Sign in to follow this  
wrap23

TCAS RA Scenario?

I would like to demonstrate the maneuver for responding to TCAS RA. Is there a way to set that up or do you have to deliberately "run down" a virtual aircraft target?

Thanks,

Don

Don Spence

ASUS Prime Z390-A, i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz, EVGA 1080 Ti SC2, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum cooler, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2TB, 2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD, CORSAIR RMX White RM850X  PSU, CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X RGB Case, Dell U3818DW

9 hours ago, wrap23 said:

do you have to deliberately "run down" a virtual aircraft target?

This....but:

9 hours ago, wrap23 said:

I would like to demonstrate the maneuver for responding to TCAS RA.

Please have a look at the EULA for your product.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

I appreciate the aircraft that PMDG has developed and respect the talent of the individuals that created them. I have purchased the rights to entertain myself with a couple of those aircraft.

The other evening the topic of discussion with my son made its way to aviation, aviation accidents, and then further to aircraft warning systems. I don't believe I violated the EULA that I agreed to when I attempted to show my son what a simulated TCAS RA might look like in the comfort of my own home.

"This software may not be used to demonstrate the airplane, airplane systems, operational norms, flows, procedures or other pilot knowledge application in a classroom or training environment without being supplemented by the appropriate commercial license."

After 36 years in aviation terms such as "scenario" and "demonstrate" are just part of my lexicon. 

Respectfully,

Don Spence

Edited by wrap23

Don Spence

ASUS Prime Z390-A, i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz, EVGA 1080 Ti SC2, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum cooler, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2TB, 2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD, CORSAIR RMX White RM850X  PSU, CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X RGB Case, Dell U3818DW

2 hours ago, wrap23 said:

Kyle,

I appreciate the aircraft that PMDG has developed and respect the talent of the individuals that created them. I have purchased the rights to entertain myself with a couple of those aircraft.

The other evening the topic of discussion with my son made its way to aviation, aviation accidents, and then further to aircraft warning systems. I don't believe I violated the EULA that I agreed to when I attempted to show my son what a simulated TCAS RA might look like in the comfort of my own home.

"This software may not be used to demonstrate the airplane, airplane systems, operational norms, flows, procedures or other pilot knowledge application in a classroom or training environment without being supplemented by the appropriate commercial license."

After 36 years in aviation terms such as "scenario" and "demonstrate" are just part of my lexicon. 

Respectfully,

Don Spence

Don on your initial post you had not clarify what exactly meant by demonstrate hence Kyle EULA mention. Of course showing it your son is not breaking the EULA 🙂

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Since it has been clarified with what the demonstration meant. It is not possible in the sim it self as there is no target available. For this you would need to be on vatsim or ivao. Then it can only happen when you have another pilot willing to help you plus an air traffic controller who accepts the demonstration and guides you into an area where it can be tested so to speak.

note Do have a look at the guidelines for vatsim and ivao as what can be done. The controller is the boss in this.

Edited by ph-cxz
Added info

4 minutes ago, ph-cxz said:

Since it has been clarified with what the demonstration meant. It is not possible in the sim it self as there is no target available. For this you would need to be on vatsim or ivao. Then it can only happen when you have another pilot willing to help you plus an air traffic controller who accepts the demonstration and guides you into an area where it can be tested so to speak.

note Do have a look at the guidelines for vatsim and ivao as what can be done. The controller is the boss in this.

Not true. AI traffic can be seen in the TCAS. No need to be online in a network. When I fly offline I am using UT Live and have TCAS targets normally.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

8 minutes ago, Olympic260 said:

Not true. AI traffic can be seen in the TCAS. No need to be online in a network. When I fly offline I am using UT Live and have TCAS targets normally.

While I agree with you on that I probably should have clarified that mine was more of a complete package involving atc. 

8 hours ago, wrap23 said:

Kyle,

Respectfully,

Don Spence

I would ask that you return to my earlier post and note the lack - in entirety - of an accusation of a violation. I asked you to review the EULA because your reference to "scenario" and "demonstrate" were unclear. Nothing more. If I believed there were an actual issue, I would have stated as much. If anything, it was an extension of trust - in other words, I was unclear on your intent, but trusted you to have a look at the EULA and make that determination on your own.

After 36 years in aviation, the concept of clear communication should be par for the course. If your response to a controller were vague, you'd get push back of some sort. That doesn't mean they're kicking off an ATSAP and giving you a phone number.

Edited by scandinavian13

Kyle Rodgers