Sign in to follow this  
PeteB101

How to add freeware airports into p3d?

I am a student pilot who flies out of Essendon YMEN into Bacchus Marsh YBSS. I bought the orbx YMEN and downloaded a freeware of YBSS. I cannot figure out how to add the airport into p3d. There are no 'texture' and 'scenery' folders, only many .BGL files. What to do?

Can't you just make a folder in AddOn scenery, call it YBBS and within that folder make another folder called scenery, then place all the bgl in there and add it as any other scenery? It usually works for me, when I only have bgl files.

Edited by jlund

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

15 hours ago, jlund said:

Can't you just make a folder in AddOn scenery, call it YBBS and within that folder make another folder called scenery, then place all the bgl in there and add it as any other scenery?

Yup!

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

Still need to add the AddOn scenery folder in P3D add scenery menu, then you're good to go.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I've found the best way, is to store scenery files in a folder outside of the Prepar3dv4x root directory, on a separate drive, I then use the Lorby Addon manager to create the .xml method(and LM preferred), the benefits of doing this are that scenery files do not take up space on a limited SSD drive and if you need to do a complete P3D install again, the scenery can be added by merely running Lorby and point to the previous scenery libraries already created. It would be nice if all scenery developers used the .xml method, I recently had to do a complete P3D reinstall after a hard drive failure and took days to add my ORBX scenery, as opposed to minutes for all my other scenery installed using .xml

steve southey

On 12/14/2018 at 8:00 PM, JJJackson said:

Use Scenery Config Editor, esay to use and reliable. Yes it works with P3D v4.4, no it´s not BETA.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

Jack

the Swede in Spain

I've downloaded, now how do I use it? The airport in question has several files. I will paste a link to the download so you can see. https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=196566&CatID=fsxscen

word not allowed, I think I have been doing it wrong.

ive been exporting to scenery.cfg on some of the airports I have.

is there a video tutorial on how to set up addon.xml via lorby for idiots like myself lol.

thanks

mike

Edited by mikeymike

2 hours ago, PeteB101 said:

Not sure how to do this with MY specific scenery folder. Would you please have a look at trying to do it yourself with the software. The file is very small. Here it is: https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=196566&CatID=fsxscen

There is a set of instructions in the zip...

INSTALLATION
1. Reading this means you have Unzipped the download.

2. Add the AU Bacchus Marsh folder from this download into the FSX Add-Ons scenery folder.

3. You can run either FSX <default version> or <Orbx version> for the Orbx AU landscape.
Choose the relevant folder and rename it-   scenery  

4. Copy all the bmp files from BMP Images folder into FSX /Textures folder.

5. Start FSX and go to FSX Scenery Library. Add in <AU Bacchus Marsh> area. Ensure it is active / ticked.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

On 12/17/2018 at 7:01 PM, Bert Pieke said:

There is a set of instructions in the zip...

INSTALLATION
1. Reading this means you have Unzipped the download.

2. Add the AU Bacchus Marsh folder from this download into the FSX Add-Ons scenery folder.

3. You can run either FSX <default version> or <Orbx version> for the Orbx AU landscape.
Choose the relevant folder and rename it-   scenery  

4. Copy all the bmp files from BMP Images folder into FSX /Textures folder.

5. Start FSX and go to FSX Scenery Library. Add in <AU Bacchus Marsh> area. Ensure it is active / ticked.

Unfortunately I am not using fsx so should I make an addon scenery folder?

There should be one...

\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Addon Scenery

If not, sure create one..

Bert