Sign in to follow this  
stinger2k2

My new yoke

I think I'm impressed! Also I imagine a few of us, at least, would like to know details on its construction and functionality, if you're motivated to share that.

Nice cockpit btw!

Greg 

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Wow, you spent some time there building that panel and yoke. Very nice setup.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Hi Keith. You are some man!! My wife Sandra is very impressed. Oh and the yoke looks good too LOL.

Best Regards...Ken.

Very nice indeed. I sometimes am just amazed at the talent and dedication that I see in this hobby. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

20 hours ago, Chocorua said:

I think I'm impressed! Also I imagine a few of us, at least, would like to know details on its construction and functionality, if you're motivated to share that.

Nice cockpit btw!

Greg 

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the comments. Here's how i made it

Step 1: Print a picture of the real thing and make it life size.

Step 2: Using the pic as a template i cut 4 pieces of mdf approx 5mm inside the pic dimensions. With two of these pieces i cut a hole to act as a central cavity then i glued all four pieces together.

Step 3: i stuck 7mm balsa wood to all sides except the back, then sanded to shape.

Step 4: i stuck more balsa to the lower edges of the hand grips and sanded to shape.

Step 5: i covered the whole thing with a 2mm layer of car filler the sanded back to shape.

Step 6 : I cut two pieces of 1.5mm aluminium to the shape of the left hand switch module, stuck 5mm balsa to the back of one piece, then using balsa and filler i made the semi-circle part which joins the two halves of the switch module.I stuck this to the front plate of the module.

Step 7: i took the existing Saitek handle off and used the small circuit board for the hat switch and 3 momentary switches of my switch module. 

Step 8: Using a Dremel, i routed out the cavity deep enough to take the circuit board of the switch module.I also routed a small cavity on the right side for 1x12mm momentary switch.

Step 9: I cut a hole in the front(hidden by the front silver plate) to access the main cavity. On the back i cut a hole to feed through the Saitek wiring.

Step 10. Using the Dremel i engraved the line under the silver part of the handles, then spray painted the silver and black. I used textured black paint.

Step 11: i used the plastic collar on the back if the existing Saitek handle and bolted this to the back of my new handle.

Step 12: I fed the wiring through and up the the internal cavity and wired to my switch module. The module was then fitted by using the back plate, screwed into the rear of the yoke handle and also screwed to the semi-circle bridge between front and back plates.No fixing of the front plate was needed.

Step 13: I made the front silver plate using balsa and car filler, then Dremeled out the plane motif. I used a piece of aluminium for the checklist holder, to which i fitted two springs that run through to the back of the main silver front plate.Then this was painted silver and stuck to the front of the yoke with a little double sided tape (for easy access if needed 😊)

Easy! 

I have a hat switch,  trim up and trim down, and a change view switch on the left module. I have a "push to talk" switch on the right for talking to FSX atc.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions  😊

All the best

Stinger

20 hours ago, killthespam said:

Wow, you spent some time there building that panel and yoke. Very nice setup.

Thanks Alex, see my reply to Greg for more details of how it was made.

Cheers

Stinger

3 hours ago, kenny584 said:

Hi Keith. You are some man!! My wife Sandra is very impressed. Oh and the yoke looks good too LOL.

Best Regards...Ken.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the comments. See my reply to Greg for more details of how it was made.

I hope this is all setting things up nicely for you and your project with your wife 🙂

Cheers

Keith

13 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Very nice indeed. I sometimes am just amazed at the talent and dedication that I see in this hobby. 

Many thanks Sam, see my reply to Greg for more details.

cheers

Stinger

3 minutes ago, dheyer said:

Impressive! Truly handcrafted.

Thanks for your comment. I just wanted to share my hard work 😊

2 hours ago, stinger2k2 said:

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the comments. Here's how i made it

Step 1: Print a picture of the real thing and make it life size.

Step 2: Using the pic as a template i cut 4 pieces of mdf approx 5mm inside the pic dimensions. With two of these pieces i cut a hole to act as a central cavity then i glued all four pieces together.

Step 3: i stuck 7mm balsa wood to all sides except the back, then sanded to shape.

Step 4: i stuck more balsa to the lower edges of the hand grips and sanded to shape.

Step 5: i covered the whole thing with a 2mm layer of car filler the sanded back to shape.

Step 6 : I cut two pieces of 1.5mm aluminium to the shape of the left hand switch module, stuck 5mm balsa to the back of one piece, then using balsa and filler i made the semi-circle part which joins the two halves of the switch module.I stuck this to the front plate of the module.

Step 7: i took the existing Saitek handle off and used the small circuit board for the hat switch and 3 momentary switches of my switch module. 

Step 8: Using a Dremel, i routed out the cavity deep enough to take the circuit board of the switch module.I also routed a small cavity on the right side for 1x12mm momentary switch.

Step 9: I cut a hole in the front(hidden by the front silver plate) to access the main cavity. On the back i cut a hole to feed through the Saitek wiring.

Step 10. Using the Dremel i engraved the line under the silver part of the handles, then spray painted the silver and black. I used textured black paint.

Step 11: i used the plastic collar on the back if the existing Saitek handle and bolted this to the back of my new handle.

Step 12: I fed the wiring through and up the the internal cavity and wired to my switch module. The module was then fitted by using the back plate, screwed into the rear of the yoke handle and also screwed to the semi-circle bridge between front and back plates.No fixing of the front plate was needed.

Step 13: I made the front silver plate using balsa and car filler, then Dremeled out the plane motif. I used a piece of aluminium for the checklist holder, to which i fitted two springs that run through to the back of the main silver front plate.Then this was painted silver and stuck to the front of the yoke with a little double sided tape (for easy access if needed 😊)

Easy! 

I have a hat switch,  trim up and trim down, and a change view switch on the left module. I have a "push to talk" switch on the right for talking to FSX atc.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions  😊

All the best

Stinger

Thanks Stinger, awesome work. Now let's see, where did I toss that old Saitek yoke...

cheers,

Greg 

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

23 hours ago, rwilson881 said:

Great work. I'm jealous.

Thanks, not too hard to build. It helps make my cockpit more realistic. Feels a bit weird after using the standard Saitek yoke for so long though !

Cheers

Stinger