since they fly at 500+ knots true, whereas older props fly much slower...but that isn't true, is it?

Speed is speed. As a passenger, 25 mph feels just the same as 500 mph. You don't feel speed - you feel acceleration: increases or decreases in speed, or the change in g from turbulence.

You could be climbing at 10000 feet per minute and the only thing the passenger would notice would be the deck angle, and their ears popping more quickly/frequently.

Short Version: The plane isn't doing anything wrong.

• Like 2

Kyle Rodgers

However, what the airplane sometimes does (and that‘s real behaviour in the 737), is that it thinks it was a vomit bomber.. 

if you fly with dialed-in 330 kias at 15000ft (for example) and then switch to VNAV with a programmed climb speed of eg 280/.78 (just an example) it will pitch up quite aggressively and can easily reach 4-5000fpm. Now, if you‘ve put 18000 feet in the box it won‘t have reached the 280 kts and will still climbing pretty fast which will result in an aggressive pitch down as the flight director doesn‘t handle this VS very well. And that’s what Kyle mentions: acceleration... To avoid hovering tomato juice I usually use „smoother“ vertical speeds via VS mode until the speed has reduced and then switch to VNAV.

But I doubt that all this is even close to any real world procedures. Rather the opposite, when you want to catch your vertical path and speed up with FLCH or VNAV mode.. 

there are some limitations for the autopilot and sometimes you just have to fly the airplane instead of let it do everything itself. It can be pretty funny sometimes... 

I've never had the problem before normally the aircraft will climb at a steady rate the aircraft is just launching off the runway as soon as i press autopilot 

if I fly the flight by hand I keep it smooth press autopilot and it turns into the space shuttle, also I set the alt restrictions on leaving the runway to 2000 4000 6000 8000 15000 29000 

soon as the autopilot was engaged it went to 4000 in about 6 seconds had 8nm to go at 15000 it went to 29000 in seconds not even a min and had 188nm before the restriction.

the plane used to arrive at the restrictions not get to them early... 

funny thing is the Airbus is fine climes like a dream 

PMDG flys like a bag of word not allowed that's the whole lot the 737 777 and the 747 so am guessing something has changed in an update because even fully loaded the stupid thing is pitching up to 45 and stalling empty it just might as well be a catapult.

PMDG was my fav but defo not the same judging by my old videos am not doing anything different 

Just now, Eagle99z said:

PMDG flys like a bag of word not allowed that's the whole lot the 737 777 and the 747 so am guessing something has changed in an update because even fully loaded the stupid thing is pitching up to 45 and stalling empty it just might as well be a catapult.

If this were being caused by the aircraft, then you'd be seeing reports of this everywhere. I get that you're frustrated, but we're here to help. It's hard to provide help when you're being inflammatory.

1 minute ago, Eagle99z said:

PMDG was my fav but defo not the same judging by my old videos am not doing anything different 

If it worked before and then stopped working, then it's an issue of either a system change on your computer, or you're actually doing something different. We haven't updated the NGX in years, so if the behavior has changed, it's definitely not the code.

Sounds like an FSUIPC issue, or a hardware trim runaway.

Kyle Rodgers

well I just went on the Operations center and there are 4 updates one for each aircraft I press install and the please wait box comes up the window opens and the file is installed 

job done 

but then I reopen the OC and the same updates are showing and my versions are still old 

installed as admin run as admin 

I apologise for my tone I love PMDG and that makes it even more frustrating that the Airbus is working and the PMDGs are doing this 

no matter what I do I even followed a youtube tutorial to the letter same airport fuel load etc, he took off claimed to 1000 ft pressed the AP CLIMBED AT 15 and turned right 

I press AP I get 45 degrees nose up full power 300plus at 1500 feet full right turn stall 

again am sorry but this was an annoyance now it is just frustrating the life outta me sorry

Just now, Eagle99z said:

well I just went on the Operations center and there are 4 updates one for each aircraft I press install and the please wait box comes up the window opens and the file is installed 

job done 

but then I reopen the OC and the same updates are showing and my versions are still old 

installed as admin run as admin 

This means your aircraft are too old to update, which means the installed versions are multiple years old. Please download the full installers from your account, uninstall the old versions and install the new versions.

This, by the way, rules out your earlier theory that our updated caused your issue. The OC didn't update the aircraft (which is why when you re-opened the OC, it prompted you to update again - the new version of the OC will be more specific about why it didn't update).

2 minutes ago, Eagle99z said:

I apologise for my tone I love PMDG and that makes it even more frustrating that the Airbus is working and the PMDGs are doing this 

no matter what I do I even followed a youtube tutorial to the letter same airport fuel load etc, he took off claimed to 1000 ft pressed the AP CLIMBED AT 15 and turned right 

I press AP I get 45 degrees nose up full power 300plus at 1500 feet full right turn stall 

again am sorry but this was an annoyance now it is just frustrating the life outta me sorry

I get that it is frustrating. All the same, taking a shot at us isn't helpful to us, and it doesn't help me help you.

Please don't use random YouTube tutorials. Use the tutorials we've provided for you. How are you loading the payload and fuel?

Kyle Rodgers

2 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

This means your aircraft are too old to update, which means the installed versions are multiple years old. Please download the full installers from your account, uninstall the old versions and install the new versions.

Yes I was under the impression the updates have gone through as no warnings said failed just complete

3 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

This, by the way, rules out your earlier theory that our updated caused your issue. The OC didn't update the aircraft (which is why when you re-opened the OC, it prompted you to update again - the new version of the OC will be more specific about why it didn't update).

yes, I retract my claim I was annoyed and confused..

7 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

I get that it is frustrating. All the same, taking a shot at us isn't helpful to us, and it doesn't help me help you.

Please don't use random YouTube tutorials. Use the tutorials we've provided for you. How are you loading the payload and fuel?

I use PFPX for fuel and payload I then add this to the aircraft through the FMC then I set the rest up.

I will reinstall and see if the problem is still happening and report back.

sorry again I appreciate your help, I really do.

• Like 1

To respond to all the above.

Its been a bad couple of weeks for me, this was another issue I never needed when I just wanted to relax. After a day of hell, if I would have noticed the download before maybe, I could have avoided the embarrassment of this post.

I would like to apologise to @scandinavian13 for my utter childish outburst along with PMDG and the Community 

After the reinstall, the aircraft all handle and function, as well as PMDG, designed them too.

once again sorry for my outburst, a mistaken but delighted customer

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Eagle99z said:

To respond to all the above.

Its been a bad couple of weeks for me, this was another issue I never needed when I just wanted to relax. After a day of hell, if I would have noticed the download before maybe, I could have avoided the embarrassment of this post.

I would like to apologise to @scandinavian13 for my utter childish outburst along with PMDG and the Community 

After the reinstall, the aircraft all handle and function, as well as PMDG, designed them too.

once again sorry for my outburst, a mistaken but delighted customer

We‘re all just humans and a PC is a bloody beast 😂 

if something‘s starting to go weird, just ask 😄 there are several people here with quite a bit of experience in resolving weird sim behaviour..

happy landings!

• Like 1