Sign in to follow this  
RXP

RXP GNS V2 and GTN database update

9 minutes ago, IFRguy said:

I'm pretty sure nav_db2.bin is the newer Garmin DB format and will not work with the GNS series.

The problem many have is that the GNS worldwide.bin file is 10 years old and lacks both waypoints and newer IFR procedures.

I'm not sure where you got the instructions mentioned. The GNS devices mainly need the "worldwide.bin" file.

You can rename the bin file to worldwide.bin.

Bert

13 minutes ago, turner112 said:

Hi Bert - thanks - where do I actually put it, though?

If using this for GNS, just rename file to worldwide.bin and place in the usual folder: Garmin\GNS400W-500W Trainer\Trainer

Depending on which version of the GNS530 you have installed , the worldwide.bin file may be in the  Garmin\GNS Trainer\GNS\db folder..

• Like 2

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:
If using this for GNS, just rename file to worldwide.bin and place in the usual folder: Garmin\GNS400W-500W Trainer\Trainer

Depending on which version of the GNS530 you have installed , the worldwide.bin file may be in the  Garmin\GNS Trainer\GNS\db folder..

I have the newest version(s) of the 530 and 430... How can I point it to the right Trainer installation? I recall seeing setting somewhere (I'll look again) but not sure where I saw that, or how to change if I move the Trainer installation.

2 minutes ago, turner112 said:

I have the newest version(s) of the 530 and 430... How can I point it to the right Trainer installation? I recall seeing setting somewhere (I'll look again) but not sure where I saw that, or how to change if I move the Trainer installation.

Not sure what you are asking.. but why not work with the default locations?

Bert

1 minute ago, turner112 said:

For starters, I installed the Garmin Trainer on my D drive... 

I'm asking how the RXP equipment finds the correct data.

I'll wait for someone else to jump in...  :unsure:

Bert

1 hour ago, turner112 said:

I'm asking how the RXP equipment finds the correct data.

Hi, please make sure to start reading the RXP GNS User's Manual for such information. It is explained in details.

Also please note my post you are referring to is quite specific to re-using a specific GTN trainer version database file into the GNS. 

Reading the entire discussion reveals there are 2 DB formats: an older (ADB1) and a newer (ADB2). This has nothing to do with the file names, only with how/what the binary data inside these files. The GNS is reading ADB1 only and the latest GTN Trainers (since 6.21 if not before) are reading both but install ADB2 files only.

I STRONGLY suggest you CAREFULLY read WORD by WORD this discussion recommended posts showing up at the top of the first page...

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

You can change some settings using environment variables.

From the RXP manual:

GNSADBFILE="C:\Users\MyName\Documents\gns_db.bin"
GNSODBFILE="C:\Users\MyName\Documents\terrain.odb"

You can't make the NavData file work just by renaming it to "worldwide.bin". There are two versions of the database. If it has a "_db2.bin" ending it won't work, no matter what you name it. GTN Trainer files past about 6.2 won't work as they use the _db2 format.

Here's a handy link discussing the GTN and use of SD cards and how they are locked to a specific box & user:

https://www.diamondaviators.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5584

The GNS uses proprietary cards that need a special USB programmer. I've described how I extracted the avtn_db.bin file earlier in this thread. This method doesn't seem to work for euro versions of JDM. Some people claim that it is a kind of .iso file but I haven't been able to make that work. As I've explained elsewhere, the .bin file you can download using JDM is only a temp file for JDM and can be anything Jepp wants it to be.

Edited by RXP
changed to newer environement var names (older names are still working though)
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sad to say this lack of nav data support is a showstopper, it's a decent product, but after too much time struggling with exceedingly outdated Navdata I'm finding myself  going back to the Laminar built in's ...

I think it is on RealityXP to solve this problem, it should NOT be the end users who have to find some way to acquire a worldwide.bin file. The current method of "sharing" somewhat newer copies of data, which comes from ...? While it is kind of those who share, it's not very legit.

Great product, but not usable if you are a current real life pilot and trying to use it to enhance currency.  

If somebody can tell me where to purchase, real navdata for it that is not a hack to make work, and at a realistic price (i.e. like Navigraph) I'd love to keep using it.

I paid $$$ for the product, as a paying customer I feel this is a reasonable expectation.  

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, n85ae said:

Sad to say this lack of nav data support is a showstopper, it's a decent product, but after too much time struggling with exceedingly outdated Navdata I'm finding myself  going back to the Laminar built in's ...

I think it is on RealityXP to solve this problem, it should NOT be the end users who have to find some way to acquire a worldwide.bin file. The current method of "sharing" somewhat newer copies of data, which comes from ...? While it is kind of those who share, it's not very legit.

Great product, but not usable if you are a current real life pilot and trying to use it to enhance currency.  

If somebody can tell me where to purchase, real navdata for it that is not a hack to make work, and at a realistic price (i.e. like Navigraph) I'd love to keep using it.

I paid $$$ for the product, as a paying customer I feel this is a reasonable expectation.  

Jeff

When you pay $50 for a product, it is not IMHO a "reasonable expectation" that it will perform like its $5000 real world counterpart..

The realistic price for current Garmin/Jeppesen navdata is the price that Garmin sells it for (to real pilots like yourself)..

Some of us consider ourselves lucky that expired navdata (which again in IMHO has no commercial value) is being shared, just like expired paper charts are often freely available at Airfield Pilot Shops.

For most flightsimmers, this allows us to have an "as real as it gets" approximation of flight.  :cool:

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

On 3/15/2019 at 10:33 AM, n85ae said:

Jeff

This is not an issue with Reality XP.  Garmin just does not release databases.  You can personally buy one for $1000 plus but I don't think you want to invest that much money.  Any further discussions of distribution of databases with links will be removed as AVSIM has a strict policy of no piracy.  I can guarantee you this thread is being watched by appropriate authorities.  You paid for a database and a gauge.  That's all you will get unless Garmin releases a free update.  So please stop asking!

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:12 PM, Bert Pieke said:

You can rename the bin file to worldwide.bin.

You can not rename a DB2 file.

Jon

http://www.ruscool.co.nzBanner_MJC5.png05_10_2012_14_25_54_C-GLXV_New_Paint_Apr

P3D 4.5:), X-Plane 11.55:(, MSFS 2020:), MJC Q400, Saab 340A, CRJ550, B1900, X-Crafts ERJ/EMB; Win 10x64, 32GB Ram, Samsung drives, RTX 3070 GPU, 5.3 Ghz Intel 1200. Turboprops and RJ's only.

9 minutes ago, B1900 said:

You can not rename a DB2 file.

Jon

No, but you can rename an avtn_db.bin file to worldwide.bin.

Bert

11 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

No, but you can rename an avtn_db.bin file to worldwide.bin.

OK, but gp back to your original statement - you were replying to DB2. Confusing the issue.

Jon

http://www.ruscool.co.nzBanner_MJC5.png05_10_2012_14_25_54_C-GLXV_New_Paint_Apr

P3D 4.5:), X-Plane 11.55:(, MSFS 2020:), MJC Q400, Saab 340A, CRJ550, B1900, X-Crafts ERJ/EMB; Win 10x64, 32GB Ram, Samsung drives, RTX 3070 GPU, 5.3 Ghz Intel 1200. Turboprops and RJ's only.