Sign in to follow this  
notmyidea

Advice on Configuration Panel Settings

I am not entirely sure what options I should be setting in the configuration panel. Is it based on what works with which aircraft? I am using the GTN 750 in the A2A C172 and currently the settings are those from the Official Panel Config Mod thread for the C172. Should  I not be messing with these then? Or can someone point me in the direction of some documentation on exactly what these options do (Connect HSI/CRS, HSI/OBS, AFMS)?

Config-Panel-1.pngConfig-Panel-2.png

Jason C CYYJ

Prepar3D v5.0 | i9-10900K 5.0 GHz (OC) | Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm Rad | MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X 8GB | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200MHz (OC) | GIGABYTE Z490 Aorus Ultra | XPG GAMMIX S11 PRO 2TB NVMe SSD | Corsair RM850i 850W PS | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Dell 27 inch G-Sync 144Hz Gaming Monitor

Hi,

Settings documentation is open to improvements and I'd gladly appreciate better understanding what your own understanding is. Please allow me to ask you some questions so that through better understanding of what our customers think we can improve the way we explain these settings.

Let's start with some questions:

1. Do you know what HSI means?
  2. Do you know what OBS means?
  3. Do you know what VOR means?
  4. Do you know what CRS means?

With the above (whether you've answered yes or no):

1. In your opinion what could HSI/CRS output means?
  2. In your opinion what could HSI/OBS input means?
  3. In your opinion what could connecting the GPS to the VOR means?

As for AFMS Settings, this is the kind of 'advanced' settings you rather know how to use or just ignore. These are custom settings setup when installing a real GTN in a real aircraft and you'll find the meaning of most of these in the Garmin GTN Installation manual.

• Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Do you know what HSI means?

Do you know what OBS means?

Do you know what VOR means?

Do you know what CRS means?

Yes, I know what those mean.

In your opinion what could HSI/CRS output means?

In your opinion what could HSI/OBS input means?

In your opinion what could connecting the GPS to the VOR means?

I'm assuming that if enabled, the GPS would control them and you wouldn't have the option to change them independently unless switch to NAV via the CDI button in the GPS?

What I am looking for is that I can tune the localizer in the GPS, activate APR on the Autopilot and watch the glidescope on the VOR. Does that mean I only need to enable that option?

And I would like the VNAV guidance so I assume that has to be enabled in AFMS.

Jason C CYYJ

Prepar3D v5.0 | i9-10900K 5.0 GHz (OC) | Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm Rad | MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X 8GB | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200MHz (OC) | GIGABYTE Z490 Aorus Ultra | XPG GAMMIX S11 PRO 2TB NVMe SSD | Corsair RM850i 850W PS | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Dell 27 inch G-Sync 144Hz Gaming Monitor

Exactly, enabling the option 'connects' the GPS to the system.

• The HSI COURSE output is connected, i.e. the GPS drives the course (auto-slew?)
  • The HSI OBS input is connected, i.e. the HSI OBS value feeds the GPS (can use the HSI OBS to change the GPS in OBS mode).
  • The GPS feeds the VOR indicator, i.e. regardless of the HSI, the GPS also feeds the VOR indicator (which one is selected in the 3rd pane, gauge options).

As for VNAV and AFMS, selecting the square (blue square) enables selection, otherwise, you can see which mode is enabled if not selected (you can still see the blue dots). In this case, you can see VNAV is the default already.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 12/9/2018 at 4:47 PM, RXP said:

Exactly, enabling the option 'connects' the GPS to the system.

• The HSI COURSE output is connected, i.e. the GPS drives the course (auto-slew?)
  • The HSI OBS input is connected, i.e. the HSI OBS value feeds the GPS (can use the HSI OBS to change the GPS in OBS mode).
  • The GPS feeds the VOR indicator, i.e. regardless of the HSI, the GPS also feeds the VOR indicator (which one is selected in the 3rd pane, gauge options).

As for VNAV and AFMS, selecting the square (blue square) enables selection, otherwise, you can see which mode is enabled if not selected (you can still see the blue dots). In this case, you can see VNAV is the default already.

This was hugely helpful. Thanks for your help. 

All the best, Jason

Jason C CYYJ