Sign in to follow this  
ptysimmer

Prepar3DV4.3 2D Panel

Hello ! Can anybody share your experince using PMDG 737NGX Base Product with 2D Panel on PREPAR3DV4? I dont like VC nd I am thinking of switching to PREPAR3D as long as I can still fly with 2D Panel...... Can Anyone share a Photo of the Panel on PREPAR3DV4?

Thanks!!

Personally I don’t use the 2D panels, so I can not comment on my experience. However This YouTube video shows you all of the PMDG 737 2D panels in all of their glory. 

Good luck with your decision.

supporter.jpg

Thanks,

Randall Coultas

Spoiler

Flight Sim: P3Dv4,4/ PC: i6700K @ 4.0Ghz / Asus Maximus VIII Hero / NZXT Kraken X61 / 16Gb ram / 2 X Samsung 840 EVO SSD 500Gb / WD Black 1TB / Geforce GTX 980ti

Honestly... to pay for P3D and not using the VC is pointless. Almost none of the addons even use any 2D cockpit anymore and half the experience using P3D focuses on te virtual cockpit. If you don‘t want to use it it‘s probably a waste of money for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

Honestly... to pay for P3D and not using the VC is pointless. Almost none of the addons even use any 2D cockpit anymore and half the experience using P3D focuses on te virtual cockpit. If you don‘t want to use it it‘s probably a waste of money for you.

++1

28 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

Personally I think VC’s are a little overrated at times. There have been some great 2D panels out there over the years that look much more realistic then a lot of VC’s which look kinda tacky and fake. 

Half the experience on the VC is P3D? Is that so you can spend more time  looking at nasty washed out, stutterey scenery? Exciting. 

I use P3d, and have since V3,  and don't have any "nasty washed out, stutterey scenery." If you do, there probably is something wrong with your setup.

Bob Zolto

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

1 hour ago, Bob_Z said:

I use P3d, and have since V3,  and don't have any "nasty washed out, stutterey scenery." If you do, there probably is something wrong with your setup.

Totally agree.

Regards.

Zdenek  Cebis

9 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

Personally I think VC’s are a little overrated at times. There have been some great 2D panels out there over the years that look much more realistic then a lot of VC’s which look kinda tacky and fake. 

Half the experience on the VC is P3D? Is that so you can spend more time  looking at nasty washed out, stutterey scenery? Exciting. 

Of course my opinion is very subjectiv. However the addons I use, scenery and aircraft, are of high quality. This is for example PMDG, A2A, Majestic and FSL. Yes, two of the four still provide 2D panels. But when I switched from FSX to P3D3 I did that for the plus of visual quality. Sure, the by default added scenery is pretty much the same as in FSX, but the hugh improvements are visible inside the VC. Great HD textures and with the use of TrackIR and VR for me and camera addons for others it became a great experience and realistic feeling to use those addons. The 2D panels provide the functionality of the airplane, but nothing else. 

I dare to assert that almost all people who keep flying with the 2D panels do it because they haven‘t found a comfortable and suiting option to move around in there. This may refer to their age of because they aren‘t informing themselves for various reasons. And I believe that, if they had good camera addons (software or hardware) they would change their mind quite fast. 

But still, the functionality of FSX and P3D addons is almost the same. So upgrading to P3D for 200 dollars is a waste of money if you don‘t „want to“ enjoy the visual gimmics.

(my scenery isn‘t washed out btw. I use ORBX but even the default scenery is sharp. Not detailed but not washed out either)

Edited by Ephedrin

I actually objected to the switch to the VC around a decade ago, but looking back, all of the reasons I listed that I didn't want to ditch the 2D for the VC were all rooted in my resistance to change. Yes, it takes effort to get used to, but the experience is so much better once you do get used to it.

I don't say that lightly, either. My rants about how the change to VC would end the world, somewhat sadly, got lost in the AVSIM Server Loss of [whenever that happened a while back]. I hated the idea of getting used to something new. 2D panels pain me to look at now, though.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

I actually objected to the switch to the VC around a decade ago, but looking back, all of the reasons I listed that I didn't want to ditch the 2D for the VC were all rooted in my resistance to change

Spot-on, Kyle.You encapsulated the way I was against VCs, no matter which plane.

Yes VCs are great, but 2D panels are absolutely essential for cockpit builders like myself. Sitting in a hardware cockpit is more immersive than a VC, so please don't ever take them away PMDG! And to answer the OP,  my experience with them is great.

• Like 1

Darren Morris

4 hours ago, curbz said:

Yes VCs are great, but 2D panels are absolutely essential for cockpit builders like myself. Sitting in a hardware cockpit is more immersive than a VC, so please don't ever take them away PMDG! And to answer the OP,  my experience with them is great.

I don't think you will see any 2D panels in any future product.  The NGX may be the last. However, PMDG has an active development in an area that will interest you a lot more than those bit mapped panels.

Dan Downs KCRP

10 hours ago, curbz said:

What do you need 2D panels for as a cockpit builder? I mean this a serious question, nothing sarcastic. I see a point not to display a virtual cockpit but with default key assignments you just need to press F10 for that. The cockpit is around you. Is it needed to set the cockpit up for example using FSUIPC macros? 

32 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

What do you need 2D panels for as a cockpit builder? I mean this a serious question, nothing sarcastic. I see a point not to display a virtual cockpit but with default key assignments you just need to press F10 for that. The cockpit is around you. Is it needed to set the cockpit up for example using FSUIPC macros? 

A lot of the "simpler" builds are a bunch of monitors arranged in approximate locations of where the panels would be. Not hardware based as much as monitors spread around to take care of being able to look around with your head, instead of mouse+spacebar. As such, having 2D panels to put on those monitors helps them out. They aren't mounting monitors behind hardware bezels and hardware switches like you might be thinking (in which case, you'd only need a few pop ups of the displays).

Kyle Rodgers

I have a mix of 2D panels and undocked displays mounted on monitors behind facia. So PFD, ND and EICAS undocked displays, overhead and CDU are 2D panels both on separate touch screens as I can't afford these as hardware. I have EFIS, MCP, throttles, radios, captain/FO sixes, and the majority of the main panel as hardware.

Darren Morris