Sign in to follow this  
kupelich

WX Radar Question - B747-400

Hi All,

Is a purchase needed of Active Sky Next to have WX Radar working on B744? After installing the just PMDG747 in FSX Steam, I do not have my weather radar displaying any precip with 100% rain set in the sim weather engine. Detailed clouds are enabled. I do have the latest version update.Can anyone please help? 

Thank you!

Max Y.

Can you please explain what do you mean by "full usability"? It will not work in FSX with default FSX weather precip without the Active Sky, correct?

1 hour ago, kupelich said:

Can you please explain what do you mean by "full usability"? It will not work in FSX with default FSX weather precip without the Active Sky, correct?

you need  active sky  for to  have the radar  showing  the rain on your nd  display

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

7 hours ago, kupelich said:

Hi All,

Is a purchase needed of Active Sky Next to have WX Radar working on B744? After installing the just PMDG747 in FSX Steam, I do not have my weather radar displaying any precip with 100% rain set in the sim weather engine. Detailed clouds are enabled. I do have the latest version update.Can anyone please help? 

Thank you!

Max Y.

Yes, but I recommend that if you do decide to buy the ASN program you consider doing so from HiFi's own website and not from the Steam store.  The Steam version will only work with FSX-SE, whereas the same 32 bit program from Hifi will work with both FSX and FSX-SE.  For CB weather returns to show up properly on each pilot's Nav display in the PMDG QOTS II there has to be suitable precipitation present and each EFIS control panel's WXR button must also be selected ON.

34 minutes ago, berts said:

Yes, but I recommend that if you do decide to buy the ASN program you consider doing so from HiFi's own website and not from the Steam store.  The Steam version will only work with FSX-SE, whereas the same 32 bit program from Hifi will work with both FSX and FSX-SE.  For CB weather returns to show up properly on each pilot's Nav display in the PMDG QOTS II there has to be suitable precipitation present and each EFIS control panel's WXR button must also be selected ON.

And this is not the only reason to buy it from HiFi instead of Steam either: When I bought AS through Steam and then wanted to buy it for P3D at a later date, if I'd have bought it direct I'd have qualified for an upgrade discount, but since there was no way for HiFi to verify a Steam user's purchase, since it registers via the Steam account rather than via their normal registration system, there was no way they could apply the discount, so I was forced to pay full price even though it was an upgrade purchase for me personally and would have qualified for a discount under any other circumstances. Steam is convenient sometimes and I use it quite often, but this is one of those cases where it can screw you over.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

22 minutes ago, Chock said:

And this is not the only reason to buy it from HiFi instead of Steam either:

I agree with you Alan, although I didn't want to mention this because it wasn't part of the original question and it requires the purchase of AS4 instead.  Upgrading to a 64Bit Flight Simulator like P3Dv4.4 is a no brainer and it would only upset those like me who occasionally fly using FSX/FSX-SE and still cringe after making the BIG mistake of buying ASN on the Steam site. Never again!

Edited by berts

I'm with you guys, though I'll definitely admit to some bias, for obvious reasons.

All the same, when I'm shopping products from other developers, I usually buy it directly from them. The re-seller takes a cut from the price if it's re-sold, so the original dev doesn't get as much from a re-sale. It's also easier to get support if you ordered directly through the source, since your sales info is usually a lot easier for them to access, which helps in the cases Alan and Bertie mentioned.

I won't fault anyone for going 3rd party, though. As much as I hated GameStop, I would occasionally go there back in university (when I was relatively broke, between paying for college, food, and the occasional flight lesson) to pick up a used game (which has the even worse dev sales cut of $0) on the cheap. Then again, that market is quite different.

Additionally, some devs don't have the resources to stand up their own site/cart/support, so a re-seller/marketplace is the only way to go.

Kyle Rodgers