Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Hyperthreading for P3D. Yes or no?

4 Core CPU HT ON

6 core CPU HT ON/OFF (experiment) ... if you can get a significant increase in CPU frequency with HT OFF then go that route

8+ core CPU HT OFF

That's been my experience so far with P3D and XP11 and AF2.

HT/SMT has been around for a long time, the effectiveness of HT can be very application specific and how much is being threaded relative to available resources ... a long read from NASA Ames research paper here: https://www.nas.nasa.gov/assets/pdf/papers/saini_s_impact_hyper_threading_2011.pdf  there conclusion was HT good for 3 apps, bad for 1 app and needed more investigation on power and thermal efficiency.

Cheers, Rob.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Although I agree with the theory that HT either on or off makes very little difference in P3d4. It's a matter of personal preference, since everyone's hardware and software is different.

QFT!  It's not just about P3D... which ran fine on all LP's with HT ON or all 6 cores with HT OFF during the first week after I installed 4.4.  Then, HT ON of OFF made no difference... the sim ran just great!  But adding all the stuff we all want to run along with the sim can change how all that works, and then it's incumbent upon us to manage the resources we have to create the best experience for ourselves.  It's not about old technology vs. new, or HT On for X number of cores and OFF for Y number of cores.  Just make the system work it's best for you... and allow others to do the same for themselves.

Greg

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ieydis said:

I agree with Joe on PL.  For me, much worse performance - stutters all over the place.  With my 8700K, HT Off and plays nice at 5Ghz.

Are you running 4K resolution?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I needed an AM for 4.3 due blurries but 4.4 I don’t get the blurs anymore so don’t use the AM.

However now after starting P3Dv4.4 I notice core 0 always runs at 100% and produces a slight stutter. I can fix this by deselecting core 0 then re-selecting it again. Everything then runs like silk on my 6700k. 

4.4 seems quite different.

1 hour ago, Iceman2 said:

I needed an AM for 4.3 due blurries but 4.4 I don’t get the blurs anymore so don’t use the AM.

However now after starting P3Dv4.4 I notice core 0 always runs at 100% and produces a slight stutter. I can fix this by deselecting core 0 then re-selecting it again. Everything then runs like silk on my 6700k. 

4.4 seems quite different.

Is core selection done through the task manager, PL or...

Cheers,

Mark

I dropped using a P3D AM setting when P3Dv4 was launched, but I do believe that it's good practice to keep add-on programs away from Core 0. No need to use Process Lasso, batchfiles etc. since FSUIPC5 has an often overlooked function to do this for you, such as:

[Programs]
Run1=CLOSE,AM=4,D:\Program Files (x86)\HiFi\AS_P3Dv4\AS_P3Dv4.exe
Run2= ...

Pretty self-explanatory, but you can look in the FSUIPC5 for Advanced Users manual for all the details of how to use.

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

4 minutes ago, SierraDelta said:

I dropped using a P3D AM setting when P3Dv4 was launched, but I do believe that it's good practice to keep add-on programs away from Core 0. No need to use Process Lasso, batchfiles etc. since FSUIPC5 has an often overlooked function to do this for you, such as:

[Programs]
Run2= ...

Pretty self-explanatory, but you can look in the FSUIPC5 for Advanced Users manual for all the details of how to use.

This is cool....

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

3 hours ago, newtie said:

Is core selection done through the task manager, PL or...

Yes newtie that’s how I do it. What’s strange, after deselecting core 0 unpausing the SIM then reselecting all cores, core 0 runs normally with the others and not at 100%. 

I’ve tried starting 4.4 with an AM that excludes core 0 but Im still getting stutters until I reselect all cores through the TM.

IM

1 hour ago, SierraDelta said:

[Programs]
Run2= ...

If you have addons who need to be started after P3D is already running and you need to wait for them to start till another addon is running , you need batchfiles.

in batchfiles you can set the time between starting the addons.

With my adon cockpit software I have set starting paused of 10-15 sec between the apps.

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, Iceman2 said:

Yes newtie that’s how I do it. What’s strange, after deselecting core 0 unpausing the SIM then reselecting all cores, core 0 runs normally with the others and not at 100%. 

This has been known for a long time. It's been even discussed at the LM forum time ago, however, LM advises against this trick as it destroys the intended Prepar3d threading behavior. It's for a reason core-0 running maxed doing all management while the others serve texture loading essentially.

BTW, I tried this ages ago and it did not pay off w.r.t fps or other improvements.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

16 minutes ago, pmb said:

This has been known for a long time. It's been even discussed at the LM forum time ago, however, LM advises against this trick as it destroys the intended Prepar3d threading behavior. It's for a reason core-0 running maxed doing all management while the others serve texture loading essentially.

BTW, I tried this ages ago and it did not pay off w.r.t fps or other improvements.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks for the info.

Its only in 4.4 that I’ve noticed core 0 max’d out. But for now this method is my only remedy for the stutters.

I’ll keep tweaking and see if I can find another solution. 

19 hours ago, G-YMML1 said:

What is the general consensus regarding HT usage for P3D? I have been using it ON with my 6700k and modest 4.6 OC, but now I'm planning to reach 5.0 OC with 9900k. However, there is a vast majority of comments that stable 5.0 OC on 9900k is reachable with HT off only. Hence, I'm wondering whether P3D does benefit from HT. If it does, then perhaps I should curb my enthusiasm and stick with 4.8.  

Thanks

Dmitriy

HT=ON and smooth,,,makes no sense to turn it off only if you don;'t have a clue what you are doing 😉

• Like 1

André

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

If you have addons who need to be started after P3D is already running and you need to wait for them to start till another addon is running , you need batchfiles.

in batchfiles you can set the time between starting the addons.

With my adon cockpit software I have set starting paused of 10-15 sec between the apps.

There are alternatives to batch files. SimStarterNG has the option to start a program only when P3D is ready. And you can do the same with FSUIPC5 using the Run option.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Lasso does for me, as I said all this batch file milarky isnt for me, adding AM's to CFG isnt for me.

If it isnt broke.

MSFS2020 ,P3D V5, Ryzen 3600 4.2GHZ, 32GB 3000 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1600 Super 6GB, 22 inch 75 hz Monitor , Windows 10 204, Toposim,   Orbx Global, Vector, Europe  N & S California LC, England Regions,  England, PMDG 737, 777, Majestic Q400 and Aerosoft Airbus A318-20.

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

There are alternatives to batch files. SimStarterNG has the option to start a program only when P3D is ready. And you can do the same with FSUIPC5 using the Run option.

Batchfiles start apps from within Windows with the choosen affinity settings.

All other apps push the affinity settings..

Steve W has written about that several times. Just use Search. 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0