Sign in to follow this  
Deltaair1212

P3Dv4.4 night time flying

So I purposefully waited until the evening time to fire up my sim (which wasn’t hard to do since it now gets dark at 5:30PM lol) just to see how v4.4 compares to the previous version after the sun has set. I can say that there is a HUGE difference. At least with my set up. First thing I noticed was the ramp and just the airport in general was dark. And I mean pitch black dark. I couldn’t see a darn thing! If it weren’t for just pure muscle memory since I frequented this airport quite often, I would have been lost lol. I guess it’s an improvement on realism. It was kinda cool I will admit. After I departed, the trend continued. In v4.3, I could still make out mountain ranges in the distance pretty good but in v4.4, it’s just black. The scenery kinda blends in with the sky. I will say it does look better. I never realized just how light v4.3 was until just now. Anyone else notice this change? And do y’all like it? 

• Like 1

I can’t put my finger on it but 4.4 seemed better at night as well.

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

5 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I can’t put my finger on it but 4.4 seemed better at night as well.

Same here. But like I said, I just couldn’t believe how dark they made night flying. But us enthusiasts did ask for realism haha! The devs at Lockheed we’re like “hold my beer” 

I have noticed the same thing with 4.4! Night flying has become much more challenging and I am sure realistic. Flying the Bonanza over the mid-west USA and it is a sea of darkness!

Dan Scott

Had a real world flight with Qantas not long ago, 737 Perth to Adelaide, night flight.

Remember looking out at the wing in the cruise and not seeing a thing past the winglet and thinking to myself, V4.3 is not at all realistic in this department.

Fired up 4.4 the other week on a night flight in the NGX, looked out the wing and thought, that’s better!

Hello all

I had two issues using V4.4 yesterday KMSP-KORD(only 2 weeks experience with P3D).

The first when I got to the cockpit of MD-82 at night, it was pitch black I couldn't see a single button, specially with the complicated overhead panel of the Maddog......I had to change the panel state to ready to start so I can turn some lights on.

The other issue was when cruising at FL250 I couldn't see any light on the ground, I mean small cities or large ones or any topography, the ground was totally black even from external views until I got bellow FL200.

I don't know if it's real or not or perhaps I am used to FSX night light, but getting into the cockpit at night is an issue I guess unless if I have a flash light or something....And I didn't want to miss with the brightness and contrast values.

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

There's dark and there's black, when you spend 15 minutes looking for the master to switch the lights on and then can't see the quadrant or some knobs with lights at max it's a tad to much. I like what they did but at least give us some sort of VC light with an adjustment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Can't agree more .......

Alaa A. Riad

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

I was just now following someone on twitch at dusk and they simply switched it to dawn. With other night time 4.4 streamers you are basically looking at a mostly black screen. I have to say that I'm quite disappointed since I really like flying at night 😞

Thing is, with reality aside XP night time is looking so much better.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, FPStewy said:

There's dark and there's black, when you spend 15 minutes looking for the master to switch the lights on and then can't see the quadrant or some knobs with lights at max it's a tad to much. I like what they did but at least give us some sort of VC light with an adjustment.

I have always hated that, but now it becomes intolerable, at least at airport sceneries without dynamic lighting. P3D should really add a flashlight function that creates a bright circle at the middle of the screen. I know one can use FSL Spotlight, but it is not exactly what I am looking for, and I think a flashlight really should be part of the simulator.

Peter 

I guess it's time to post something on P3D forum ...... 🙂

Alaa A. Riad

2 minutes ago, Alaaar said:

I guess it's time to post something on P3D forum ...... 🙂

But if you think about it, that’s exactly how real night flying is! Once all the lights are off in the cockpit it’s usually pitch black unless you turn on the back panel lights. So in a way Lockheed was just answering our prayers. We’ve been asking for realistic night environments for quite some time now lol

I understand what you mean Deltaair, but again in real life there is a solution called flashlight so there must be a solution for that too in sim, specially when you fly for VA with flight time and schedules ...... For me personally I like night flights so much and this issue is little annoying ....... 

Alaa A. Riad

If u guys have Envshade u can adjust your night slider to brighten things up a touch.  Works well for me. 

Matt Wilson