Sign in to follow this  
RXP

RXP GNS V2 and GTN database update

The RXP GNS 530W/430W V2 is compatible with some of the database files included in the GTN Trainer:

- The Aviation database:
   worldwide.bin for the GNS

006-d0170-00.bin for the GTN (v6.1.1 for example)

- The Base map:

bmap.bin for both trainers

Should you want to try other database files, we suggest you first make a backup of the existing files. Then you can either choose to overwrite the files, which you can restore with the backup later if needed. Otherwise, you can configure the GNS to use a different DB folder (documented in the user's manual).

Disclaimer: the technical information in this post does not grant you any other right than Garmin's Trainer EULA. Please make sure you comply to the EULA prior attempting this.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

The database files in the latest version of GTN Trainer (6.2.1.1) seem to be different.

Which file corresponds with worldwide.bin?

I can't find 006-d0170-00.bin or something similar.

Thanks!

Bernard Nieberg CPP6 Ontario, Canada

cubsig.jpg 

I'd suppose the worldwide database is larger than the americas database, hence infer the largest file of the two is 'worldwide' and the smallest of the two is 'americas'.

This way of thinking should help find the correct database in the future is they change the name again!

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

The DB is 6.21 is named differently. Nav_DB1 or something similar to that. Ive tried renaming to the same as 6.0.1 with no success.

If you try to rename any DB file to the GTN DB file name, instead of the GNS DB file name, this won't work: the GNS database file name is "worldwide.bin"

So you just need to:

1) make a backup of your GNS DB folder ( typically "C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\GNS Trainer\GNS\db" )

2) copy the bmap.bin to the GNS "DB" folder

3) a ) either copy the nav_db2.bin from the GTN as "worldwide.bin" for the GNS

or

b ) copy nav_db2.bin into the GNS "DB" folder and use the "GNSDBFILE" environment variable to tell the GNS (see user's manual).

Please note this is working with GTN trainer 6.1.1 (the one with our GTN), not tested with the trainer 6.21.1 (for this one, let us know here!)

I'll happily buy a beer for whoever figures that one out  :Party:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Bert

Hi,

I followed your instruction and successfully updated the bmap.bin and worldwide.bin using the files from the GTN 6.1.1

Then I tried with the 6.211, I found the files copied them over the the GNS but no success, the nav_db2.bin file that I renamed worldwide.bin is not working.

Has someone magged to use this file from the 6.211 ?

Hi,

I read the manual but I do not understand were I should add/modify

GNSDBFILE="C:\Users\MyName\Documents\gns_db.bin"

Can you tell me it this to a ini file were is it?

Thanks

Copied from the manual:

This chapter describes supported Windows environment variables to configure alternate trainer paths in a typical scenario.

Footnote in the manual:

how to add environment variables: http://www.kunal-chowdhury.com/2016/09/windows-10-anniversary-update-how-to-edit-environment-variables.html

Thanks,

About : I tried with the 6.211, I found the files copied them over the the GNS but no success, the nav_db2.bin file that I renamed worldwide.bin is not working.

Any idea why ? is it working for you ?

From the GTN trainer 6.11 I got the 0716 Nav data working, as I understand the 6.211 has the 1116 nav dat but as said not working or not recnized when copied over to the GNS db folder as worldwide.bin?

This seems normal: the db format as changed with the latest GTN trainer in order for the DB file to include runways length less than 4000ft. This is a new format (well slightly changed) sufficient to render the older GNS DB loader failing to recognize the DB. This is working only with GTN Trainer 6110 for now, until we have a deeper look at the causes with the newest GTN trainer db.