Sign in to follow this  
SpeedbirdCanada

FS9 Default Airport Background Polygons not showing

I am at my wits end for diagnosing this anomaly. So I have a question:

Is there an enhancement addon released in the last few years that may affect the display/effect of the ABxxxxxx.bgl files (Airport Background) to the extent that the polygons no longer display AND autogen scenery is now all over the aprons and runways? I've been coping with the issue for a while (creating new polygons and exclude files with SBuilder as I encouter them) however, recently I experimented an bounced around the entire globe to various default airports and can see that it is a global problem. I've searched the default scenery folders to confirm that all the AB files are present for the affected airports and through SBuilder can confirm that all the polygons are layered at "7" (for airport background/autogen exclude).

Furthermore, I have scanned the terrain.cfg files and all Airport background textures are flagged "autogen exclude =1" which according to documentation is correct.

I'm sure I installed something (which may make it impossible to track down) that has configured FS scenery to somehow "hide" this airport background polygons (thus creating autogen trees and buildings on top) but, I'm hoping for some suggestions as to hunting down the issue..... What can cause this?
Just recently I have disabled the world texture folder (so autogen is gone), I've disabled various addon scenery folders but before I go through all 1400+ entries, I was hoping someone may have experienced and fixed or my have an inkling as to what type of file/addon/freeware/payware that may be able to essentially disable all the AP background polygons from rendering without deleting or editing the original BGLs. I'm assuming an exclude of some kind but, for all of them?

A search on google has turned up only a couple instances reported by others but nothing resolved nor does it seem very likely it is a common issue (only response indicated a landclass file but, worldwide?)

If someone out there has experienced this and/or can recall what addon caused this please post. Any other suggestions are very welcome. Thanks

Using the naughty Orbx textures for FS9 had an enhanced or dense autogen option which I found put trees on many airport background textures.

I ended up using Evo and TNW for pretty much that reason.

Hope this helps,

Ian

Not sure I used those..... Investigating.... I have discovered that after disabling ALL addon folders the autogen problem seemed to have disappeared but visually the polygon for the airport backgrounds still don't show (underlining city polygon beneath a nearby airport etc) But it is helpful. Will investigate further. If so, I'll have to figure out how to remove them.

So I've located a small set of VTPP files from the "Forgotten Airports" package (by Bastian Blinten) found on Flightsim.com that when active, somehow allows autogen to spew across all default airports worldwide. When I remove the files Abidjan_VTPP Bissau_VTPP Cotonou_VTPP Freetwon_VTPP Manzini_VTPP Nouakchott_VTPP, all the default airports now have autogen excluded from appearing on runways and aprons. So I got that going for me but, I still don't visually see that background grass around the default airports (ie city streets, farms, etc are still rendering under the runways just no autogen. Weird.

I may be kicking in an already open door here but I think your best (but rather tedious) option for finding the culprit file(s) is to use the trial and error method by in turn de- and re-activating large groups of addon sceneries from within your FS9 and in between, checking if your problem is resolved.

If suddenly your problem seems to be resolved then you can re-activate smaller scenery groups or one by one until the addon scenery containing the problem is singled out. Then repeat this process by deleting groups of BGL files from the scenery folder itself to the (initially empty) recycle bin (from where you can restore them in groups or one by one) until the actual culprit BGL is found.

Good luck.

Hans (Netherlands)

Hi Ryan,

I may not fully understand your problem, but I recently had something go wrong with airport grassy areas.  For some reason, it all looked like a puddle of watery split pea soup.  After checking everything I could think of, I took a look at the FS9 scenery settings under the Display tab.  There I discovered "Terrain Detail" and "Water Effects" had both been set to "None".  The problem was solved when I set them back to my preference of "Land Only" and "Low".

I had not touched any of the settings for a long time.  Why or how did they change?  I have no idea, but maybe it will give you something else to check.

Regards, JerryH

Thanks for the suggestion Hans. I disabled all scenery except for the Default Terrain, Default Scenery and the Continents. No effect. This is leading me to believe, a file(s) has been overwritten in the default scenery that is causing this anomaly. Might just have to live with it as my sim looks fantastic and hate to resort to a fresh install. I was hoping someone may have some more technical ideas to determine how this is possible (for example, what type of files can override or exclude these polygons on a large scale?)

I will play with those settings Jerry but, I do like what they do for my sims appearance with all my mods. Appreciate all the suggestions people. Many thanks.