Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Vertx DA62 has launched!

Two things I noticed. When taxiing and applying full rudder left or right the radius is very large.

I am using Crosswind pedals.

If I do a direct-to  initially the plane turns correctly but after a couple of minutes it looses the

direct-to and flies some weird curves; doing the direct-to a second time everything is fine.

Edited by Petermuc3

Peter

Win10/64/32,0GB, i9-9900KS@4.00GHz, Gigabyte 1080ti, P3Dv5.1

3 hours ago, Petermuc3 said:

Two things I noticed. When taxiing and applying full rudder left or right the radius is very large.

I am using Crosswind pedals.

If I do a direct-to  initially the plane turns correctly but after a couple of minutes it looses the

direct-to and flies some weird curves; doing the direct-to a second time everything is fine.

I use the Thrustmaster pedals and my turn radii are fine. Of course I have to use differental braking and have to taxi slow to achieve very small turn radii.

My rudder axis is set in P3D to sensitivity = 64 (128 max), increase this value when needed. Same applies to the null zone setting of the axis, the default value (32) reduces achievable max rudder/nose wheel deflection, reduce this value, the crosswind should handle that. Of course I assume you do not use FSUIPC or another special software between hardware and P3D, which would change all.

Regarding direct-to, when I have something reproduceable I might perform a test flight within the next 24 hours.

Edited by rudi0310

Rüdiger ("Rudi") Heilig

My videos "Vertx DA62 - in detail - in a nutshell": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYDO8_1njznTbsyJKEr3X2g

All my postings and other publications reflect my personal view only

I adjusted my axis already, but then I assume that turn radius is correct.

As far as the direct-to problem is concerned I do have that with every waypoint.

Peter

Win10/64/32,0GB, i9-9900KS@4.00GHz, Gigabyte 1080ti, P3Dv5.1

Hi guys (perhaps the resident gurus Sean and Rudi might read this :-).

first of all, a very happy 2019 to the community.
Big kudos, Sean, for creating the best GA aircraft for P3D on the market with brilliant aerodynamic behaviour and - for a first release - amazingly good G1000 simulation which we shall be excited to see grow and develop further.
I've been involved in the R&D for a robot-based full-flight Level-D simulator for DLR (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGnKxWZqahE) and therefore spent a lot of time in the DA42. We also fly the TBM850 in the real world, so the G1000 feels a little bit like the home office.

I've noticed some unpredictable behaviour which never occurs on the real thing: after setting up approach normally (navdata used is 1813r1 through fsAerodata) the flight plan/autopilot correctly goes into direct mode to the iaf. 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yvL_9bbQvIyGo_uuR-OJuh_7tvUgVDNW (MFD)

On reaching the iaf, instead of following the prodecure, it will jump to a random segment or even two further down the legs list and the aircraft turns to a random heading towards the field, not even the one it lists on the PFD:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N7NCMfr2mt_MA5j9BDIhcfOlSM6JKWnx (MFD), see PFD: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UhWKJ9BW0BE1ReRh3xik6VtRDSV1ElEd

So the only way to deal with it is to jump from LNAV into Heading mode and fly the approach that way. 
One other little problem is that some altitudes in approaches are wrong (a few thousand feet off, for example in approach to and at the iaf in LOWI. Could this be a problem with Navigraph data ?
That's it for today, 

Cheers
Baz.

3 hours ago, Bazza744 said:

Hi guys (perhaps the resident gurus Sean and Rudi..

Hi Baz,

I am not a "guru" regarding the DA62. i only offer some (7, to be exact) entertainment videos about her 😎  And I do not speak on behalf of Vertx,..

Many thanks  for your very detailed description, I might have overlooked which airport, but I see, this is one of the approaches to RWY 26L of EDDM via feeder (transition) MUN VOR, but approach "RNAV 26L" looks different here (AIRAC 1801) regarding the name and position of the waypoints, when I compare this to your screenshots.

You might contact Sean via email if he does not respond here within the next 4 hours. Vertx customers find all necessary details regarding support contact to Vertx in the DA62 user manual page 50 (via the DA62 config tool). There is also a way to contact Sean via his website https://vertxsim.com/

Rudi 

Rüdiger ("Rudi") Heilig

My videos "Vertx DA62 - in detail - in a nutshell": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYDO8_1njznTbsyJKEr3X2g

30 minutes ago, rudi0310 said:

Hi Baz,

I am not a "guru" regarding the DA62. i only offer some (7, to be exact) entertainment videos about her 😎  And I do not speak on behalf of Vertx,..

None the less, we appreciate all of your help Rudi.  🙂

Bill

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill  N7IBG     

42 minutes ago, Bill Griffith said:

None the less, we appreciate all of your help Rudi.  🙂

Bill

Thanks, Bill!

5 hours ago, Petermuc3 said:

I adjusted my axis already, but then I assume that turn radius is correct.

As far as the direct-to problem is concerned I do have that with every waypoint.

How "difficult" it is to taxi a steep turn depends on the (real) aircraft itself and how close this real  behavior is implemented. Many GA a/c are somewhat "stubborn". Most worse was the real Diamond Katana (2-seater), I had to steer with the brakes, no steerable nose wheel at all... and in many GA a/c steering angle of the nosewheel is limited (30 deg for example) Some publishers do not implement this, results in less support requests... The DA62 seems to be rather good-natured, I need differential brakes only for 180 deg turns on smaller runways or really steep taxi turns.

Regarding the direct-to problem, no clue what happens in your case. What shows the AFCS status box (PFD, the line between NAV2 and COM2)? In case of a direct-to it must show "GPS AP YD ALT" (if you hold altitude), and the line above there is the direct-to symbol and the target designator..

Rüdiger ("Rudi") Heilig

Thanks, dear Rudi - don't be too modest... 😎🙏. It is indeed the ILS approach to 26L using the most recent AIRAC (1813r1, valid until today, 1901 will come later tonight) in the DA62. Just tried LOWI-LOWG and the approach to 35C worked very well. It seems a problem that doesn't occur at all airports.

Cheers and keep up the great work. I can only guess how much work must have gone into your tutorials....

Baz (EDMO)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bazza744 said:

Thanks, dear Rudi - don't be too modest... 😎🙏. It is indeed the ILS approach to 26L using the most recent AIRAC (1813r1, valid until today, 1901 will come later tonight) in the DA62. Just tried LOWI-LOWG and the approach to 35C worked very well. It seems a problem that doesn't occur at all airports.

Cheers and keep up the great work. I can only guess how much work must have gone into your tutorials....

Baz (EDMO)

Many thanks Baz!

I also had a look at the ILS approach before responding, but also this one differs. I inspected them in Little Navmap (AIRAC 1801)  It's time to subscribe FSAerodata now, what I have been shuffling in front of me for two weeks.

It took 110+ hours to produce these 7 videos. Most work was "part 2", 50+ hours. "Second place" was "part 5" I guess, one of the most important parts IMO.

Rudi (EDRY)

Edited by rudi0310
  • Like 2

Rüdiger ("Rudi") Heilig

Dear Rudi,

thanks a lot - you will really enjoy having the up-to-date AIRACs, I get dangerously confused if they're too far off the real aircraft I am exposed to. There are lots of changes in 1901 from 1813 😉
I think it is essential for everybody owning Sean's wonderbird to have them through Aerodata (unless he's planning some direct Navigraph support in the near future). Given the amazingly low price tag of the 62 (I would have been more than happy to shell out $99 for it), it's not a big expense at all.
One other small question as you have been testing the aircraft so thoroughly: when you change something in the configurator like de-ice fluid or oxygen, plus other settings, the only become active after a reset, not straight away - is that meant to be that way ?
I am actually in Speyer quite frequently, so let's meet and have a drink somewhere in the Maximilianstrasse if you like 🍻

Cheers,

Baz.

@Bazza744

Dear Baz,

most settings like "Graphics - G1000 Screen Reflections" you can change in-flight. De-ice fluid and oxygen are two exceptions to avoid "cheating in-flight", to increase realism as Sean says. To refill, you must be on ground and not moving. Or another a/c must be selected. Or P3D is closed. Re-loading the a/c in-flight does not help.

To meet and have a drink  - sounds good! I send you a PM containing my contact data. 

Cheers,

Rudi

Edited by rudi0310
  • Like 1

Rüdiger ("Rudi") Heilig

Thanks a lot, Rudi ! It's interesting - we used a flight plan from EDMO to LOWS yesterday which is quite different in detail if we flew it today - so here's to Navdata updates 😂
I've written a PN to you.

Cheers Baz.

Can I come too ?

Where is this "Maximilianstrasse" ?

Is it near North Wales ?

1 hour ago, Gabe777 said:

Can I come too ?

Where is this "Maximilianstrasse" ?

Is it near North Wales ?

Yes, you are welcome! Not so far away, only about 400nm, search for EDRY. The DA62 needs about 2.5h I guess.

5 hours ago, Bazza744 said:

Thanks a lot, Rudi ! It's interesting - we used a flight plan from EDMO to LOWS yesterday which is quite different in detail if we flew it today - so here's to Navdata updates 😂
I've written a PN to you.

Cheers Baz.

Dear Baz,

must something been wrong. I sent you a PM this morning, you did not read yet, I did not get a msg from you. Must be a year 2019-problem 😮

Have installed FSAerodata today. 

FAA 2017 regarding LPV:

"The FAA plans to publish 300 WAAS approach procedures per year"

"From a pilot’s viewpoint, an LPV approach looks and flies like an ILS, but the WAAS approach is more stable than that of an ILS"

Cheers,

Rudi

Rüdiger ("Rudi") Heilig