Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

virtual reality

Do the virtual reality headsets work with the simulator?

Yes

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

You haven't done any simming yet!

Neither had I until a couple of weeks ago when I got my Samsung Odyssey+😀

I'm on Rift and love it especially now that we can gain access to the virtual desktop without needing flyinside. Screen door effect not a problem on strong hardware with good AA but I make a promise to myself never to try a better headset otherwise the lusting will begin again....

I'm a very happy Vive Pro user. Have use it in P3D v4.3 and now  P3d v4.4. X-plane 11, DCS World and the new Fly Inside Sim. Hard to go back to my 4k monitor. 

Edited by rickjake

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

I tried it last spring with the original Odyssey and was floored by the immersion. But I ended up returning it because I didn’t feel I had the specs to run it well (specs in signature). But I was determined to get back to it, and after reading a very inspirational post in the virtual reality forum, I decided it was time. So I upgraded my machine and ordered a Odyssey +, which really seems like a great device. I should be up and running within 2 weeks. Looking forward to it.

Feeling like you are sitting in the cockpit of a 737NG, or any other airplane for that matter in a 1:1 scale was unbelievable. I can’t wait to go back.

Oh yes, new specs are I7 9700k, Gigabyte Aorus ultra z390, GTX 2080. Same RAM for now.

Edited by flytrumpet767
  • Like 1

I’ve always wondered how people wearing the headsets manage to use the keyboard without having to keep lifting the headset to look? Some jets I use like the VRS Superbug have so many key commands that I don’t all have mapped to controllers that I’d find it rather hard to flying if I can’t see what keys I need to push with my vision blocked by the VR headset.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have little adhesive bumps which i apply bumps like Braille so I know what keysbare which when the headset is on.  Not perfect but does the major buttons

8 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I’ve always wondered how people wearing the headsets manage to use the keyboard without having to keep lifting the headset to look? Some jets I use like the VRS Superbug have so many key commands that I don’t all have mapped to controllers that I’d find it rather hard to flying if I can’t see what keys I need to push with my vision blocked by the VR headset.

I have become very proficient at using the Voice Attack app and It is extremely useful for VR flying and I even use it for 2D flying. The app can be used to do virtually anything. I use it in combination with SPAD.next to execute Lvars, launch and shutdown applications, switch default audio playback devises from speakers to Rift headset, change views, execute any   Aircraft commands, switch VA profiles, check CPU and GPU useage with audio value response, toggle sound, toggle info text displays, open any pop up windows including ATC, selecting ATC and SODE options, moving pop up windows in VR by having VA hold and release the new VR window adjustment keys, these are just a few of the things i use it for. I also use it for DCS, Xplane and Aerofly FS2.

Couldn’t be without it. When you get into the depths of how to create assigned macros across profiles and system level macros changes can all be done in one place and cover all profiles. It’s truly a very impressive add on which gets updated and supported regularly and is very inexpensive. The key to using it successfully is to complete the MS speech recognition teaching process and use a decent microphone.

A must have for VR flying!

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

17 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I personally don't use the keyboard a lot once the sim has started. Even before I got into VR, I did not use key commands much. Too many to remember and they are not the same between different sims. Most of the key commands I have mapped to my controls on my GF yoke, throttle quadrant, and rudder petals. The rest I use the mouse. I don't have the VRS Superbug for P3d, but I do fly the hornet in DCS. Again, most of what I need is mapped on my Thrustmaster HOTAS system. The mouse for the rest. You develop muscle memory to where everything is while wearing the headset.  Flying a jet like the FA-18 and looking around for your bandit in VR while pulling some G's is a totally different experience then doing the same on the monitor.  

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11