Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

Does Continental Airlines still have 747's?

Hi all, I was a little suprised to learn that Continental Airlines had 74s, but when I checked airliners dot net, their most recent picture of a COA 747 was from 1995. Does anybody know if they still fly these?Thanks,Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Thanks John, these fleet pages are a big help when trying to match liveries to aircraft.Jeff

Jeff

COA no longer operates 747 series aircraft.Their current fleet is as follows:B737-3/5/7/8/900 seriesB757-2/300B767-2/400 seriesB777-200Continental Express (ExpressJet), Continental Connection are operated by Gulfstream Airlines under Continental.Their fleet is as followsBeechcraft/Raytheon B1900Embraer 135/145/XRNot 100% positive on the ATR42's.Last month, Continentals mainline operations sold their last MD8* series aircraft. So as of now, its all down to the 73/5/6/7's and then the COA affiliates.Cheers! :-wave

Continental Express only operates Embraer Jets. No more ATRs, Beeches or Brasilias. The only turboprops in the system are Continental Connection Beech 1900s Saab 340s operated by CommutAir, Gulfstream and Colgan. Skywest Brasilias are being or have already been phased out and replaced by Colgan Saabs at IAH.

Believe me, i do.. Turbo props into IAH arent to common i think. I really do look, all i ever see are the COA jets flying, UA, AA, and then all the international flights. COA 767's and 777's coming in from Europe, then i see alot of the Foreign Airlines like BAW, KLM, MyTravel. But ill be honest, i never do see the props coming into IAH. They arent that common i believe. When you think about it, only airports close to houston are in the Houston Metro Area. I do see them flying into CLL alot when im there every weekend. For the most part though, smaller shorter flights of that type are the Embraer Jets. They take the ERJ's to Beaumont. I think alot of the COA props and their affiliates are in northern US areound cleveland, and the NYC area. For the most part though, its jets.... Maybe im just stupid and cant tell the difference?? :-wave

There is a site called www.airliners.net Big database of pictures, great search engine. You'll find out more there about what goes in and out from IAH than what your limited view from your house can afford.

Dont know if your in the Houston area, but if so, im in the cypress area. The just turn final right over my head when going 8L/R and 9. Is it possible they just turn the props earlier to get them out of the way with their lower approach speeds?

No I don't live in Houston. I'm Cleveland based for Continental Express, but was based in Houston last summer for a few months. We fly through all the different hubs frequently though so I have a little familiarity with what goes on at IAH. Most of the props tend to come from stations that bring them in on the Hoagie arrival. As such, this means that they come at the airport almost directly from the north and the runways you will most often see them land on are the northern ones. And yes, approach tends to turn them onto final closer in than where you live, since they fly so slow. While those of us who drive jets end up on twenty five mile long finals visible to you out in Cypress, they often will insert the props closer in at the marker in between jets. Living on the west side, you however, will tend to see less arriving traffic anyways since the controllers prefer to keep IAH on a west flow. Only when tailwinds on the 26s and 27 become excessive will they begin to entertain the idea of swapping the airport around to an east flow.

Guest adria320

Gulfstream Airlines EMB-120 Brasilias are still operated on Continental flights, atleast they were 2 weeks ago when I flew on one MCO-MIA. Was a rather interesting landing, we almost scraped the runway because of a sudden gust of wind. :)

bad statementJeff

Jeff