Sign in to follow this  
rgamurot

Manually Tuning ILS

I have a fictional airport (Andras Field by Aerosoft) installed and so navigating to and from the field has to be done manually. My only question is how to I tune the ILS manually into the FMC?

I understand it must be done through the NAV RAD page. The ILS entry constantly says PARK. I also understand that there are certain times ILS tuning is inhibited. I've checked the list on 11.20.7 and none of the conditions apply. I'm airborne, have been for over 10 minutes, and even tried turning off the AP and FDs to override the inhibition.

I'm also noticing that even if I try to put the ILS frequency (109.55) into the Pre-Sel line, I get an INVALID ENTRY message. But if I try to enter another frequency (117.7 is what I tried), it'll take it in that line.

I've also added the following to my NavData (most was from the Aerosoft form, the ILS entry I added myself.)

Insert in wpNavAPT.txt:
Andras Field            EAFS09 07006089 47.647667  10.746000109.5508902550
Andras Field            EAFS27 07006269 47.647833  10.776000110.5526902550

Insert in airports.dat:
EAFS 47.649382  10.760205

Insert in wpNavAID.txt:
ANDRAS                  AND  NDB  47.647727  10.742053364.00N
ANDRAS                  ANF  VORD 47.651160  10.773958115.00H
ANDRAS                  AFK  ILSD 47.647905  10.776988109.55T
ANDRAS                  AFA  ILSD 47.647722  10.744720110.55T

Is there anything I haven't tried? Or even something I'm doing wrong?

Edited by rgamurot

I know this is probably too basic to be the issue but just to make sure, you are entering the course with the frequency right? Ex “109.9/092”. I’m not sure that it will take the frequency alone without a course input but I haven’t tried it. 

Jetlinker, I'm an [word not allowed] so never assume something is too basic when it comes to me. That was precisely what I was doing wrong.

Thanks so much for your help!

And apparently the forum doesn't allow me to criticize myself... I didn't even think it was a bad word...

Edited by rgamurot

12 hours ago, Jetlinker said:

I’m not sure that it will take the frequency alone without a course input but I haven’t tried it. 

To manually tune an ILS in the QOTSII you must include the ILS inbound (front) course together with its frequency.  However, if a frequency is already displayed it is possible to input the front course only. The front course will default to the runway course if the runway is on the active route and only the frequency is entered; otherwise it defaults to 000 or the previously entered front course. 

To remove a manually tuned ILS frequency when finished just press the DEL key and insert its Scratchpad message into LSK 4L so that the ILS tuned frequency will return to PARK and then normal auto-tuning. The PRESELECT feature is useful when making approaches to two or more parallel runways, such as at KLAX, because it allows the ILS frequency and course of either one of two adjacent runways to be pre-loaded and easily selected in the event of a runway change during the approach.

Edited by berts

1 hour ago, berts said:

To manually tune an ILS in the QOTSII you must include the ILS inbound (front) course together with its frequency.  However, if a frequency is already displayed it is possible to input the front course only. The front course will default to the runway course if the runway is on the active route and only the frequency is entered; otherwise it defaults to 000 or the previously entered front course. 

To remove a manually tuned ILS frequency when finished just press the DEL key and insert its Scratchpad message into LSK 4L so that the ILS tuned frequency will return to PARK and then normal auto-tuning. The PRESELECT feature is useful when making approaches to two or more parallel runways, such as at KLAX, because it allows the ILS frequency and course of either one of two adjacent runways to be pre-loaded and easily selected in the event of a runway change during the approach.

Learn something new everyday!

Also, apologies to the moderator who warned me about my name. Should be fixed now. I typically use my phone and for whatever reason it doesn't show signatures. I thought I had already added one.

Edited by Jetlinker