Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
RXP

RXP GNS 530W/430W V2 database update

Recommended Posts

@Bert Pieke Hi,

ADB ‘is’ the nav data (Aviation DB) and ODB ‘is’ the obstacle data (Obstable DB).

1) Imagine you have all your db files located here:

C:\GNS_DB\

Use:
GNSNAVDATA= "C:\GNS_DB\"

This tells the GNS V2 where to find all the DB files (BMAP.bin, terrain.adb, terrain.odb, terrain.tdb, worldwide.bin)

 

2) You want to test new obstacle data file (helicopter for example) and you save it here:

C:\GNS_TERRAIN_DB\terrain.odb

Use:
GNSODBFILE= "C:\GNS_TERRAIN_DB\terrain.odb"

This tells the GNS V2 where to find this file independently of the others.

It will load the 'odb' file from here and all the others from GNSNAVDATA path or the default.

 

3) You have a new aviation DB file (new cycle) and you copy it here:

C:\GNS_NAVDATA\worldwide_new.bin

Use:
GNSADBFILE= "C:\GNS_NAVDATA\worldwide_new.bin"

This tells the GNS V2 where to find this file independently of the others.

It will load the 'adb' file from here and all the others from GNSNAVDATA path or the default.

 

This scheme permits you sharing the ’terrain db’ which seldom changes, and ‘override’ the ADB and ODB independently.

NB: this works the same with the RXP GTN using GTNODBFILE and GTNADBFILE.

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RXP said:

@Bert Pieke Hi,

1) Imagine you have all your db files located here:

C:\GNS_DB\

Use:
GNSNAVDATA= "C:\GNS_DB\"

This tells the GNS V2 where to find all the DB files (BMAP.bin, terrain.adb, terrain.odb, terrain.tdb, worldwide.bin)

 

2) You want to test new obstacle data file (helicopter for example) and you save it here:

C:\GNS_TERRAIN_DB\terrain.odb

Use:
GNSODBFILE= "C:\GNS_TERRAIN_DB\terrain.odb"

This tells the GNS V2 where to find this file independently of the others.

It will load the 'odb' file from here and all the others from GNSNAVDATA path or the default.

 

3) You have a new aviation DB file (new cycle) and you copy it here:

C:\GNS_NAVDATA\worldwide_new.bin

Use:
GNSADBFILE= "C:\GNS_NAVDATA\worldwide_new.bin"

This tells the GNS V2 where to find this file independently of the others.

It will load the 'adb' file from here and all the others from GNSNAVDATA path or the default.

OK, I will try this!

I hope that you understand that there is also a Terrain.adb file in this folder... and it is mightily confusing that the ODB variable is for Terrain ODB and the ADB variable not for Terrain ADB..  :unsure:

 

  • Like 1

Bert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I hope that you understand that there is also a Terrain.adb file in this folder.

I've edited my post by the time you've answered with:

ADB ‘is’ the nav data (Aviation DB) and ODB ‘is’ the obstacle data (Obstable DB).

Please note these are more recent variable names used to unify the RXP GTN and GNS V2 naming conventions but the older name is still working: GNSDBFILE

 

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RXP said:

 

ADB ‘is’ the nav data (Aviation DB)

 

Works as advertised :cool:

With Garmin's latest packaging, the WW navdata does not include Australia, and the INT navdata does not include Americas, so I am stuck with having to switch databases if I am flying "Down Under".  I was renaming the actual worldwide.bin file, but now I can adjust the GNSADBFILE variable instead... clever.. :happy:


Bert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

but now I can adjust the GNSADBFILE variable instead

Remember environment variables are set prior launching a program, therefore in this case, the program is not the trainer in the background but the simulator. If you change the var, you'll have to relaunch the simulator for it to take effect.

  • Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2020 at 4:29 PM, Bert Pieke said:

With Garmin's latest packaging, the WW navdata does not include Australia, and the INT navdata does not include Americas, so I am stuck with having to switch databases if I am flying "Down Under".  I was renaming the actual worldwide.bin file, but now I can adjust the GNSADBFILE variable instead... clever.. :happy:

Wondering what the optimal device selection is for purchasing occasional navigation data updates through fly.garmin.com?

It seems G500 navigation data might be compatible with the RXP-bundled GNS430W/530W trainer, but I also remember seeing something about the GTN6XX series being the better choice?  (the latest GTN 6XX trainers inlcude the newer, incompatible format, though?)

The most obvious choice - the GNS 430W - uses a non-standard Compact Flash card and USB writer to transfer the updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AustinLonghorn said:

It seems G500 navigation data might be compatible with the RXP-bundled GNS430W/530W trainer,

Hi, the Jeppesen G500 DB has been working fine so far*.

I don't know for the Garmin DB itself. AFAIK the Jeppesen process permits separate D/L from card burning, otherwise, the G500 is using standard SD cards and this makes it easier to extract afterward. You might want to start reading the recommended posts in this discussion though especially the search tips.


Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RXP said:

Hi, the Jeppesen G500 DB has been working fine so far*.

I don't know for the Garmin DB itself. AFAIK the Jeppesen process permits separate D/L from card burning, otherwise, the G500 is using standard SD cards and this makes it easier to extract afterward. You might want to start reading the recommended posts in this discussion though especially the search tips.

Thanks, that's good to know.  The SD card issue was the main reason to choose the G500 or the GTN, but if Jepp packages them separately anyway ...

Do you have any familiarity with the GNX 375 at all?  (probably the newer format?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 10:10 AM, cc_aero said:

Finally i got an simply-ZIP File via JDM which contains an "avtn_db.bin" AND an "nav_db2.bin".
So i have got an actual and working navdb for the GNS and GTN

So, if I understand correctly: 1) you purchased a ZIP file from Jeppesen for about 52 euros. 2) You renamed the avtn_db.bin to worldwide.bin  3) you replaced the original worldwide.bin file with this new renamed worldwide.bin file 4) you are using the new worldwide.bin file with your XP Reality GNS 430 and it works fine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2020 at 2:26 AM, lweinlan said:

So, if I understand correctly: 1) you purchased a ZIP file from Jeppesen for about 52 euros. 2) You renamed the avtn_db.bin to worldwide.bin  3) you replaced the original worldwide.bin file with this new renamed worldwide.bin file 4) you are using the new worldwide.bin file with your XP Reality GNS 430 and it works fine?

Yes, this mainly is correct. BUT i have bought only the europeen navdata, not the navdata for the hole world. I don't know if the worldwide-data will also work, because at the worldwide-data there was an specific "GDU-version" required - i don't know whats this means. And of course, the worldwide-data is mor expensive (about € 90).

And the really fine sideeffect was, that there was also the newer navdata-format included, which work wich the GTN.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 7:10 PM, cc_aero said:

Hi all,

i have successfully bought an navdata-db at Jeppsen for an G600 without having an real GNS/GTN nor an aircraft.
I bought the update only for central europe (because its the area i fly most) and paid about € 52.

Finally i got an simply-ZIP File via JDM which contains an "avtn_db.bin" AND an "nav_db2.bin".
So i have got an actual and working navdb for the GNS and GTN 🙂 🙂

Greetings

Sascha

@cc_aeroSascha,

Thanks a lot for sharing this info.

I did the same and am enjoying the latest nav data on my GTN.

Thanks !

Marc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 7:10 PM, cc_aero said:

Hi all,

i have successfully bought an navdata-db at Jeppsen for an G600 without having an real GNS/GTN nor an aircraft.
I bought the update only for central europe (because its the area i fly most) and paid about € 52.

Finally i got an simply-ZIP File via JDM which contains an "avtn_db.bin" AND an "nav_db2.bin".
So i have got an actual and working navdb for the GNS and GTN 🙂 🙂

Greetings

Sascha

Hello there, 

I wonder you could tell me how you did indeed purchase the update from Jeppesen.. I've tried many times but stumbled across the plane registration phase and can't get through it. And then, which navdata do I have to buy?

Many thanks,

Alessandro

Edited by AleThePilot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 6:36 PM, IFRguy said:

  I recently purchased the RXP 530W sim and was hoping for a newer database- no such luck. I have a Jeppesen sub but didn't know how to get that info into the Garmin GNS Trainer and thence into the RXP sim. But, I figured it out!

  Herewith a method for updating the database, PROVIDED you can get a copy of the Jeppesen NavData update file. It's possible you need the Waas version; that's all I have.

  1. Using Jepp's JDM, choose to download the file, i.e. don't do a "Transfer to Device". It will place a file into e.g. c:\ProgramData\Jeppesen\jdm\.jsum\download\dXXXX.bin. The cycle # (current=1813) will be in the name.

    Some people think this file is mysterious: it's not. It's a disk image in the old DOS FAT16 format. All you need is a program to transfer the .bin file to a USB drive and you can read its contents directly, at least on a Windows PC. I used Win32DiskImager, which you can find on SourceForge.
     
  2. Now get a USB drive with contents you don't care about (it will be erased).
     
  3. Run Win32DiskImager, then browse to find the file listed in 1). Make sure the output drive is the USB you plan to erase. Press the "Write". button.
     
  4. Look at the contents of the drive you just imaged. It has a file named avtn_db.bin. That's your new "worldwide.bin" file.
     
  5. Rename your old worldwide.bin file(s). It's in the Garmin Trainer folder(s). You may have more than one Trainer install: I did.
     
  6. Copy avtn_db.bin to wherever you find a Trainer install w/a worldwide.bin file and change the name to worldwide.bin.
     
  7. You're done!
     

  I had hoped I could get a Navigraph sub and convert it to a new worldwide.bin file. No such luck. Ditto using some of the public nav files that update other parts of fsx and p3d sims, but the RXP sim needs the Garmin Trainer with its proprietary file format. I own a plane w/a GNS530W but my home base airport RNAV TPs are newer than 2009 and so I couldn't  "fly" it to practice during the winter months. The only thing I've noticed that's missing is the glideslope "guidance" I get shooting a non-precision approach. That's a handy feature but I can live w/o it.

  Anyway, I hope some people find this useful. I wish I could just share the updated file but I can't, so please don't ask me. There should be nothing in the above that's much of a secret. I wish Garmin would just publish a newer worldwide.bin but I'm sure they are busy selling GTNs and don't care. For the folks that have Jepp subs, this will get you current.

  Caveat: The above assumes you have enough PC knowledge to find files and use disk imagers. I cannot be responsible if you shoot yourself in the virtual foot.

Cheers,

IFRGuy

Thanks so much IFRGuy for the detailed steps.  This worked exactly as outlined!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

I too have followed the above method as I have a real world subscription to the Jeppesen database. However I am only downloading Western Europe so whilst I can update the old stand alone GNS430W trainer, I can't update the XP Reality one. I am definitely using the right folder/file combination as if I swap X-Plane shows 'no database' when the replacement is in. Reversing the procedure brings back the database.

Is the above method dependent on replacing a worldwide data base like for like? Or can I do something to use my European one. File sizes are about 12mb vs 8mb. 

Thanks for any help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    48%
    $12,200.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...