Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Considering a monitor upgrade..... thoughts?

I've really enjoyed my current Acer Xr34.... I've had it for almost 3 years now. 

I am considering getting a new monitor to take advantage of newer technology. 4k is a possibility. I don't think I could go down in size though...... If i did it would have to be to a 32" non-ultra wide or something like that so I would gain some screen height. I will likely keep the Xr 34 as a second monitor for EFB, flight planning purposes, etc. 

Any suggestions? 

FYI, I am running a GTX1080 on an i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz

11 minutes ago, avi8tir said:

I've really enjoyed my current Acer Xr34.... I've had it for almost 3 years now. 

I am considering getting a new monitor to take advantage of newer technology. 4k is a possibility. I don't think I could go down in size though...... If i did it would have to be to a 32" non-ultra wide or something like that so I would gain some screen height. I will likely keep the Xr 34 as a second monitor for EFB, flight planning purposes, etc. 

Any suggestions? 

A lot of people myself included are just buying 4k tv’s and use them for a monitor.  Works very well

Vizio E series or Samsung 7100 series are very good on a budget.  If I wanted to spend a little more money I would look into a Sony.

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

50 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

A lot of people myself included are just buying 4k tv’s and use them for a monitor.  Works very well

Vizio E series or Samsung 7100 series are very good on a budget.  If I wanted to spend a little more money I would look into a Sony.

There have to be drawbacks to that, arent there? 

2 hours ago, avi8tir said:

Any suggestions? 

See my sig for system details. I’ve had a BenQ PD3200 UHD monitor for a week now and couldn’t be happier. Performance is stunning with fps matching the refresh rate of 60Hz. Crucially it can also run at 30Hz so I will switch to that when I add an Ai package.

The 1080 is the minimum for UHD but you may need to adjust your settings to keep decent fps.

The BenQ is expensive but it’s a quality display. A TV is an alternative but for good quality text you need one that supports chroma 4:4:4 or HDR. Not all TVs do so do your homework.

The greatest benefit is cockpit gauges. Every subdivision is visible. It’s greatly increased my enjoyment of flying.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, avi8tir said:

Any suggestions? 

I run a BenQ PD3200U as well.  

As I said in some other thread, I had never run in 4K before, and it is so different than 1080.

One thing about a move to 4K that affected my system (but not necessarily yours) -- with 4.3 I had to start running my 8700K with hyperthreading on.  This makes sense as so much of P3D's terrain loading system is now multithreaded.    I have yet to test this with 4.4.  I may not bother as my rig maintains the 30 refresh/30 framelock so well now (read = smooth) in all conditions that I'm very satisfied.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, avi8tir said:

There have to be drawbacks to that, arent there? 

If there is I haven’t experienced any yet and I was a little skeptical going in.  My 4k tv sits right next to my $1000 acer ultra wide.  Picture quality is very similar.  I was pretty impressed for a $340 TV.

Matt Wilson

I think that the Samsung Odyssey+ is by far the best monitor on the market today. You see everything in 3D. Its so big the bezel in the outer extremities of your peripheral vision and it has built in head tracking.

Not to put to fine a point on it, its like you are in the airplane!😁

13 minutes ago, Avidean said:

I think that the Samsung Odyssey+ is by far the best monitor on the market today. You see everything in 3D. Its so big the bezel in the outer extremities of your peripheral vision and it has built in head tracking.

Not to put to fine a point on it, its like you are in the airplane!😁

But it’s a headset isn’t it? The OP specifically asked about monitors / TV.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Its a monitor that's strapped to your head. Is it not?

19 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

And you can't see your home cockpit overhead switch panel.

In VR who needs it. Just sell it to fund the transition! 😀

On 12/10/2018 at 12:18 PM, mpw8679 said:

A lot of people myself included are just buying 4k tv’s and use them for a monitor.

TVs are okay substitutions for cheaper monitors, however, things like G-Sync or Free-Sync and high refresh rate won't be on a TV. (Refresh rate can go up to 120Hz, but those are pretty expensive.)

Most TVs are 60Hz, and while I doubt anybody can manage 4K with 60 FPS in P3D, you might want to play or use other games or other software, and you might want more than 60 FPS.

Also, if you use dynamic reflections, (as described on the FlightSimLabs forums) your graphics card might not be able to handle 4K. 

Just sayin', if you want a decent monitor, that won't require you getting a GTX 2080 TI, then I would really suggest the Dell Alienware AW3418HW.

It's 160Hz, IPS panel, 34" and has G-Sync

Edited by arwasairl
  • Like 1

Aaron Kim

MOS 8502 @ 2Mhz, 512 KB 1750 Ram Expansion Unit, VIC-II E (40 columns mode), SID 6581 3-voice sound chip. 

그래요!! 

12 minutes ago, arwasairl said:

TVs are okay substitutions for cheaper monitors, however, things like G-Sync or Free-Sync and high refresh rate won't be on a TV. (Refresh rate can go up to 120Hz, but those are pretty expensive.)

None of which benefit P3D whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

1 minute ago, mpw8679 said:

None of which benefit P3D whatsoever.

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Aaron Kim

MOS 8502 @ 2Mhz, 512 KB 1750 Ram Expansion Unit, VIC-II E (40 columns mode), SID 6581 3-voice sound chip. 

그래요!! 

15 minutes ago, arwasairl said:

Most TVs are 60Hz, and while I doubt anybody can manage 4K with 60 FPS in P3D, you might want to play or use other games or other software, and you might want more than 60 FPS.

Most if not all 4K pc monitors are limited to 60hz

Matt Wilson