Sign in to follow this  
hawx2k

VHF 8.33 kHz spacing - IVAO

Good morning,

there are more and more frequencies with 8.33 kHz spacing being used in RL and on IVAO. However, I don't seem to be able to use them with the -8 (or -400). As an example neither DEL nor GND in EDDM can be tuned (121.710 and 121.730). Also, every frequency ending with a "5" digit needs to be tuned with a "0" instead of the "5". 

Is there any solution to this or does this need to be included in a fix? IVAO basically says the add-on needs to support it, but there might be some interdependencies between IvAP and the aircraft as well...

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Jan

P3D v4.4 | Win 10

Edited by hawx2k

Hi Jan,

I thought IVAO had some sort of 25 -> 8.33 conversion process so you tune a 25kHz frequency but get the 8.33 channel?

In any event, assuming IVAP uses Simconnect to get the frequency in the same way that vPilot does, there are some technical limitations in that in its basic form Simconnect only returns the first two digits after the decimal point (the FSX COM radio system is very basic and really still rooted in the days before even 25kHz spacing was commonplace) -- this is why there is no such thing as xxx.xx5. I think there may be a way to get all three digits but there I seem to recall it would require a different method which has some drawbacks.

Having said that, it is possible for developers to create an 8.33-compliant radio because some have already done so.

Thank you Simon. This is already helpful. 

The frequencies ending with "5" indeed can be tuned by just cutting off the "5" when tuning with the VHF radio in the plane. However, and that is strange, the two other frequencies I mentioned above ending with .710 and .730 respectively can't be tuned at all although based on what you wrote above it should just take the two digits after the decimal point "71" and "73" without any issue? But it just doesn't.

And in theory, because the -8 ACP has pushbuttons rather than the old style dial knobs I can enter any frequency I want in the ACP VHF radio, however, it will return "ERR" when trying to tune to .710 or .730.

Cheers,

Jan

43 minutes ago, hawx2k said:

the two other frequencies I mentioned above ending with .710 and .730 respectively can't be tuned at all although based on what you wrote above it should just take the two digits after the decimal point "71" and "73" without any issue? But it just doesn't.

It won't tune those frequencies because they are 8.33 channels and the PMDG radio, at the moment, is 25kHz only so can only tune in 25kHz steps (.000/.025/.050 etc).

Ok, got it. So, indeed PMDG would have to update its radios. I really thought this had already been done :O. My mistake. Well, let's see if this is something PMDG can bring to be laid under the Christmas tree :).

Edited by hawx2k

4 hours ago, hawx2k said:

Ok, got it. So, indeed PMDG would have to update its radios. I really thought this had already been done :O. My mistake. Well, let's see if this is something PMDG can bring to be laid under the Christmas tree :).

Somewhat...

We base the radio off of the underlying radio implementation of the sim itself, which doesn't even support .00x frequencies (we just get lucky in the sense that the .00x frequencies can be truncated and still work as Simon explained), much less 8.33.

Kyle Rodgers