Sign in to follow this  
RXP

RXP GNS V2 and GTN database update

Thanks a lot for the information. I guess that this implies that this issue will never be solved (no GNS trainer with software 5.10 will ever exist).

I have been reading this forum concerning the RealityXP 530GNS database that the Garmin Trainer uses and that there are no updates from Garmin.

But I am seeing posts about being able to use a database from a real GNS530.

A friend of mine is part owner of a PA28R Piper Arrow II with a Garmin 530 that t I get to fly once in a while with him. 
If he / his partners are amenable to it, Is it possible that If I could get an older database from him it could be used with the Garmin GNS530 trainer that the Reality XP GNS uses?

Does anyone have evidence that the G500 Jeppesen database for worldwide coverage will work fine on the RXP GNS and GTN?

Like others, in the past I bought it for Europe only and it worked, but I'd like to choose the worldwide coverage next time.

Extremely useful, thanks! I have just a couple of questions:

• In the Jeppesen site I don't see any NavData set called Transatlantic, but they sell a set called Worldwide-Fee. Assuming that they wouldn't sell a database that has been discontinued as per Service Advisory 1846 Rev B, does it mean that Worldwide-Fee is the Transatlantic database? The fact that in your table the code for transatl is ww seems to go in that direction.
  • Do you plan to produce a similar table for the GTN?

@Kakugo

What used to be "worldwide" seems to be deprecated and shows as "Transatlantic" in the device, but I'd suggest you cross-check this prior purchasing anything. As for the GTN, there is no need because you can subscribe GTN database as-is.

NB: this "equivalence" table is meant only to substitute the original GNS db subscription which you can usually burn only on a proprietary cartridge, with another type of subscription which you can burn on an SD card, which makes it easier afterward. However the regular GNS database updates are supposed to be also working fine with the GNS trainer.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I bought the Full USA one-time subscription from Jeppesen. Downloaded the .zip, extracted the avtn_db.bin file and used it to replace the worldwide.bin (with appropriate renaming) on my laptop where I have the GNS430 trainer installed.  Launched the trainer, and indeed it is showing the Dec. 02-Dec. 20 navigation data.  

I then did the same on my x-plane simulator pc, where I have Reality-XP 430, as well as the RealSimGear 430 installed.  But when I launched x-plane, I was still seeing old data.  I looked back through these various threads again, and found instructions to also substitute the avtn_db.bin from Jeppensen for the 006-d0170-00.bin file in c:\ProgramData\Reality XP\Common\GnsTrainer\dbfiles (like before - rename the Jeppensen file appropriately to replace the Reality XP file).  I now have current approaches for local airports everywhere I need it!

I wish there was a way to extract the same data from the Garmin-specific nav data card - I already pay for a subscription for my physical plane with a 430, so it would be good to be able to use that subscription for the trainer and simulator.

• Like 2

Ignoring for a moment that buying a recent obstacles database is not particularly useful for IFR training, I was wondering if anybody had any experience with doing it from the Garmin web site (without owning any Garmin hardware)...

On 12/13/2018 at 11:05 PM, IFRguy said:

Yes I agree about trying different keywords. I really don't know whether the WAAS & non-WAAS Trainers use the same DB file, just that they are different to Jeppesen and even use different (larger) NavData cards. I will only say what I know works.

Another important keyword is "avtn_db.bin"

. I found a long description of all the files and cards used in the GTN but I doubt I will ever use it. I think the touch screen is hard to use in an airplane that is bouncing around, ForeFlight can drive me crazy.

I knew about the environment variables but I was too lazy to add them. Maybe I will if/when I update the file.

I've also read that there is some iPad app that has a newer file in the old format, maybe v6.1x, but I will stop for now. I found a solution that works for me and for others who have the Jepp sub and is easy to update.

One of the reasons I bought P3DV4 was hoping they had newer NavData, but no, it looks the same. They make a big deal about it being the Pro Sim and is not to be used for entertainment, etc. They could at least offer the NaviGraph option. 

Hello IFRGuy & Jean-Luc,

I appreciate I am replying to a very post. I read your posts here and as I have a Jepp subscription to GNS430W I managed to create an up-to-date "avtn_db.bin" file. Having made a backup copy of the original "worldwide.bin" file (from the Garmin Trainer that was downloaded from RXP), I then renamed my "avtn_db.bin" to "worldwide.bin" and replaced the Garmin Trainers' worldwide.bin file with mine. However, it made no difference and the databases in the RXP GNS430 are still showing July 2016 date and the contents are old as well as I examined the approach frequency and some of the procedures for my local airport and they are indeed old ones.

I would be grateful for any thoughts as to why this did not work. By the way, I searched through my files to see if there is a duplicate Garmin Trainer but couldn't find one.

On 3/1/2022 at 6:08 AM, Cirrus14 said:

However, it made no difference and the databases in the RXP GNS430 are still showing July 2016 date

Hi, please look at the recommend posts in this topic:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/605896-reality-xp-update-removed-airports-from-garmin-430530/

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hi Bert,

I know you posted this a looong time ago, but would it still be possible for you to send me these files too?

Lennard

In the end I have more confused ideas than before. Is it or is it not possible to update the database? again, the garmin trainer gives you the option to choose Garmin or Jeppesen as the database. How do I see which version my GTN750 is up to?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

On 8/28/2022 at 1:51 PM, riccardo74 said:

In the end I have more confused ideas than before. Is it or is it not possible to update the database? again, the garmin trainer gives you the option to choose Garmin or Jeppesen as the database. How do I see which version my GTN750 is up to?

It is.

I was able to update the database using Jeppesen files, however the charts can't be updated unless you have the files that were updated to update a real GTN unit using FlyGarmin software. 
You should look to the nav_*.bin files and place them in the C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases folder. 

Cheers,

Filipe

• Like 1

Is there a way to get Jeppersen to sell me the current G600 data - they seem to want both full aircraft information (which is doable) and the Garmin serial number which I can't do ?