Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

DA62 VRAM Usage? Spikes to MAX....?

I have to say this plane is fantastic but my GPU Vram is spiking in default location with base textures to almost 4GB.  I do not have global+vector+openlc installed - just Orbx SoCal for testing purposes - but VRAM is pretty much maxed out.  I have tried No Mimap VC and Mimap VC (with the texture change via the app).  

Just not understanding why the VRAM is spiked up fully in default P3D flight location.  Heck even my lod and draw settings are dialed down quite a bit for VR settings.  

I need some free VRAM even the GPU Usage is spiking almost to 100% (I can hear the fans out loud) as this plane is amazing in VR.

Using 980 GTX here

@Sean Moloney? any ideas?

Even deleted my Prepar3d.cfg and tested it out with default one which the sim creates

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Here are the screenshots and ultra low settings.  This much GPU usage shouldn't be used...something is wrong here? is it my installation? I did get my windows updated to 1809 (got forced into the update...like yesterday).

mInfkhg.jpg

HnajdQO.png

WGOlcwz.png

1Oqc0cv.png

hsYOHfm.png

Any ideas on what is going on?

Thanks

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I would expect two things are taking a lot of vram - you're running it at 4K and the texture resolution.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Yeah...I kinda got it figured out....it is the 4096 Textures....I am using no-mipmap and set the scenery textures to 1024.  Still takes lot of VRAM, and in desktop mode - Vsync needs to be on as the gpu shoots through the roof.  I don't know what windows 10 1809 is doing.  But for VR - Vsync needs to be off, I just boot p3d in VR mode straight.

Yah, I need to get 8gb+ new video card soon.  But I got it working and my shaders some how got messed up with EnvShade, it made the gpu spike like crazy...something is not right with it - especially for p3d 4.4.

Anyway - this plane needs to be seen in VR - omg it feels so real....the cockpit is so realistic omg....so many buttons, I have no idea what they all do.  Manual reading is a must.

Hi Lenny777 !

I have the some VRAM and performance problem too. I have only 4GB Nvidia Gf 1050Ti card (and an old i5 750/3500 MHz 8Gb/1600MHz  RAM system), and this plane unusable for me at this time and uninstalled now. This plane perform worse from my addons. Worse then F1 B200 ( Surprisingly), Majestic Q400,and PMDG737NG which I can use without big problem with my outdated system with internal locked 20Fps. My GPU load 100% with this addon and I have a lot of microstutters, and with my F1 B200 with similar G1000 I have only 25-30% VRAM load. Reduced all sliders a lot but it's not helped too. Internal sound is gradually changing (Steep with 1%) with the engine speed changes and not continuously fluid as in the external sound. Updated the GPU drivers too. I'm very disappointed because I didn't read minimal system requirement before  I bought it because the AVSIM  Membership reported good performane with this nice addon. I have fresh P3D v4.4 and with only several planes installed now, no OrbX or other framerate killer apps installed so far.

Sorry for my bad english, not my native language .

Edited by kaloska

I have a 1080 ZOTAC 8GB. GPU running about 45% in the air. I have all the ORBX stuff including Germany (where I'm currently flying) and running 4XSSAA with texture res at 2048x2048. If you look at the config Vertx app you might want to disable several of the graphics settings including reflections. But the textures are beautiful in the plane so yes it does tend to hit your fps. I had the plane in a hangar at EDDN (payware) with 8XSSAA and it virtually brought the plane to a halt. Around  5 fps so unflyable. I changed to 4XMSAA and turned FXAA on it was much better went back to twenties. But yeah, depends on how much you tax everything.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

I have the same issue here, running in 2D. GPU temps are on the high side, but still pretty safe.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

High res textures and 4k on that video card is pretty much the cause.

Vertex designed the Aircraft for P3D only(As it should be 😊) and accordingly it is using your GPU for many things, I imagine even gauges displays are being rendered by the GPU 😉.

You are hitting hardware limitations.

Regards 

Simbol 

I'm looking in to this. There's plenty of scope to compress the textures - it would be a shame because it would lead to reduced texture quality but worth it of course if it fixes this problem. I am a little surprised, it's not something that was causing trouble during beta testing.

I'll be releasing an update in the next few weeks with a few minor fixes and a few new features.

Sean

• Like 4

I did not notice these spikes or heating with my old GTX 970 FE & my 1080P monitor.

I have upgraded to a 1070, but even that might not be enough for 4K since I also want the best visuals that I can get.

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

4 hours ago, Skywolf said:

Yeah...I kinda got it figured out....it is the 4096 Textures....I am using no-mipmap and set the scenery textures to 1024.  Still takes lot of VRAM, and in desktop mode - Vsync needs to be on as the gpu shoots through the roof.  I don't know what windows 10 1809 is doing.  But for VR - Vsync needs to be off, I just boot p3d in VR mode straight.

Yah, I need to get 8gb+ new video card soon.  But I got it working and my shaders some how got messed up with EnvShade, it made the gpu spike like crazy...something is not right with it - especially for p3d 4.4.

Anyway - this plane needs to be seen in VR - omg it feels so real....the cockpit is so realistic omg....so many buttons, I have no idea what they all do.  Manual reading is a must.

I think we all need to check our shader presets, because even changing shadow settings with PTA can have a dramatic impact on fps.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I tend to think that some of these problems being noted may have more to do with shader utilities like Tomato Shade, PTA and EnvShade and not the aircraft. Those three shader tweakers were released quickly after the 4.4 update and might not have been checked as carefully as possible. PTA still has a problem with one of its water settings. 

Maybe someone else can answer this. Like the RealAir TD, some of the additional sounds in this aircraft are handled by Doug Dawson's sound gauge. I can't recall offhand but does the P3d UI muting function also impact the custom sounds in the Duke? I'll have to check myself.

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Maybe someone else can answer this. Like the RealAir TD, some of the additional sounds in this aircraft are handled by Doug Dawson's sound gauge. I can't recall offhand but does the P3d UI muting function also impact the custom sounds in the Duke? I'll have to check myself.

Doug Dawson says: Yes, but you need his latest sound gauge version.. just read this forum.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert