Sign in to follow this  
Djang0

Motherboard RAM topology

I have come across RAM "T-topology" on Gigabyte Z390 Aorus boards.

Q) What difference does this make to the selection of RAM? For a 32GB 3200MHz kit would I be better off with 2x16 or 4x8?

Q) What about other Z390 manufacturers?

Q) Is T-topology chipset specific?

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

The safest bet on actually hitting the rated XMP on a 4 dimm 2 channel ddr4 board is to populate all the slots with matching memory -not mission critical, but according to the gurus I trust, your best bet.

Oh, t-topology is the standard layout for 4 dimm z series boards

Edited by FunknNasty

would I be better off with 2x16 or 4x8?

2X16... although modern boards handle all slots full quite well. Theoretically you stand a better chance of achieving the highest clock with only two slots filled. 

In theory, t-topology maintains equal trace lengths between the CPU and RAM slots. It's supposed to improve stability, and improve overclocking. 

To the OP: We could bring in 5 experts to discuss memory with us and none would understand what the others are saying, and they'd all be right.

Now to Martin 🙂 ....Martin Martin Martin .....If I gave you a few dollars (US) would you promise to go to the movies or the zoo? <vbg>

t-topology is just generic term describing the trace layout. Making the trace of equal length means taking shortest trace and making it longer and then you'd have to match lengths of the dimms assigned to the memory ports .....too much flipping work for a typical mobo mfg ....that's why they match ports not dimm slots. 

....the above also explains (indirectly) why 2 dimm boards are faster that 4 dimm boards -no t-junctions. 

edit: mo specifically, the two traces used to hook up the dimms used for the "A" (or "B") port don't match, but they effectively do when ports A and B are used together. 

Edited by FunknNasty
changed channels to ports

You like the sound of your own voice. I know you are just doing the "wind Martin up " thing as you said in the PM you sent me after making your comments, but its getting annoying now and the "go to the zoo" thing or like last time" dont let him on the forum" is crossing over from friendly kidding into rudeness.

You need to desist. Its immature and not funny and delivering a PM at the same time doesn't negate the rudeness.

Edited by martin-w

OK so iIm going to stick with finding a 32GB 2x16 kit.

Edited by Djang0

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

You like the sound of your own voice. I know you are just doing the "wind Martin up " thing as you said in the PM you sent me after making your comments, but its getting annoying now and the "go to the zoo" thing or like last time" dont let him on the forum" is crossing over from friendly kidding into rudeness.

You need to desist. Its immature and not funny and delivering a PM at the same time doesn't negate the rudeness.

Angels fly because they take themselves lightly .....

C'mon man. :-(

1 hour ago, FunknNasty said:

Angels fly because they take themselves lightly .....

C'mon man. 😞

Useful criticism of forum posts is great, I love criticism, it's how we all learn, but if you follow it up with personal comments about them, and then minutes later, before they have even read it, find the need to PM them to clarify that you were "playing with them" then you shouldn't have made the comments in the first instance.

I know you are a decent lad, and don't mean anything by it, but "pay you to go the the moves" and "can you go the the zoo or something", and "can we make a new forum so Martin can stay there and not comment here" (paraphrasing) I don't really find amusing.  Just a bit badly judged. Just giving you some feedback. Therefore I'd appreciate it if you refrained. 

Edited by martin-w