Sign in to follow this  
RXP

RXP GNS V2 and GTN database update

Thank you David P.; I'll try to follow the threads. Honestly, just a short set of steps to follow would be best for me.

On 12/11/2018 at 3:36 PM, IFRguy said:

I recently purchased the RXP 530W sim and was hoping for a newer database- no such luck. I have a Jeppesen sub but didn't know how to get that info into the Garmin GNS Trainer and thence into the RXP sim. But, I figured it out!

Herewith a method for updating the database, PROVIDED you can get a copy of the Jeppesen NavData update file. It's possible you need the Waas version; that's all I have.

1. Using Jepp's JDM, choose to download the file, i.e. don't do a "Transfer to Device". It will place a file into e.g. c:\ProgramData\Jeppesen\jdm\.jsum\download\dXXXX.bin. The cycle # (current=1813) will be in the name.

Some people think this file is mysterious: it's not. It's a disk image in the old DOS FAT16 format. All you need is a program to transfer the .bin file to a USB drive and you can read its contents directly, at least on a Windows PC. I used Win32DiskImager, which you can find on SourceForge.

2. Now get a USB drive with contents you don't care about (it will be erased).

3. Run Win32DiskImager, then browse to find the file listed in 1). Make sure the output drive is the USB you plan to erase. Press the "Write". button.

4. Look at the contents of the drive you just imaged. It has a file named avtn_db.bin. That's your new "worldwide.bin" file.

5. Rename your old worldwide.bin file(s). It's in the Garmin Trainer folder(s). You may have more than one Trainer install: I did.

6. Copy avtn_db.bin to wherever you find a Trainer install w/a worldwide.bin file and change the name to worldwide.bin.

7. You're done!

I had hoped I could get a Navigraph sub and convert it to a new worldwide.bin file. No such luck. Ditto using some of the public nav files that update other parts of fsx and p3d sims, but the RXP sim needs the Garmin Trainer with its proprietary file format. I own a plane w/a GNS530W but my home base airport RNAV TPs are newer than 2009 and so I couldn't  "fly" it to practice during the winter months. The only thing I've noticed that's missing is the glideslope "guidance" I get shooting a non-precision approach. That's a handy feature but I can live w/o it.

Anyway, I hope some people find this useful. I wish I could just share the updated file but I can't, so please don't ask me. There should be nothing in the above that's much of a secret. I wish Garmin would just publish a newer worldwide.bin but I'm sure they are busy selling GTNs and don't care. For the folks that have Jepp subs, this will get you current.

Caveat: The above assumes you have enough PC knowledge to find files and use disk imagers. I cannot be responsible if you shoot yourself in the virtual foot.

Cheers,

IFRGuy

Just an update for others looking to update their databases. I have the RXP 530 v2 software along with a RealSimGear GNS 530 unit.

Using IFRGuy's method, I have updated to the 2014 cycle using a one-time purchase of the Jeppesen Western U.S. database.  Cost me $129. 

Worked perfectly and shows the correct effective dates (Dec 31, 2020 - Jan 28th 2021).

Thanks a million for this info!

Would it be possible to rename the bin file to .iso or something, such that it is recognised for mounting by windows and the step to the USB driive is not required?

On 17.5.2020 at 2:23 PM, AleThePilot said:

Hello there, 

I wonder you could tell me how you did indeed purchase the update from Jeppesen.. I've tried many times but stumbled across the plane registration phase and can't get through it. And then, which navdata do I have to buy?

Many thanks,

Alessandro

You can probably just register an non existing plane with an invalid foreign registration, e.g. registration DXSIM with serial number 0123456789 and Garmin ID 0123456789.

Après avoir lu le forum, j’ai pris la mise à jour jeppesen donc
j’ai les airacs prochaine ainsi que les obstacles 100 $ la mise à jour Maintenant, je connais la procédure avec jdm

Merci à tous pour toutes ces infos

After reading the forum I took the jeppesen update so I have the next airacs as well as the obstacles $ 100 the update Now I know the procedure with jdm Thank you all for all this info

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Translated to English.
  • Like 1

@FlightNono, welcome to AvSim. We ask members to post in English. I have added a translation to your post.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@FlightNono, welcome to AvSim. We ask members to post in English. I have added a translation to your post.

Sorry , it's the instant translator, I wrote well in English 😳

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 11:39 AM, Nayajja said:

I have a subscription to Garmin's navigation database for a real-world GNS 530W. I would love to purchase the Reality XP sim GNS, and be able to us it with X-Plane 11, but even with the subscription, I do not see how to access the files needed to updata the database in the sim. To download the data, I have to plug in a converter box (that I had to buy from Garmin) and then the data is directly downloaded to a card that goes in the real world GNS. That card is proprietary.

Is there a way to read that card and access the file?

Has anyone been successful in using a Garmin (not Jeppesen) database subscription for the 430W? How do you get the files off of the proprietary card? Or does it save them somewhere on your HDD when programming the card?

11 minutes ago, K-D said:

How do you get the files off of the proprietary card? Or does it save them somewhere on your HDD when programming the card?

I believe you can't extract them from the card unless you do have a card reader on the PC and the driver to present it as a drive. However, the files are most likely saved to disk prior writing and usually you'd find these in a "temp" folder, in the "user" folder, or in the "programdata" folder somewhere. Otherwise, some G500 DB subscription (at least the Jeppesen one) are compatible with the GNS and in this case, it burns on a regular SD card in the FAT format.

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

7 minutes ago, RXP said:

I believe you can't extract them from the card unless you do have a card reader on the PC and the driver to present it as a drive. However, the files are most likely saved to disk prior writing and usually you'd find these in a "temp" folder, in the "user" folder, or in the "programdata" folder somewhere. Otherwise, some G500 DB subscription (at least the Jeppesen one) are compatible with the GNS and in this case, it burns on a regular SD card in the FAT format.

Thanks. I saw your previous comment saying the same, though I’m curious if someone has succeeded, either in reading the proprietary card somehow, or grabbing temp files like you suggest.

You mention the G500. Do GNS400/500W series database downloads from Jepp not work? I thought I read earlier of someone else (perhaps IFRpilot) making that work with RXP.

The GNS Jeppesen DB are supposed to work ok, but not just them. The G500 have been working too because they are the same format. (DB1, the older format prior the introduction of DB2 format 3 about years ago)

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Sorry seems there is no dedicated thread for GTN... I have a GTN650 and have a real GTN where I got the two files 

avtn_db.bin
nav_db2.bin

If I copy them into the database folder and start up the trainer, it correctly shows the current airac cycle. However I cannot use any waypoint, it does not find anything. Seems the "directory" is missing.
Any ideas?

I discovered that with a recent version of the navdata for the G600, the GNS trainer (and hence the RXP GNS) is missing some approaches. An example is the RNP RWY 24 at LSZG or the RNP RWY 10 at LSZR. The bin file is not corrupted and data from other procedures are fine. Could it be that the software version of the trainer (3.3) is not 100% compatible with the current format of the aviation database files, which prevents some approaches from being properly recognised?

Edited by Kakugo

@Kakugo

I've cross checked for example the Garmin DB Data Exclusion bulletin but I didn't find LSZG there:
https://avdb.garmin.com/docs/garmin_navigation_db_data_exclusions.html

But on the Jeppesen DB Data Exclusion you can find:
https://avdb.garmin.com/docs/garmin_data_exclusions.html

Approaches removed due to CDI scaling issues

The following issue affects G1000, Embraer Prodigy™, Cirrus Perspective™, G950 and G900X, G2/3/5000, GTN 6xx/7xx series product families and 4XXW/5XXW series product families:

CDI/HSI scaling on a limited number of LPV and LNAV/VNAV approaches is incorrect. Please see the corresponding Garmin Service Advisory (SA1344) for additional information: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviationalerts/service-advisory-1344-rev-a-lpv-and-lnavvnav-approach-full-scale-deflection/

For units affected by this issue the approaches in the table below have been removed:

Airport ID Approach ID Area
KTEX R09-M USA
LFKC R18-W EUR
LFKC R18-X EUR
LFKJ R02-Z EUR
LIDT R166Y EUR
LIDT R166Z EUR
LSZG R24 EUR

It seems it is indeed removed because of this Garmin CDI scaling issue and requires software 5.10 at a minimum.

Hopefully there are only a few approaches which are affected.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1