Sign in to follow this  
737Andi

Win10 or Win7 better for Performance?

Hello,

I'm running P3d v4 under win7 with alot of addons. Unfortunately although my hardware is top notch I dont get a totally smooth sim experience. The graphics settings are already reduced way too much.

My thought is now to install everything new under win10 in hope to get better performance. What do you guys think? Is win10 better?

My hardware: I7-8700K at 4,8Ghz, Geforce RTX 2070, 16GB Ram, Fast SSD.

Thanks!

Best regards Andreas 

I'm surprised that you are still using win 7 considering that you have an 8700K. I would upgrade to win 10 if I were you.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Windows 10 for P3D, but it's not likely to be a noticeable difference.  LM (Beau) had posted about the benefits of P3D under Win10.  Given that the future is likely to be Ray Tracing which means DX12 which means DX12.  Love or hate Win10 (I certainly have a love/hate affair with Win10, but all my PCs are on Win10) it's the future.

Cheers, Rob.

27 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Windows 10 for P3D, but it's not likely to be a noticeable difference.  LM (Beau) had posted about the benefits of P3D under Win10.  Given that the future is likely to be Ray Tracing which means DX12 which means DX12.  Love or hate Win10 (I certainly have a love/hate affair with Win10, but all my PCs are on Win10) it's the future.

‘It’s the future’.....whether we like it or not, hmm!

As far as Prepar3D v4.x is concerned, I agree, there is likely to be little or no difference in performance. My Prepar3D installation, past and present (currently v4.4), runs great under Windows 7 Pro. I have Windows 10 Pro as dual Boot on its own drive, but that is being reserved for Version 5 when it is likely DirectX 12 will enter the picture. Until then it is largely irrelevant as far as Prepar3d is concerned and Windows 7 continues to keep me sane...lol. 

I have configured Windows 10 (1803) to my liking and have installed a few familiar applications and utilities. However, my preference still lies with Windows 7 - it has few vices and desktop operations seem significantly faster on my setup.

Mike

I have a Windows 7/10 dual-boot and I see no noticeable difference when using P3Dv4.4...........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Also recently switched to duel boot. If you get W10 make sure you get the Pro version. You have more control over updates etc. The only reason I switched to Windows10 is WMR for VR. Other than that I would have stayed with W7. In a way I was forced to switch to W10. And that was my intention all along; Stick with W7 Ultimate until there was something I wanted to do that required W10. I'll do the same with P3D V5 if it has raytracing, I'll get an RTX2080ti but not before! So I guess I'm saying if I where you I would stick to with W7 unless there is some reason you must switch to W10. Eventually that will had but expecting improved P3D performance is not that reason because it won't happen.

Do the upgrade to windows and you won't lose anything. Its so much smoother and fast OS. I was nervous going to it but I did my research and found it to be a lot easier to work with pretty quickly.

I7-8086K Delid OC Synced all cores 5.2  Corsair Hydro Series, H115i PRO ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 SLI CORSAIR HXi Series HX1200i 1200W G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB DDR4 3200 Windows 10 Pro 64

PMDG 737NGX