Anyone know anything about good old fashioned hard drives?

Why for example, might the Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200rpm with 64mb cache be half the price of the Western Digital Black of the same spec?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-toshiba-p300-7200rpm-35-sata-iii-60-gb-s-64mb-cache-417ms-oem

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-wd2003fzex-black-performance-35-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-7200rpm-64mb-cache

Its actually a WD Black that's just let me down after about 6 years.

Hi Phil,

Yeah - if the spec is the same - probably not much you'll notice - that said - WD has built up quite a trust relationship with its customers... I've had issues with Seagate in the past but it was quite a while ago... Today - Samsung are the only SSD's I'll buy - WD are the only conventional hard drives I'll buy... LOL - I guess we are creatures of habit...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

The more expensive hard drive has Semtex in it though. If you accept the mission it will self destruct in 30 seconds. 

35 minutes ago, martin-w said:

The more expensive hard drive has Semtex in it though. If you accept the mission it will self destruct in 30 seconds. 

Semtex I can deal with Martin. Its what I use to do in my day job lol.

2 hours ago, Dougal said:

Anyone know anything about good old fashioned hard drives?

Why for example, might the Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200rpm with 64mb cache be half the price of the Western Digital Black of the same spec?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-toshiba-p300-7200rpm-35-sata-iii-60-gb-s-64mb-cache-417ms-oem

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-wd2003fzex-black-performance-35-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-7200rpm-64mb-cache

Its actually a WD Black that's just let me down after about 6 years.

There was a very good article on a hardware site----could have been Tom's Hardware, not 100%----that recommended the Toshibas as better value than the WDs, and I bought a Toshiba 2Tb SATA HDD and not only saved myself a 'few bob', but it runs perfectly. In fact, two WDs have screwed me up!

"Semtex I can deal with Martin. Its what I use to do in my day job lol"

I recall.

You eat semtex for breakfast. Marinated in nitro glycerine. 

Edited by martin-w

4 minutes ago, martin-w said:

All very legitimate and not American Scott. 🙂

Hi Martin,

I'm sure it is - I was merely poking fun at the absurdity of the world in which we now live...

Regards,
Scott

41 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

And now the FBI is visiting AvSim...

:tongue:

Regards,
Scott 

lol it never even crossed my mind when i posted Scott.  Guess it should've;-)

58 minutes ago, vc10man said:

There was a very good article on a hardware site----could have been Tom's Hardware, not 100%----that recommended the Toshibas as better value than the WDs, and I bought a Toshiba 2Tb SATA HDD and not only saved myself a 'few bob', but it runs perfectly. In fact, two WDs have screwed me up!

Thanks Rick

14 minutes ago, Dougal said:

lol it never even crossed my mind when i posted Scott.  Guess it should've;-)

Hi Phil,

I worked as a Defense Contractor for the Navy for a bunch of years - we used to perform "break lock" training with aircraft - we'd work with the Marines and they would bring Stinger missile launchers (without the missiles) to the range to work with us and the aircraft for break missile lock training (MANPADS) - during a lull in the activity one day - they handed the Stinger to me - in civilian clothes - to pose for some pictures... Sent the film (pre digital camera) to the nearest photo hut - didn't think anything of it - pictures came out GREAT - some civilian holding a Stinger - no big deal... What would happen if I did similar today ? LOL - different times - I've been very sure not to digitize them to insure they never made there way onto my computers or the net - don't need suits showing up on my doorstep...

:wink:

Regards,
Scott 

Edited by scottb613