Sign in to follow this  

Jet flame out?

Are there any 3rd party aircraft that simulate a flame out for extreme ice conditions or very heavy rainfall or from compressor stall/surge?  I don't think any sim currently simulates ash (i.e. like our recent California wild fires) so I'll ignore that possibility.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm pretty sure he Maddog X simulates failure due to ice FOD, I’m not sure about water ingestion though. Same goes for the Majestic Q400 in icing conditions if you fail to open the bypass doors. The older version of the PMDG 747 could also suffer flameouts in heavy rains.  I’m not sure if the QOTS II supports it, but PMDG usually doesn’t remove features. Now that we have weather radar I usually avoid those areas of heavy percip instead of stumbling into them like I used to before, otherwise I’d probably have a more definitive answer. 

On the X-plane side the Hotstart TBM 900 requires the inertial separator open when in precipitation. 

Unlike volcanic ash, ash from forest fires typically isn’t an issue for aircraft, other than maybe dirtier than normal air filters. Volcanic ash on the other hand is not only highly abrasive, but it will melt and fuse inside the hot section making a mess of things.

Brian W

KPAE

Theoretically at least, the CFM 56 shouldn't flame out nowadays owing to the redesign which was made to the shape of the CFM 56's spinner (in 2003), which disperses water better. This following the NTSB report into why the engines of Garuda Indonesia Flight 421 flamed out when it went through a rain storm and ended up having to belly land in the Bengawan Solo in what was a remarkable bit of flying.

Having said that, CFM does still recommend that, in spite of the redesign of its engine intake, it's still not a great idea to have the engines throttled all the way back when entering heavy rainfall. There is a good episode of the TV series, Mayday, called 'River Runway' which examines the Garuda Flight 421 incident and it goes into quite some detail about how investigators determined it was possible for the CFM 56 to flame out in a rain shower. Unlike some of the overly dramatic and tediously drawn out episodes of such TV shows like that, this particular one is well worth a watch.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Majestic Q400 will flame out if you're unprotected in ice for a prolonged period. The PMDG J41 had ice visual ice accretion but no idea if that's had an impact on aircraft performance.

Not aware of any tools that add that kinda functionality back in to existing jet products, but there is a free tool that enhanced piston engine simulation in FS2004 called FS Real Engine v1.4 that added things like spark plug fouling. I dunno if @teson1 has updated it since, could be worth looking in to and seeing if jet and P3Dv4 support was added?

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

The milviz T38 simulates compressor stalls with mishandling , and bird strikes based on a speed height probability envelope based on real world data. 

It's a fantastic aircraft add on all round, great to fly with an external flight model.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Thank you all, great information.

I have the T38, Q400, and PMDG 747 ... pretty sure I've accidentally done a flame out in the T38 with too frequent/aggressive throttle action.

What about from high AOA and low speeds (assuming no stall) ... or is that a thing of the past for modern commercial jet engines?

Cheers, Rob.