Sign in to follow this  
LecLightning56

Better fps in Windows 7 than Windows 10 in X-Plane 11.30r1

I am running a dual boot PC with X-Plane 11.30r1 installed on two operating systems: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. For my default option for comparison purposes of the FlightFactor A320 at Orbx Southampton RW02 with Orbx True Earth Great Britain South, I get about 38fps in Windows 7 and 30fps in Windows 10.

The installations are exactly the same in terms of the settings in both the X-Plane installations (weather is set similarly in both) and nothing is different about the CPU or GPU clockings in both cases. My hardware is only modest with an Intel 875K turbo-boosted to 4GHz with multipliers, GeForce GTX1070, and 16GB RAM installed.

I am wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with X-Plane 11.30 in its beta releases and can offer an explanation for this behaviour (other than stick with Windows 7 for X-Plane 11.30 and ditch Windows 10!).

Edited by LecLightning56

2 hours ago, LecLightning56 said:

I am running a dual boot PC with X-Plane 11.30r1 installed on two operating systems: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. For my default option for comparison purposes of the FlightFactor A320 at Orbx Southampton RW02 with Orbx True Earth Great Britain South, I get about 38fps in Windows 7 and 30fps in Windows 10.

The installations are exactly the same in terms of the settings in both the X-Plane installations (weather is set similarly in both) and nothing is different about the CPU or GPU clockings in both cases. My hardware is only modest with an Intel 875K turbo-boosted to 4GHz with multipliers, GeForce GTX1070, and 16GB RAM installed.

I am wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with X-Plane 11.30 in its beta releases and can offer an explanation for this behaviour (other than stick with Windows 7 for X-Plane 11.30 and ditch Windows 10!).

I went back to Windows 8.1 Pro from Windows 10. Seems to be more stable and not  only for X-Plane.

Can't really say what the difference is with regard to FPS as I do not run both plus I do not chase FPS anymore.  I get it running okay and never start an FPS counter, I find them distracting and half the time you just spend trying to get a few frames per second more. If the sim seems to run smoothly I'm fine with that.

Have you checked Task Manager for background processes running in both versions? That's the first thing I thought of. There may be non-Windows background apps taking up CPU cycles.

FYI, Microsoft ends extended support for Win7 on January 14, 2020. No more security updates after that date, which means it will become a prime target for malware. Like Win XP is now. For me, that would be the best reason to use a more current version. Although I suppose you could keep a Win7 system as a "black box" for flight sims without an Internet connection.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 hour ago, Glenn_C said:

s I do not chase FPS anymore.  I get it running okay and never start an FPS counter, I find them distracting and half the time you just spend trying to get a few frames per second more. If the sim seems to run smoothly I'm fine with that.

Totally agree , even at 20 fps for me its still smooth.

My linux box kills W10 performance somehow in XP11

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

24 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Totally agree , even at 20 fps for me its still smooth.

My linux box kills W10 performance somehow in XP11

Forgive me for misunderstanding your comments, but are you saying that Linux out-performs W10 with XP11?

8 minutes ago, LecLightning56 said:

Forgive me for misunderstanding your comments, but are you saying that Linux out-performs W10 with XP11?

at least for me. but it might vary for others. the difference is like 8-10 fps better for me in linux. It could also be due to the GPU drivers which are not great for opengl but the same works fine under linux. 

I am sure the performance between 7 and 10 should not be more different, but i have noticed w10 loads a lot of funny unwanted stuff and such , background process too many things and that puts me off. 

Edited by HumptyDumpty

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

3 minutes ago, LecLightning56 said:

In most cases that I have seen, Linux out-performs Windows. The disadvantage of the platform is that not all plugins are supporting Linux (this is also true for Mac, but in a lesser degree).

(To be clear, XP11 under Linux compared to XP11 under Windows).

Edited by soaring_penguin

Just a thought here... Windows 10 introduced a "Game Mode" feature last year, which basically tries to shift resources away from background processes and into whatever game you're playing. IIRC, it's not very useful on newer systems and if you're not running a bunch of background processes, but it does work with older computers and ones that are clogged with background apps. Here's an article from PC World about it:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3187171/windows/tested-windows-10s-game-mode-makes-unplayable-games-playable-sometimes.html

There may be some discussion about this in relation to XP11, here or over at the .org forum, I don't remember. Might be worth a try, anyway. I don't think you can break anything by enabling it.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor