Sign in to follow this  
barramundilure

PFPX V2

Hi Everyone

Just a quick heads up that there is a "new" V2 of PFPX.  I wanted to warn anyone out there even remotely considering updating to think again.  I have no idea who beta tested it but they should be given the don't come Monday after the abomination they have released.  Quite frankly it doesn't work and is a pile of junk.  

It is quite literally full of bugs and is totally unusable.

If you do decide to update don't say you were not warned.  I will go to Simbrief full time from now on.  

Its a shame as it was a good programme once.

Edited by barramundilure
  • Upvote 1

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

I've used it without any trouble. That's kind of a broad statement to say it doesn't work and is totally unusable. I admit I haven't spent a lot of time with all the functions but I created a flight and exported without any problems. It sounds like you've spent quite a bit of time with it, can you be more specific?

• Like 5

Michael Hutton

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB | MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | WD Blue SN580 M.2 2TB | Samsung SSD 990 Pro 2TB x 2 | Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB | NZXT C1200 1200W PSU | NZXT H9 Elite Mid-Tower | Windows 11 Pro 64-bit | Allegiant Virtual Airlines

I downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. 

Sim Brief pretty much does everything I want and it's free so I use it. 

The PFPX devs show add more Aircraft Profiles to TOPCAT...a lot of people have requested that over the years . 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I have not downloaded or installed it yet as I have not had time to back everything up and upgrade. I am also happy with how PFPX is now. As was suggested, it would be helpful to have more specifics on what "bugs" there, what does not work, etc. That could help me make a decision about whether to upgrade or not.

Dan Scott

Simbrief is free and works every time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

do not get the rant from the OP.

maybe explain us what is not working?

one of the sunday betatester ....

• Like 1

Seems to work OK for me, although I am tending to like most and go to Simbrief more often.

David Porrett

Sorry to hear you're not having an ideal experience with v2. I updated to v2 as soon as it came out and along with others, I couldn't be happier. The previous v1 was levels above anything else already and v2 has added a few extra things I am thoroughly enjoying. Add me to the happy camper list like the rest.

Maybe outline some of the 'bugs' you've encountered to the developer or here for that matter and maybe us satisfied users could help sort it out for you. Apart from the 'weight' bug (it will not honor the changes a user makes to the default average weight of each passenger), I haven't come across anything else.

I've compared some of the flight plans executed by PFPX with real world plans and the results have almost always been astonishingly similar. The largest discrepency for me has been a few minutes +/- in flight time, +/- 300kgs in fuel burn and +/- 400 kgs in estimated alternate fuel burn. Considering PFPX costs and works on a fraction of the data real world planners work with, I call that a resounding success for the program and have yet to find anything else that matches its fidelity, fluidity & general wealth of data and since my experience has always been very positive with the software (if worked with correctly), I would love for you to expand on why you feel it is unusable. 

Edited by krazyk
  • Like 1

Hotfiz 2.01 is out that should fix some bugs but there are still some important issues,

At this moment V1 seems a lot better...

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I love PFPX, use it for every flight I make.

I saw v2 was out and read though the forums, some user errors and some bugs.

Am very happy with my v1.xx for now but will update to v2 probably after a few more bugs are sorted. As v1 does everything I need.

I really like my aircraft database, take off and landing V ref and find the fuel burn to be spot on.

I also like the UI.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Sorry for apparently having lived under a rock, but ... what's new in V.2?

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Funny how i think PFPX2 is so much much better. Faster calculating 6000nm routes, faster with alternate calculation... No longer goes nuts with background tasks, making you wait several seconds until it sorts itself out.

To me, without even reading the "whatsnew", it's already great. But i use it daily, several times a week, so it's easy to notice.

• Like 1

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I've installed PFPX v2 and I've had a very nice experience since installing it. I haven't experienced any errors or bugs. Performance is indeed better and there are plenty of new exciting features to explore.

Even if there are bugs what's the big deal? The developers provided this version for FREE! And an hotfix has already been released which means that development is continuing and bugs are being smashed. Every software has bugs. It's the development that matters. And to me it's a really nice thing to have PFPX updated after ~2 years without major changes.

I don't get all this rant from the OP. If you don't like the software don't use it. But starting a rumor from day 1 after release is just poor judgement and really unfair to the work of the developers. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

I have installed version 2 and enjoying the new features. Try not to forget this is a real dispatchers program and requires some careful study into its use. Dispatchers need a lot of  training too. This is as real as it gets and works fine for me accept when adding  a new Nav data base, I couldn't easily select old unusable routes to discard.

IM

3 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

Sorry for apparently having lived under a rock, but ... what's new in V.2?

There is no official changelog to v2 or the hotfix v2.01 but here are some of the things I found updated/new:

1. The user interface has been updated
2. Performance has improved considerably (especially using auto-routing, alternate aerodromes planning, weather parsing)
3. Weather reports have been improved and now have a timeline to them aiding a user to see exactly when something noteworthy is expected to happen for the chosen airfields (things like Fog, Haze, reduction in visibility, etc - all have a color-coded highlight to them making it very simple to refer to a METAR/TAF and then getting an accurate timeline on when it is predicted for that particular condition to become active). Excellent for the hit & run pilots among us that just want to get a flight plan done within minutes.
4. NOTAMs have received a similar 'smart' function where it seems to read what it says and then tag it as such. For example, a NOTAM about a particular taxiway being closed will be tagged with a 'Taxiway' label. Similarly for obstacles in the form of construction at or around the fields in your flight plan will be marked as 'Obstacles', Runway changes would be tagged 'Runway', Unavailable parking would be tagged as 'Parking' and so on. You understand what I mean. Not necessary but highly effective in cutting down on reading time for the end user with such visual cues.
5. There's a new 'Company Information' tab I hope can also be integrated into the VA connection within PFPX. Presently, you can create your own Company NOTAMs if you like to fly a specific company often and if you're aware of certain NOTAMs they issue to their line pilots. Otherwise, this could say just about anything as you control what data is fed to the tab via self-created NOTAMs.
6. Flight vertical profile chart has been added with heaps of data embedded within. Items such as winds, turbulence, obstacles, Grid MORAs, expected en route times, alternate airfields (think ETPs or ETOPs range circles allowing you to know exactly until when a certain airfield is a viable enroute alternate, etc). One thing I do miss seeing in it is the Tropopause height but I suspect that will come through in one of the hotfixes/updates pretty soon.
7. The Map has been updated by quite a margin. You can now load terrain data and see exactly what areas during the critical phases of the flight need a bit more planning on. While the map already displayed FIR/UIR information from v1, v2 brings in prohibited/restricted/danger/training areas that allow you to hover your mouse above them for detailed information on altitude constraints, restrictions, activity type, etc. It can also show you AIRMETs/SIGMETs and airport weather trends.
8. There's a new 'Route Restrictions' tab in the Route Validation section showing you exactly what restrictions are in effect for your flight, both routes, as well as altitudes, are covered here.
9. There's a new feature called 'Aircraft Performance Monitoring' tool which you can access via your aircraft list. This will allow PFPX and you to monitor the fuel and drag bias on each type/registration, making active changes to its own calculation in future uses of that frame/type while letting you know exactly how big the discrepancy on each add-on aircraft you add to the program is. It even allows you to choose what to base those calculations on. End result: More precise and accurate numbers for you and the program calculations for future sectors.
10. A new 'Destination Area' chart that zooms in at your destination field and shows you the filed arrival into the intended field while also displaying alternates and the routing you'll be taking to fly there should the need arise. Great for situational awareness.
11. The 'Messages' tab after you've compiled your flight will tell you exactly what kind of restricted/danger/training areas you will be transiting through which coupled with the NOTAMs improves your awareness and expectations for rerouting from ATC should it be necessary.

The rest, generally, seems to be the same. Not that it is a complaint of any kind, most of it didn't need any changing anyway.

I suspect I will come across a few more items that have had some kind of work done to them but they'll likely only be visible when I dive into the deeper functions of PFPX and it can get pretty deep. When I'm in the mood, I could spend upwards of 30 minutes of planning and controlling almost every aspect of the flight plan. It's where PFPX excels anyway so why not take advantage of it?

Disclaimer: The above changes are just the things I've noticed and I'm in no way affiliated with the software developer or the publisher.
I am also not a real-world flight planner so please excuse any errors above.

Hope this helped!

Edited by krazyk
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1