Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

Texture_Size_Exp=10 with PR - what does it do exactly?

I am very impressed and happy with the sharpness of PR (photoreal) scenery in P3D 4.4.

It has been said that putting

[TERRAIN]
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

in the P3D.cfg makes it even sharper.

I have tested that at different locations (compared to TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 and always with "high resolution terrain textures" ticked in the UI) and I cannot see any difference between the two settings (except for longer loading times).

So I wonder what this setting is expected to do exactly.

Does it need an extremely high resolution photoscenery to make a difference? Most of my photoreal scenery is said to be in 1m - resolution. Is a higher resolution needed for TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 to make a difference at all?

Does TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 make it sharper only in the distance or should it also be sharper right below my aircraft?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

It changes the texture resolution to 1024 I believe. That being said, it should make the textures sharper below you as well as in the distance. 

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

There has been a nice comparison between the different settings

https://fsnexus.com/p3d-v4-texture_size_exp-tweak-comparison-screenshots/

The result is essentially the same as yours: There may be subtle differences, but nothing really justifying the exorbitant loading times for TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 even using an SSD.

Most of the time I just use the high-resolution checkbox, although my 1018Ti could handle TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10.

I read several explanations what the setting exactly does, I re-read them, re-read them once more... None of them was accessible to my simple brain.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I tried "=10" and saw no substantive difference in general use - that's not saying you couldn't go somewhere and find something that was sharper on close examination, it simply means that in normal flying it looked the same to me as just using the high-res checkbox in the GUI.  I also found that the claim that you need more than 8GB of video RAM is absolutely true.  With my 1080's 8 GB, my otherwise smooth running system became a stutter fest as I was obviously bumping up against my VRAM limits.  And then there are those load times...

After one curiosity driven trial flight, I deleted the line from my .cfg. I am perfectly happy with the the default "hi-res" settings in 4.4.

Scott

Terrain textures look much sharper much farther out using 10 as a setting. 

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I did some comparison shots with v4 between exp 9 and 10 and it's a waste of time, very marginal improvement in distance for much longer loading times. Moving from v4.3 to 4.4 made much more improvement.

2 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 and always with "high resolution terrain textures" ticked in the UI)

The above are one and the same.  Ticking the box is the same as adding that cfg entry.

• Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

So apparently no significant improvement in the visual appearance with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10.

I'll keep it off.

Edited by RALF9636

2 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

So apparently no significant improvement in the visual appearance with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10.

I'll keep it off.

Whoa... where did that come from?  There is a lengthy description of what it means from Rob Ainscough several months ago here.  Bottom line is that there is an increase in texture detail (sharpness, distance, etc) and I see the improvement.  The downside is as mentioned the increased loading times, but when I'm going to do a flight of several hours or more the extra minute or two loading is time spent working in PFPX.  If I want quick loading times for testing stuff then I just remark-out the line in the configuration file for my testing.

Only attempt this tweak if you have 9GB or more of VRAM.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, downscc said:

There is a lengthy description of what it means from Rob Ainscough several months ago here.  Bottom line is that there is an increase in texture detail (sharpness, distance, etc) and I see the improvement.  The downside is as mentioned the increased loading times, but when I'm going to do a flight of several hours or more the extra minute or two loading is time spent working in PFPX.  If I want quick loading times for testing stuff then I just remark-out the line in the configuration file for my testing.

Only attempt this tweak if you have 9GB or more of VRAM.

Yes, I've read all that, and I have a 1080TI.

But I did not see it in my sim. That's why I was asking. And most of those that replied also reported that they see no significant difference.

So I'd appreciate if you would elaborate a little more on what improvement exactly do you see between TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 and =10 according to my questions regarding photoreal scenery.

Edited by RALF9636

As you have already tried the two settings and seen no difference do you not already have your answer?

Is there any point in inviting assertions of something that you have already decided is not the case?

Edited by nolonger