Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

Are RTX 2080 ti cards that prone to failure?

I just looked at the buyers' feedback on NewEgg for the EVGA version and the comments are discouraging. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487401&Description=EVGA etc 2080 ti&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

It's true that unhappy buyers are more likely to post online comments, but the level of failing boards is remarkable. And the price is still about $500 too high for my budget. Even with that size of a theoretical discount, I'd be afraid to take a chance on a 2080.

That's the same GPU I'm using.  I'm seeing performance at par with a pair of $800 1080Ti GPUs in SLI with a lot less hassle.

Not sure that 10 bad reviews (and not necessarily 10 unique reviews) is a meaningful trend, given the volume of sales nVidia must have.  What I am confident of is eVGA's support if something goes wrong.  I had a bad GTX275 a long time ago in a place far, far away, and they didn't have any replacements in stock at the time, so they sent me a dual-GPU GTX295 that cost more than double the original card.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Considering that's 10 out of 21 responders and most of the bad reviews are the recent ones, I'd say it's not a good sign. I don't know if the EVGA forums are behind a sign-in wall but the last time I looked there, there seemed to be a higher level of hardware complaints than I can ever remember for previous generations of graphics cards. I've had EVGA graphics cards for about 9 generations now, to go along with their PSUs and mobos, all of which have been bulletproof. At one point in time, EVGA had a lifetime replacement warranty. But then it kept getting shorter and shorter. I guess that the good news is that the 2080s seem to be failing earlier rather than later.

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-20-Series-f107.aspx

Given the large amount of smoke out there....I do suspect that there is indeed a fire. I don't know if we will ever know the truth about how they got this entire 2080 thing so wrong. I did a much needed upgrade and just could not make myself pull the trigger on this release. I actually paid way too much for a 1080TI but at least I felt like it would have a better chance of lasting more than 2 days or 2 weeks. I am lucky in that I only fly GA into smaller airfields and so the 1080TI is doing a good job for now. At this point we just have to hope that the 3080s and 4080s get back on track. It still kind of makes my head spin when I think about companies this size trying to pull of a slight of hand trick like RTX hocus-pocus instead of quality control.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Best comment:

Not really fair to have a go at evga directly, rtx has been failing all over no matter what brand. At least with evga the rma process is painless!

29 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Considering that's 10 out of 21 responders and most of the bad reviews are the recent ones, I'd say it's not a good sign. I don't know if the EVGA forums are behind a sign-in wall but the last time I looked there, there seemed to be a higher level of hardware complaints than I can ever remember for previous generations of graphics cards. I've had EVGA graphics cards for about 9 generations now, to go along with their PSUs and mobos, all of which have been bulletproof. At one point in time, EVGA had a lifetime replacement warranty. But then it kept getting shorter and shorter. I guess that the good news is that the 2080s seem to be failing earlier rather than later.

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-20-Series-f107.aspx

If you look at their 10-series subforum, it looks much the same over time.  And the 900-series boards had their share of haters, too.  There are always going to be some failures, and some unhappy/disgruntled customers.  And there are also some people posting about problems with GPUs that turn out to be unstable CPU overclocks, bad system memory, weak/under-spec PSUs, etc.

After looking through some of the similar unhappy posting history on the 10-series boards, I'm not convinced the 2080Ti rollout is anything abnormal in comparison.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

11 minutes ago, w6kd said:

If you look at their 10-series subforum, it looks much the same over time.  And the 980 boards had their share of haters, too.  There are always going to be some failures, and some unhappy/disgruntled customers.  And there are also some people posting about problems with GPUs that turn out to be unstable CPU overclocks, bad system memory, weak/under-spec PSUs, etc.

After looking through some of the similar unhappy posting history on the 10-series boards, I'm not convinced the 2080Ti rollout is anything abnormal in comparison.

Regards

That is all true. When I was trying to decide on what to do, I noticed that the users in the forums like AVSIM were very out spoken and positive about the 1080TI as well as hardware reviews. I admit that the 2080s are new and less of a track record, but the trend was quite the other way. Only time will tell but, it has been an interesting ride!. LOL

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

Well I bought a 2080 Ti (Asus Dual) and it ran for one day and then shorted out in a pretty spectacular fashion...blue sparks and smoke.  It was very pretty.  So based on a random sample of one, I'm not impressed.

On that day I had the fastest GPU in the world.  Now I have the fastest GPU in the world that doesn't blow up.

Edited by nhall72

No problems here......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

18 minutes ago, nhall72 said:

On that day I had the fasted GPU in the world.  Now I have the fastest GPU in the world that doesn't blow up.

Sorry you got a bad one but that is funny!

Sam