Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Considering a monitor upgrade..... thoughts?

17 minutes ago, arwasairl said:

Just sayin', if you want a decent monitor, that won't require you getting a GTX 2080 TI, then I would really suggest the Dell Alienware AW3418HW.

U really don’t know what u are talking about.  Ran a 4k monitor with a gtx980 with no issues.

Matt Wilson

3 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

U really don’t know what u are talking about.  Ran a 4k monitor with a gtx980 with no issues.

Wow Matt, it's like I'm being arrested and you're saying, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be used against you in a court of law." 😛

Edited by arwasairl

24 minutes ago, arwasairl said:

Wow Matt, it's like I'm being arrested and you're saying, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be used against you in a court of law." 😛

It’s all good.  Your a good sport

Matt Wilson

41 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

None of which benefit P3D whatsoever.

I'd quite flying (or fly a lot less than I do now)  if had to put up with 30Hz or even 60Hz on a TV...

...oh it matters!

1 minute ago, FunknNasty said:

I'd quite flying (or fly a lot less than I do now)  if had to put up with 30Hz or even 60Hz on a TV...

...oh it matters!

Please explain your reasoning 

Matt Wilson

12 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Please explain your reasoning 

I tell you what ....you do some leg work on the subject and we'll reason together. 

You can start by showing me a video someone flying into KLAX in 4K ...while panning around inside a quality payware airliner cockpit. It would be really cool if the video had a reasonable amount of traffic with Orbix So Cal as backdrop. 

5 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

I tell you what ....you do some leg work on the subject and we'll reason together. 

You can start by showing me a video someone flying into KLAX in 4K ...while panning around inside a quality payware airliner cockpit. It would be really cool if the video had a reasonable amount of traffic with Orbix So Cal as backdrop. 

YouTube is just a click away.  I’m just asking for a simple explanation from your reply to my post.  I didn’t think it was a tough question.  Let me help with a question.  What is a better alternative to a 30/60hz TV and why?  What display do u sim with?

Matt Wilson

Just now, mpw8679 said:

YouTube is just a click away.  I’m just asking for a simple explanation from your reply to my post.  I didn’t think it was a tough question.  Let me help with a question.  What is a better alternative to a 30/60hz TV and why?  What display do u sim with?

There isn't a simple explanation ....nothing about running a sim such as P3D can be put in a nutshell.....

I'll give you this little tidbit from Steve W:

"A point often overlooked is that a human can see the difference between 110 and 120Hz, but a slightly inconsistent time between those cannot be ascertained. However if we drop down to 20Hz the human can determine a slightly inconsistent time between each. If we choose slower fps we have to concentrate on improving the consistency."

Steve W breaks it down nicely here

and here

Maybe, if we're lucky, Steve will chime in.

9 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

There isn't a simple explanation ....nothing about running a sim such as P3D can be put in a nutshell.....

I'll give you this little tidbit from Steve W:

"A point often overlooked is that a human can see the difference between 110 and 120Hz, but a slightly inconsistent time between those cannot be ascertained. However if we drop down to 20Hz the human can determine a slightly inconsistent time between each. If we choose slower fps we have to concentrate on improving the consistency."

Steve W breaks it down nicely here

and here

Maybe, if we're lucky, Steve will chime in.

If the sim FPS can not match the hz of the monitor u will have long frames and stutters.   I am curious about your experience with your G sync monitor.  My experience with G sync and P3D was horrible however that was a couple years ago.  Maybe things have matured?

Matt Wilson

10 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

If the sim FPS can not match the hz of the monitor u will have long frames and stutters.  

False! (Well, it depends on what is causing the long framse and stutters)

I don't use any kind of sync ,,,including G Sync  ...the only limiter I use is the in-game frame rate limiter (30 fps). And while frame rate is locked, the in cockpit experience feels like 150 fps (i run a 150Hz refresh rate) even if my actual fps is in the 20's.

Edited by FunknNasty
False (condtional)

12 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

False!

I don't use any kind of sync ,,,including G Sync  ...the only limiter I use is the in-game frame rate limiter (30 fps). And while frame rate is locked, the in cockpit experience feels like 150 fps (i run a 150Hz refresh rate) even if my actual fps is in the 20's.

U will have scenery micro stutters if u can’t match the FPS and hz of your monitor.  That was why the Nvidia 1/2 refresh rate from the FSX days was so important.  Unfortunately this does not work in the the windowed mode of P3D.  So we are forced to run our monitors or TV’s at 30hz to solve the stutters.  Some people apparently do not notice the scenery stutters but it sticks out like a sore thumb in my eyes.

Your claim of using no V sync, at 150hz, with FPS in the 20’s resulting in a feel like 150 FPS is quite far fetched.

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

35 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

If we choose slower fps we have to concentrate on improving the consistency

One other thought ...although not what I'm directly aiming at : Dan Downs runs 4k at 24 FPS to maintain a smooth consistent feel ....he's running two 1080 Ti's.

3 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

U will have scenery micro stutters if u can’t match the FPS and hz of your monitor.  T

Here, let me help you to fix this typo   .....you mean: I (as in you) get micro stutters if I can't match fps with hz .....

16 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

Here, let me help you to fix this typo   .....you mean: I (as in you) get micro stutters if I can't match fps with hz .....

Ok obviously u don’t or refuse to notice the micro stutters.  They are there trust me.  Isn’t that the point of G sync and free sync? To sync the computers FPS to the monitors refresh rate to eliminate stuttering?  

Matt Wilson