Sign in to follow this  
vp49p3

P3Dv4.4 Config Rebuild Now Stupid Person Proof

Everybody may know it already, but I didn't, so I thought I'd share this with others, if they don't know.  Please correct me if I'm off base or missed something.

I needed to rebuild the P3Dv4.4 config file for various reasons.  I deleted the file and let P3D rebuild it.  I then went to the display option settings, and they were just as I left them--in each option!  They did not revert to the default, as used to occur in prior iterations of P3D config rebuilding.  I didn't believe this, so I did it again and my initial options setting stayed the same, again, and didn't go back to default.

Unless I've overlooked something, I really like this feature.  Sometimes in prior P3D versions I'd forget to save my existing options profile and had to go through the options line by line to recreate them.  Now, my favorite options settings have been saved and I feel safe from myself :uwe_melk:

Edited by vp49p3

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Hello

When you delete the Prepar3D.cfg file and then launch Prepar3D it will generate again as default and return the graphics panel to a default state again.

Do you have any Add On Utilities that may be backing this file up after you delete it ?   Maybe the Lorby-SI Organizer or Simstarter or even a similar Add On like this ? 

35 minutes ago, Poppet said:

Hello

When you delete the Prepar3D.cfg file and then launch Prepar3D it will generate again as default and return the graphics panel to a default state again.

Do you have any Add On Utilities that may be backing this file up after you delete it ?   Maybe the Lorby-SI Organizer or Simstarter or even a similar Add On like this ? 

Nope--perhaps I'm deleting a different file than the actual .cfg file.  I will check this and report back tomorrow.

You can also reset the settings inside of P3D in the Display Options using Reset Defaults.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Well--I couldn't wait until tomorrow. 

This is the path to the file I've been deleting and rebuilding: 

C:/Users (me)/AppData/Roaming/Lockheed Martin/Prepare3Dv4/Prepare3D.cfg.   

1 minute ago, vp49p3 said:

That is correct.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Forgot to mention that I'm still using Windows 7, if that makes any difference..

35 minutes ago, vp49p3 said:

Sometimes there will be a cfg text document along with the actual cfg file.  Something to double check.

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

I did a full install with V4 and expected the p3d config to be set back to default. All my settings were still in place.  I deleted shaders and scenery but not the config file.  Is there anything to be gained by rebuilding config file?  

Did you follow the proper steps when you uninstalled? I think not or your settings would have gone back to default.

Rebuilding the cfg file gives you a known base to start from when you have a problem.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

41 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Did you follow the proper steps when you uninstalled? I think not or your settings would have gone back to default.

Rebuilding the cfg file gives you a known base to start from when you have a problem.

Vic

Apparently I did not delete the 6 additional folders.  If I wanted to correct that would I have to go through the whole procedure of the system uninstall from scratch via the install/uninstall in the control panel or can I delete those folders and a rebuild will occur.  All seems to be running well.  I have the new planes and the Beech planes are gone.  Would rebuilding the config clean things up sufficiently.   

see if this helps - 

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

On 12/15/2018 at 7:38 PM, mpw8679 said:

Sometimes there will be a cfg text document along with the actual cfg file.  Something to double check.

Hi-when I deleted whatever config it was it solved my problem, so I won't be doing it again as a test and am now bowing out of this thread. If I gave bad information, I sincerely apologize. Thanks, Jay.