Sign in to follow this  
RXP

RXP GNS V2 and GTN database update

For everyones benefit

I updated my GNS 530 V2 last night to the "2018 database"

It was quick and easy without renaming anything or playing around with files. Simply download and drop.

Read RXP's Pres posts and listen to what he is saying. You will find what your looking for (took 3 hours).

Jon

Edited by RXP
removing hints
  • Like 2

http://www.ruscool.co.nzBanner_MJC5.png05_10_2012_14_25_54_C-GLXV_New_Paint_Apr

P3D 4.5:), X-Plane 11.55:(, MSFS 2020:), MJC Q400, Saab 340A, CRJ550, B1900, X-Crafts ERJ/EMB; Win 10x64, 32GB Ram, Samsung drives, RTX 3070 GPU, 5.3 Ghz Intel 1200. Turboprops and RJ's only.

Hello everyone, I have read through this thread and though the manuals. I think I understand the basics but I'm stuck and I hope I can get answer here which isn't so cryptic.

I do want to try the work around people are using here to update the navigation data, but can someone please tell me where to modify, edit or enter the environment variables.  Which files contain this code and which folder I can find the file in.

Thanks

Edit.... OK I think I'm a little more clear of the process, one question remains, and please forgive my ignorance.  In the following statement from the user manual.....

Set the application database path, that is where to look for all the db files (terrain, obstacle, navigation etc..):

GNSNAVDATA="(PATH TO .......GARMIN\.......\DB"

Is it correct to assume on Windows10 that everything to the left of the "=" is the "variable" and everything to the right is the "value"?

Edited by jalbino59
Clarification

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

19 hours ago, jalbino59 said:

Is it correct to assume on Windows10 that everything to the left of the "=" is the "variable" and everything to the right is the "value"?

Hi, Yes this is correct! You can therefore configure these variables to broadly tell the GTN/GNS V2 where to look for the entire dabase file set, and/or you can selectively tell them where to look for specific database files (navdata, obstables).

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

4 hours ago, RXP said:

Hi, Yes this is correct! You can therefore configure these variables to broadly tell the GTN/GNS V2 where to look for the entire dabase file set, and/or you can selectively tell them where to look for specific database files (navdata, obstables).

Hello Jean-Luc, and thanks for the clarity...I'll start working on it, I'm sure I'll have a few more questions come up. 

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

So, I'm willing to consider a Garmin 530 data subscription, Is there information on how I might download that database to the Reality XP 530?  Would it still be "worldwide.bin" on the actual subscription?

So how can I update the database in January 2020? I mean that Garmin updated the GTN Trainer and looks like the new database is not compatible with the old GNS430 trainer.
I searched the internet looking for a old version of the Garmin Trainer but I was no lucky.

I don't need the very last version of the AIRAC, but 10 years ago is too much. Finally after spend 2 days looking for a solution I probably want to return the product.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jlbferreira said:

Finally after spend 2 days looking for a solution I probably want to return the product.

Have you at least started with the "Recommanded" posts you'll find at the top of the 1st page of this discussion?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

On 1/16/2020 at 11:51 PM, jlbferreira said:

So how can I update the database in January 2020? I mean that Garmin updated the GTN Trainer and looks like the new database is not compatible with the old GNS430 trainer.
I searched the internet looking for a old version of the Garmin Trainer but I was no lucky.

I don't need the very last version of the AIRAC, but 10 years ago is too much. Finally after spend 2 days looking for a solution I probably want to return the product.

If you look to the top of the page you will see that I have done to to 2018. READ my post.

• Like 1

P3D 4.5:), X-Plane 11.55:(, MSFS 2020:), MJC Q400, Saab 340A, CRJ550, B1900, X-Crafts ERJ/EMB; Win 10x64, 32GB Ram, Samsung drives, RTX 3070 GPU, 5.3 Ghz Intel 1200. Turboprops and RJ's only.

On 2/15/2020 at 4:47 PM, B1900 said:

If you look to the top of the page you will see that I have done to to 2018. READ my post.

I am now updated to 2020 (Navigation).

If you want something bad enough, you can find it.

• Like 1

I have a subscription to Garmin's navigation database for a real-world GNS 530W. I would love to purchase the Reality XP sim GNS, and be able to us it with X-Plane 11, but even with the subscription, I do not see how to access the files needed to updata the database in the sim. To download the data, I have to plug in a converter box (that I had to buy from Garmin) and then the data is directly downloaded to a card that goes in the real world GNS. That card is proprietary.

Is there a way to read that card and access the file?

1 hour ago, Nayajja said:

To download the data, I have to plug in a converter box (that I had to buy from Garmin) and then the data is directly downloaded to a card that goes in the real world GNS.

HI, I believe you can first download, then burn the card. In any case it is most likely first saved to the hard drive in a 'temp' folder. Unless this is only when using the Jeppesen JSUM system instead of the Garmin system?

Hi to everyone,

Just a question.

The reality xp  gns 430 for prepar3d reads the new format db nav_db2.bin ?

On 3/24/2020 at 5:34 PM, germano said:

Hi to everyone,

Just a question.

The reality xp  gns 430 for prepar3d reads the new format db nav_db2.bin ?

No, it would seem not, which leads me to my next question...

On 2/17/2020 at 7:35 AM, B1900 said:

I am now updated to 2020 (Navigation).

If you want something bad enough, you can find it.

Any hints?  Was that both the bmap.bin/basemap.bin and worldwide.bin?

Hints will get me banned from the Forum

Jon

On 5/27/2019 at 7:52 AM, RXP said:

How selectively?  The manual lists ADB, ODB, or db folder...

Can I select a path/name for just the worldwide.bin file?

Bert