Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Some scans U made of American Airlines DC-10 flights

On my way to and from Europe in 1987, scans I made of 35mm pics taken with a Canon Sure Shot.  Among the pics you can see DFW on our way back from Frankfurt, the beautiful US Southwest desert, the Sierras, Frankfurt Airport, and images over Scotland in the winter time.

John

2l57jwv.jpg
dNQNKpT.jpg
rK57KB6.jpg
etFqaCg.jpg
pIgACLh.jpg
JDyYLDI.jpg
Mk1w7OV.jpg
TBHc03q.jpg
mKXTnyO.jpg
kNaGTY2.jpg
bOLKjQd.jpg
CJh7Id6.jpg

• Like 7

Great airplane to ride on. It's cool to see the overhead shot of DFW. All of the area around the airport now has been developed. Terminal D had not been built yet. I live just to the west of the approach end of 13R. I worked there from 2003 until 2016 when I retired.

• Like 1

NAX669.png

7 minutes ago, mwilk said:

Great airplane to ride on. It's cool to see the overhead shot of DFW. All of the area around the airport now has been developed. Terminal D had not been built yet. I live just to the west of the approach end of 13R. I worked there from 2003 until 2016 when I retired.

It's been more than a decade since I last flew in and out of DFW from Phoenix.  I love the layout of the airport and terminal to terminal transportation but for layovers one has to be so careful, because of flight delays I recommend at least a planned two to three hour layover.  I have had to run thru DFW to catch a flight once, landing next to my seatmate going home to SFO out of breath and near exhaustion, and hungry from the expenditure of energy past all those great smelling pizza places....  Hmm Hmm.... 

Dallas is a good place for plane spotting, so is Phoenix Sky Harbor if you are in term 3 or 4, you just go to the top of the parking garages and you have a great view of the airport activity.  Baltimore has a good observation lounge, SFO used to have a great observation deck but now the top of their parking garage is about it, and the view of the runways are blocked. 

I stayed overnight at the DFW hotel but was outraged to see that they charged businessmen in their restaurant for business conversation, even though I was alone and not on business I traveled a lot for business and often had pre planning discussions with my traveling colleagues on layovers in airport restaurants.  Otherwise it was a nice hotel, a great place to rest, I was going up there to evaluate an Ercoupe housed north of Dallas.  Sadly it did not have a strong enough engine to climb well with a passenger aboard, otherwise it was a good aircraft, strange turning it with the yoke. 

The stupid rental car agent back at Dallas claimed I had hail damage, they tried the hail damage scam, when I pointed out that I could not have possibly driven in bad weather on that fairly clear day.  Alas, that was my last memory of DFW, although even in my hometown Phoenix car rental agents have tried to use the "windshield star" scam on me.  I remember returning a car rental on a flight out to Phoenix from SFO and getting a call from a "Collections Agent" two months later demanding $500 because I did not fall for their collision damage waiver.  I told them it was an illegal collections call and never heard from the thugs again.  Unbeknownst to them I studied law in college, including contract law, before switching my major to Social Science.  I reminded them of that before hanging up.  In Phoenix I helped some seniors from an auto dealer scam, the "wrong vin on the contract" scam, by simply calling "Channel 12 for Action" on their behalf at my Mom's request.  Those of us who have been surrounded by aviation all are lives know scams, and how to live outside of them and live safely.

John

50 minutes ago, signmanbob said:

Awesome pictures!! ...and there sits PanAm...so sad.

I got to fly Pan Am, just once, three years after I took these pictures in an Airbus Widebody, on my way from Caracas to JFK, so also a continent to continent hop.  I flew Venezuela's now defunct but high quality service airline Avensa on the way down from JFK to Caracas, which also flew out of Pan Am's terminal, then they flew me and my colleague, still a good friend today, onto Margarita Island off the coast of Venezuela which was my departure point for a weekend visit to Angel Falls on an Avensa puddle jumper, a Cessna 401.  My client in Venezuela was entitled to at least eight hours' work from me and  my colleague, but after five hours or so he would say "You're on my island, you're to have a good time" and he would take us exploring several days like that.  He was my client's IT manager, and I found out he was cooking the books, when I caught him at it I just told him what not to do, not to get caught, and that it was none of my business, to which he replied "I like you Americans, you are different".  Now nearly thirty years later we remain good friends, he gave me the confidence I needed to succeed as I was and to continue as a traveling business systems instructor for another ten years.

John

Great photos John miss the old birds love the aa dc-10 and that pan am.

• Like 1

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

1 hour ago, Silverbird said:

Great photos John miss the old birds love the aa dc-10 and that pan am.

I loved the DC-10 and L1011, and the widebody 767 that followed because of its window/aisle seating in coach.  On my transatlantic and transpacific hops I have flown the 747-200, DC-10, 767, 747-400 and DC8-63.  The DC8-63 was the first aircraft I crossed the Atlantic in, and it took off at a very steep rate of climb, and could reverse two of its engines to slow down in flight.  It crossed the Atlantic at only 29,000 feet, lower than my 747-400 flight last year which hit 39,000 feet on the return home.  767 flights even went higher, over 40K feet, such as on my first 767 flight from SFO to Dulles in 1987, about six months before I went on the Europe flight shown in these pics.

John