Sign in to follow this  
lownslo

Shoutout for HiFi Simulations

Late in the summer of 2017 and after moving from FSX to P3Dv4 I bought the AS upgrade from FSPilotShop, and added Active Sky Cloud Art (ASCA).  I enjoyed both in P3Dv4 (have been enjoying HiFi weather add-ons since at least FS9), and last week after installing P3Dv4.4 on my new computer build I tried downloading my purchases from FSPilotShop... all I got was a reactivation link for a charge of $4.95.  When I bought the products there were 20 downloads, and I had used 1 for each product.  I sent two Help Tickets to FSPilotShop over a week period but nothing but silence from them.  A short while ago I contacted Hifi Simulations for assistance and Dave sent me links to ASCA downloads within 20 minutes! 

Thanks HiFi Simulations for the great support!!

Greg

P.S. FSPilotShop marketing addy has now been added to my spam folder. 😀 No more money from this simmer!

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

I agree that FSPilotShop the last remaining shops that charge again for your product.

Bandwidth is a lot cheaper than it used to be. Not good to be charging again. I have many products from them that I don't use and refuse to pay the 4.95 for 

• Upvote 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

30 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

I agree that FSPilotShop the last remaining shops that charge again for your product.

Bandwidth is a lot cheaper than it used to be. Not good to be charging again. I have many products from them that I don't use and refuse to pay the 4.95 for 

Thanks for that heads-up. Yet another seller like simMarket's non-existent Support, to make note of to give a wide berth!

• Upvote 1

I stopped buying from them back in 2011, good riddance. 

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

5 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

Bandwidth is a lot cheaper than it used to be. Not good to be charging again. I have many products from them that I don't use and refuse to pay the 4.95 for.

When did they start charging the $4.95 "download fee?  I've not bought much from them over the years but made the ASP4/ASCA purchase about 15 months ago, and I have a purchase record screen shot showing 20 additional downloads.  Not only is it illegal (under U.S. law, and additionally in most states... not sure about other parts of the world) to change the terms of the contract, but them offering XX number of downloads at time of purchase and then trying to collect $4.95 for a download is a classic bait and switch.

Oh well, it's their foot they shot... folks should think twice before spending their money at FSPilotShop.  Thanks again to HiFi Simulations for stepping up!

Greg

Fspilotshop? All I see is a $4.95 charge to order a CD backup unless I'm missing something, I just downloaded a copy and din't ask for any payments. I have 19 downloads remaining.

23 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Fspilotshop? All I see is a $4.95 charge to order a CD backup unless I'm missing something, I just downloaded a copy and din't ask for any payments. I have 19 downloads remaining.

That's curious... I just logged in to check, and my account shows no downloads remaining with a red "Click to Reactivate" link that leads to a page showing they want $4.95 to do the reactivation!  It's the same for all my purchases there... they want $4.95 to reactivate.  Whatever... they won't be getting anymore money from me!

Greg

• Like 1

Must be something having to do specifically with your account because I don't see it? There is a dowload limit but it's 20. Besides, since buying AS for FS way back when, I have always downloaded the installer from HiFi's website.(full Install). I don't know and I don't doubt you. Wierd.. Thanks though, it reminded me save a copy of the download on my Backup ext. hdd.

Edited by Adrian123
  • Upvote 1

Yep, I downloaded ASP4 from HiFi's website last week, but the original ASCA installer I couldn't get from their download page... hence my hope for help from FSPilotShop.  Didn't happen though.  Curious how I haven't had much activity there over the years, yet all my downloads are gone for the products I bought?   I almost always store my downloads here, but I didn't store the original ASCA installer because of its size.  I have it archived now!!  You're right... it is wierd!

Greg

You have to pay Chris bell to download your products after a certain time and that's after paying him for support. 

I've been looking at reporting him to trading standards for it. 

14ppkc-6.png

2 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

Must be something having to do specifically with your account because I don't see it? There is a dowload limit but it's 20. Besides, since buying AS for FS way back when, I have always downloaded the installer from HiFi's website.(full Install). I don't know and I don't doubt you. Wierd.. Thanks though, it reminded me save a copy of the download on my Backup ext. hdd.

IIRC you get 20 downloads for the first 12 months. After a year you have to pay the reactivation fee. This is why I stopped buying from them several years ago. 

They will restart your download counter if a product receives a substantial update though. This happened for all of the early Carenado stuff that I purchased from them as they were updated to P3D v4. I made sure that I backed up all of my files though.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jbrett2634 said:

IIRC you get 20 downloads for the first 12 months. After a year you have to pay the reactivation fee.

Ahhh, that would explain it then!!  My last purchase (ASP4/ASCA) with them was 15 months ago.  Now that's a cute twist... 12 months of free downloads, then bring more money!

Greg

The reason why they got flightsim.com is because that holds value back in the 90s when everyone was grabbing registrations to make lots of money and they have been milking it ever since. Nothing wrong with making a buck but I would rather do business with the ones in this community that are in it because they share the same passion as I do, my supporting them allows them to continue to make scenery or aircraft or whatever contributions they are doing.

This site doesn't do this for me therefore I haven't been supporting them for these reasons. My advice is put your money towards those that would benefit the most from your support so that they can continue to make this hobby great.

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

On 12/14/2018 at 9:30 AM, jbrett2634 said:

IIRC you get 20 downloads for the first 12 months.

Nine days after submitting the first help ticket, FSPilotShop replied that they had reset all my downloads for 12 months.  I'm appreciative but what's done is done (and HiFi did all the doing! :biggrin: ).  Again, thanks go out to HiFi Simulations for their quick solution. 🥂

Greg