Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Considering a monitor upgrade..... thoughts?

12 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Ok obviously u don’t or refuse to notice the micro stutters. 

I'll ignore the above comment.

12 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

trust me.

If I did, I'd probably be flying a stuttering pmdg 747 into LAX as we speak

15 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Isn’t that the point of G sync and free sync? To sync the computers FPS to the monitors refresh rate to eliminate stuttering?  

Yes, indeed it is ....but we're talking P3D 4.4, not your garden variety program.

I'll reference a statement made by Rob A.  'P3D is a time based simulator'.  ...I wanna put an emphasis on """time"""", as in speed rules the day not size.

Get the fastest processor, memory and monitor you can find.

13 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

I'll reference a statement made by Rob A.  'P3D is a time based simulator'.  ...I wanna put an emphasis on """time"""", as in speed rules the day not size.

Robs statement enforces my argument.  If your sim is putting out 30FPS and your monitor is displaying 150hz there is a total lack of timing.  I don’t know how to respond to your last sentence.  That makes absolutely no sense.

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, mpw8679 said:

Robs statement enforces my argument.  If your sim is putting out 30FPS and your monitor is displaying 150hz there is a total lack of timing.  I don’t know how to respond to your last sentence.  That makes absolutely no sense.

I know it doesn't make any sense to the laymen ....

Again, show me a video of someone in the cockpit of a quality payware liner approaching LAX running 4k that doesn't look like fsx ...heck, Rob still hasn't produced a video that can or does LAX.  I bet the only person that chimes in around here that can 4k into LAX is Dan Downs, and he's running his 4k at  24 fps at 24Hz with TWO 1080Ti's ....but wait a minute ...lets ask Dan how that mouse feels or if panning in the cockpit feels just a bit on the laggy side.

Until 4K does 120+ Hz it's going to the weak link in the chain of events that strings together the frames we see while looking at our monitors or TV's ...and no, I'm not talking about the burden the additional pixels 4k brings over 2k or 1080p.

Dude:

when one runs 4k at 30hz, or 60hz for that matter, you have to slow the entire system down to keep everything in sync, and that's not easy to do and can be quite the cost that no seams to talk about   ...again, see Dan and his twin 1080's or Rob with twin RTX's. Try setting your 4k rig up to do 30 fps at 30 hz in Kansas and then take that setup over to the LA basin ....tell me how that works out for ya?

Believe what you will, that's fine, but do understand that there are other ways to skin a P3D cat around here ... oh, and the 150Hz on my system is independent of anything P3D is doing.

Edited by FunknNasty

5 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

I know it doesn't make any sense to the laymen ....

Again, show me a video of someone in the cockpit of a quality payware liner approaching LAX running 4k that doesn't look like fsx ...heck, Rob still hasn't produced a video that can or does LAX.  I bet the only person that chimes in around here that can 4k into LAX is Dan Downs, and he's running his 4k at  24 fps at 24Hz with TWO 1080Ti's ....but wait a minute ...lets ask Dan how that mouse feels or if panning in the cockpit feels just a bit on the laggy side.

Until 4K does 120+ Hz it's going to the weak link in the chain of events that strings together the frames we see looking at out monitors or TV's ...and no, I'm not talking about the burden the additional pixels 4k brings over 2k or 1080p.

Dude:

when one runs 4k at 30hz, or 60hz for that matter, you have to slow the entire system down to keep everything in sync, and that's not easy to do and can be quite the cost that no seams to talk about   ...again, see Dan and his twin 1080's or Rob with twin RTX's. Try setting your 4k rig up to do 30 fps at 30 hz in Kansas and then take that setup over to the LA basin ....tell me how that works out for ya?

Believe what you will, that's fine, but do understand that there are other ways to skin a P3D cat around here ... oh, and the 150Hz on my system is independent of anything P3D is doing.

I’m not sure why u keep bringing up this  KLAX argument.  Any of the modern GPU’s can handle 4K quite well.  Heck my old GTX 980 handled it fairly good.  

Matt Wilson

Just now, mpw8679 said:

I’m not sure why u keep bringing up this  KLAX argument.  Any of the modern GPU’s can handle 4K quite well.  Heck my old GTX 980 handled it fairly good.  

just disregard my last post .... sorry.

1 hour ago, avi8tir said:

Been doing some research since I posted.... the BenQ PD3200U looks great. 

Does anyone have any experience with the new LG 34" 5k2k?

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34WK95U-W-ultrawide-monitor

The LG only gets 2.8 out of 5. Hardly a ringing endorsement. Given you need to drive over 11 million pixels what graphics card do you have?

If the BenQ impressed you why look elsewhere?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

34 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The LG only gets 2.8 out of 5. Hardly a ringing endorsement. Given you need to drive over 11 million pixels what graphics card do you have?

If the BenQ impressed you why look elsewhere?

Just exploring my options.... 

I'm running an i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz and a GTX1080. 

Will probably do a new build next year sometime but this is what I have for now. 

9 minutes ago, avi8tir said:

Just exploring my options.... 

I'm running an i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz and a GTX1080. 

Will probably do a new build next year sometime but this is what I have for now. 

Doing your research is fine. I took a long time to decide on mine. The 1080 could struggle a little with UHD let alone higher.

An XHD display would give you good results. That’s 2560*1440 on a 16:9 display.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather