Among my current PC problems, is a large amount of data loss (my entire ‘Pictures’ folder containing a life time’s worth of pics!
I reformatted an M.2 Sata drive (Samsung 850 EVO), knowing I had backups of all its data. Ha! The backup was on a WD 2Tb HDD which, when plugged in, reports a ‘SMART’ failure and refuses to give up any of its data.

I’ve now tried no less than SEVEN free ‘data recovery’ programs, none of which have found more than just an old system folder with nothing in it.

Is even worth trying to continue?  Lots of research suggests the data is still present, as I’ve not used the drive for anything else, and it was only a ‘quick format’.

What are your thoughts ladies and gents?

27 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Perhaps You should consider contacting one of the DATA RECOVERY services suggested by Western Digital.
(Some companies won't charge if no data is recovered)

M.2 or SSD drives are different, and almost imposible to recover.

Not to add fire to Your problem. But I don't trust any SSD or HDD, so I always keep at least 2 copies of all my important data.

Edited by RamonB

After you reformat an SSD, the Win 10 TRIM/DEALLOCATE and the SSD internal garbage collection processes go to work, reflashing the now-unused data blocks to zeroes to get them ready to be rewritten.  After a reformat, ALL of the data blocks are flagged by TRIM for erasure, and depending on how your SSD schedules its garbage collection (some wait for periods of low or no disk activity, some interleave it with regular read/write activity), that data is going to disappear somewhere between quickly and very quickly as the blocks are erased in the normal internal GC process.

Your best bet is to send that 2TB backup drive off to a professional data recovery service...they may be able to remove the platters and recover the data.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

38 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Among my current PC problems, is a large amount of data loss (my entire ‘Pictures’ folder containing a life time’s worth of pics!
I reformatted an M.2 Sata drive (Samsung 850 EVO), knowing I had backups of all its data. Ha! The backup was on a WD 2Tb HDD which, when plugged in, reports a ‘SMART’ failure and refuses to give up any of its data.

I’ve now tried no less than SEVEN free ‘data recovery’ programs, none of which have found more than just an old system folder with nothing in it.

Is even worth trying to continue?  Lots of research suggests the data is still present, as I’ve not used the drive for anything else, and it was only a ‘quick format’.

Phil, there is a Data Recovery company that when I worked for an IT retailer we used to use. Very proven results, but you'd be looking in the £500+ charge to recover a HDD in lab conditions. I attended a course of theirs, and they were professional. The ones that nailed a certain singer synonymous with 'shine'.

Having lost data too, I know your pain.

Edited by vc10man

50 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Not sure if this was amongst the recovery software you tried, but it has worked for me on the few occasions that I lost data which other programs couldn't find - Data Recovery Wizard: https://www.easeus.com/

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

28 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Not sure if this was amongst the recovery software you tried, but it has worked for me on the few occasions that I lost data which other programs couldn't find - Data Recovery Wizard: https://www.easeus.com/

One of the first I tried, as I also use use their free partition software, which is excellent.

53 minutes ago, w6kd said:

After you reformat an SSD, the Win 10 TRIM/DEALLOCATE and the SSD internal garbage collection processes go to work, reflashing the now-unused data blocks to zeroes to get them ready to be rewritten.  After a reformat, ALL of the data blocks are flagged by TRIM for erasure, and depending on how your SSD schedules its garbage collection (some wait for periods of low or no disk activity, some interleave it with regular read/write activity), that data is going to disappear somewhere between quickly and very quickly as the blocks are erased in the normal internal GC process.

Your best bet is to send that 2TB backup drive off to a professional data recovery service...they may be able to remove the platters and recover the data.

Regards

Wow!  Thanks Bob.  I had absolutely no idea that Windows10 did that with SSD drives.  And that's exactly how all the recovery software is acting - as if a 'secure' reformat has been done.

We live and learn so thanks Bob

On a similar subject guys, having now installed two 500Gb M.2 drives (1 sata & 1 nvme) on the motherboard, I'm really shocked to discover, that leaves only 3 of the 6 sata ports operational!  My bad, as I obviously misunderstood how it worked.  I thought i might loose two ports at the most, but three is baaaaaad:-(

PCI-E SATA cards?  The subject seems to be a minefield, with prices ranging from about £10 to almost infinity!

From my extremely limited understanding, the cheap ones do not have their own onboard BIOS, but instead, rely on the motheroard BIOS for control.  Is that understanding correct?

I did once (many years ago), buy a cheapo one from eBay that worked for about 30 days before dying.

What's the score with these wee beasties?