Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

Is there a beginner’s guide to FSUIPC anywhere?

I have the latest FSUIPC and am having some serious difficulty learning it.  I’m not a programmer and some of the menus and concepts are very complicated to me.

I asked Mr. Dowson but that didn’t end well, don’t want to explain.

I really need to know about the difference between aircraft settings and so-called profiles.

First, I have these controllers;

TQ6 throttle quadrant from Virtual Fly

Yoko Yoke from Virtual Fly

RUDDO pedals

Thrustmaster HOTAS stick only

Saitek TPM

I plugged in my new yoke today and P3D 4.4 assigned the axes to it.  So I removed them and when I went to FSUIPC it saw it when I went to the axis tab but I couldn’t assign a plane or profile to it because it was greyed out, I coulnd’t access the section, even the profile specific box was ticked but grayed out.

It seems the profiles I somehow created this past spring (I have no idea how I did it) are uneditable.

If anyone can understand what I’m going though and can help I would be so very grateful.

Thanks 

Jack

Jack Sawyer

I understand your frustration jack. 10 or 15 yrs ago I went through the same thing though, I would never as Dowson for any advice. He's brilliant but not very personable. The manual reads like a Quantum physics thesis for us "Dummies". Do yourself a favor and do a google search for using FSUIPC, particularly assigning joysticks to Axis. You will find and gain much knowledge. By trial and error, you will find it to be the most powerful tool ever for FS. He__ I still do'tn know or use 1/2 of what it can do and I use it for everything. Wish you well.

Edited by Adrian123

11 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

I understand your frustration jack. 10 or 15 yrs ago I went through the same thing though, I would never as Dowson for any advice. He's brilliant but not very personable. The manual reads like a Quantum physics thesis for us "Dummies". Do yourself a favor and do a google search for using FSUIPC, particularly assigning joysticks to Axis. You will find and gain much knowledge. By trial and error, you will find it to be the most powerful tool ever for FS. He__ I still do'tn know or use 1/2 of what it can do and I use it for everything. Wish you well.

Thanks, I did exactly that and all I could find was something written ten years ago for a much older version and even it read like a quantum physics study guide.  I was hoping someone here knew where to find something or a YT.  I looked at a lot of TY’s but none describe the difference between profiles and aircraft specific changes as mentioned in the manual.  I’ve been wracking my brain, both cells, reading this “manual”.  He assumes you have a degree in advanced programming which I do not.

Jack Sawyer

Years ago, I had found a PDF written by a person in layman terms on how to use FSUIPC for axis assignment. Like i stated earlier, I found it with a  GOOGLE search. I could explain but I neither type so good or have the time. It would be a long process. perhaps someone will. there is always one.Here: google your friend and much kinder. 🙂

https://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/CH_Controls_with_FSUIPC.pdf

Edited by Adrian123
  • Like 3

Check advice from Adriana and MarkH. The included PDF is the best starting point. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Henry Street said:

Check advice from Adriana and MarkH. The included PDF is the best starting point. 

Thanks Henry.

Jack Sawyer

I’ll offer my advice for what it’s worth. The manuals are very comprehensive but can be off-putting to newbies.

First, disable controllers in P3D.

Next, load a favourite aircraft, bring up the FSUIPC5 menu and select Axis Assignments.

Top left is a Rescan button. Hands and feet off all controls. Hit it. Now pull your yoke backwards to emulate pitch. On the left below the Rescan button 3 radio button options should appear. Choose the top one. It will include the word ‘Direct’.

Below that is a dropdown box that is currently blank. Place a tick in the small box to its left. Then open the drop down and select Elevator.

At this point you can either make it a global setting or specific for that aircraft. To make it Global (meaning it applies to ALL aircraft) leave the Profile Specific box unchecked.

Now switch to the Calibration tab. Move through the screens until you find the Elevator setting. It should have the word ‘direct’ against it meaning it’s controlled by FSUIPC5.

Press the Reset button and then the Set one. Pull the yoke as far back as you can until the value shows -16384 or something very close and press Set. Then push it forward to its limit (16384) and press Set again.

Press OK and return to P3D in a spot plane view. Watch the elevator as you move the yoke. If it moves you’ve successfully programmed your first axis. That will work with every aircraft as you did not choose Profile Specific.

Repeat the above for Ailerons. Then switch to the Pedals and program Rudder. When you set the Left and Right Brake select the box for Reverse. If you don’t the brakes will be applied with no pressure, the opposite of what you want.

Throttles is the same procedure. If your throttle quadrant levers include a detent section to emulate reverse thrust that section is actually classed as a button action so make sure you select “No reverse zone”. If it doesn’t have a detent section leave “No reverse zone” unchecked. The rearward section of throttle travel will be treated as reverse thrust. 

Once you have mastered that we can move onto buttons which tend to be aircraft specific as some commands only apply to some aircraft.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’ll offer my advice for what it’s worth. The manuals are very comprehensive but can be off-putting to newbies.

First, disable controllers in P3D.

Next, load a favourite aircraft, bring up the FSUIPC5 menu and select Axis Assignments.

Top left is a Rescan button. Hands and feet off all controls. Hit it. Now pull your yoke backwards to emulate pitch. On the left below the Rescan button 3 radio button options should appear. Choose the top one. It will include the word ‘Direct’.

Below that is a dropdown box that is currently blank. Place a tick in the small box to its left. Then open the drop down and select Elevator.

At this point you can either make it a global setting or specific for that aircraft. To make it Global (meaning it applies to ALL aircraft) leave the Profile Specific box unchecked.

Now switch to the Calibration tab. Move through the screens until you find the Elevator setting. It should have the word ‘direct’ against it meaning it’s controlled by FSUIPC5.

Press the Reset button and then the Set one. Pull the yoke as far back as you can until the value shows -16384 or something very close and press Set. Then push it forward to its limit (16384) and press Set again.

Press OK and return to P3D in a spot plane view. Watch the elevator as you move the yoke. If it moves you’ve successfully programmed your first axis. That will work with every aircraft as you did not choose Profile Specific.

Repeat the above for Ailerons. Then switch to the Pedals and program Rudder. When you set the Left and Right Brake select the box for Reverse. If you don’t the brakes will be applied with no pressure, the opposite of what you want.

Throttles is the same procedure. If your throttle quadrant levers include a detent section to emulate reverse thrust that section is actually classed as a button action so make sure you select “No reverse zone”. If it doesn’t have a detent section leave “No reverse zone” unchecked. The rearward section of throttle travel will be treated as reverse thrust. 

Once you have mastered that we can move onto buttons which tend to be aircraft specific as some commands only apply to some aircraft.

Hope that helps.

Helps?!?  Heck this is perfect!!

I can’t thank you enough!!

Merry Christmas!

Jack Sawyer

Thanks Jack. All from memory as I’ve just installed P3D v4 myself so I’ve spent a lot of time with FSUIPC5.

Once you understand the basics it’s pretty easy. Most people will never use 80% of what the product can do.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Jack, for now just concentrate on the Yoko, TQ6 and the Ruddo units. Adding the HOTAS and Saitek may complicate things as I’ve never used two units that emulate the same actions.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

There are also some good aircraft specific Youtube Video tutorials.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

8 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Jack, for now just concentrate on the Yoko, TQ6 and the Ruddo units. Adding the HOTAS and Saitek may complicate things as I’ve never used two units that emulate the same actions.

Thanks.  I already have them connected but they’re working in FSUIPC.  I keep the stick and TPM plugged in so it doesn’t change the numbers but I read on page 21 that you can prevent number changes by using letters.

Jack Sawyer

Just now, DaveCT2003 said:

There are also some good aircraft specific Youtube Video tutorials.

Best wishes.

Thanks Dav,e despite looking at dozens I couldn’t find what I needed like the difference between profiles and global and aircraft specific and all that kind of stuff.

Jack Sawyer