Sign in to follow this  
kneighbour

How to 'trigger' takeoff clearance on country strips

I fly a lot in my DO-228 (in XP) from small country strips, and usually VFR. There are often no hold points. You taxi out a few meters to the runway, turn left or right and taxi down to the end of the runway and turn around. Then take off. The problem is that there is no point where I can say "callname holding short runway 22". How does one trigger the next phase of ATC control?

Also - there is usually no tower or clearance frequencies at these strips. I normally contact Tower at the nearest big city (usually hundreds of miles away). Is this the normal practice?  The Freq window pops up with quite a few possible radio frequencies and I work my way through each one (practically at random) finding one where I get possible interactions. What is the best way to find the 'correct' frequency?

Please excuse me - I am not a pilot! I understand that it is not possible to include a full PPL Ground School class here, but some pointers would be appreciated.

Edited by kneighbour

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

At Non-Towered airfields when VFR you must tune to the Unicom frquency as published in the airport directory guide.  Then announce to any or everyone your intention, ie.airport x traffic  N12345 taxing to runway 12.airport x traffic OR airport x traffic N12345 taking off runway 12 air-port x traffic.  IFR is a bit different depending if you want your clearance in the air or on the ground.

The FAA has free publications on all of that kind of stuff.  Google it.  

thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I could be wrong, but the few Unicom frequencies I tried did not bring up any allowed phrases in P2A, so I could not do anything. Is this expected in P2A?

Edited by kneighbour

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

Unicom is a "Local" Frequency. Only other pilots on that frq. near that field would be hearing you.  ATC is not involved at all (non-towered VFR) in the situation you described. So there should be no reason to contact, or try to contact them.  This would or could change if going IFR OR wanting flight following; however both might need to be initiated in the air if no controller is within range. Again all you do on UNICOM is announce what you are doing so (in the real world) anyone around that non towered field can VISUALLY look for you and avoid or adjust themselves to you.  Lots of simple rules are in play around non-towered fields to keep everyone safe and predictable.

Google FAA Pilot handbooks... they are free and full of great info.

• Like 1

As a licensed private pilot, my understanding is the CTAF, or Common Traffic Advisory Frequency, is indicated on aviation charts near the airport identified as a small "c" within a circle, or the FAA Chart Supplement (formerly, "A/FD") under the Communications segment .  That's the frequency to self-announce on. I'm new to Pilot2ATC, so I do not yet know if the program works this way.  The Unicom frequency usually connects with the FBO at an airport, i.e., a commercial business, where you can call for fuel, arrange a rental car, ask for eyes on the sky about current weather or conditions, etc.  Pilots will be listening to the ctaf for action by other local traffic.

Edited by pleader
Correct "A/FD" spelling. Clarify ctaf usage.