Sign in to follow this  
Jammin16

How to get better shadows in P3D v4 ...

Hi every one,

I have had this little problem that the shadows of the plane are not equal but grumpy, quirky and not equal. I have a GTX 1080 8 GB Graphic Card from MSI, and I've tried to turn up and down the shadow settings in the P3D v4 even though without luck.

I would hear if there is anyone who can help me ???

Regards Startour

P3D shadows are grumpy, quirky and not equal... It's impossible to get shadows in my P3D cockpits as the ones I get in Aerofly FS 2 on the Insane setting: now THOSE are perfect shadows! In P3D they always flicker and more and look low res.

7 minutes ago, J van E said:

P3D shadows are grumpy, quirky and not equal... It's impossible to get shadows in my P3D cockpits as the ones I get in Aerofly FS 2 on the Insane setting: now THOSE are perfect shadows! In P3D they always flicker and more and look low res.

Jeroen, did you know you can improve the look of VC shadows from the default setting? Change...[GRAPHICS] Opaque_Shadow_Texture_Size=2048(or 1024) change to: =4096 Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs! 😊

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

My P3D v4 shadows are purrrfect...😜 And that tip Rockliffe is great (been using it since 4.3) and I love eggs, fried, boiled, scrambled or sucked...😉

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Jeroen, did you know you can improve the look of VC shadows from the default setting? Change...[GRAPHICS] Opaque_Shadow_Texture_Size=2048(or 1024) change to: =4096 Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs! 😊

Well, thank you, I don't think I knew that tweak! Does it only affect VC shadows? Because I don't need all my ground shadows to be perfect. I will give this one a try for sure!

EDIT
That helps indeed! Still not as good as in AFS2 but a LOT better! Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Guest

44 minutes ago, J van E said:

Well, thank you, I don't think I knew that tweak! Does it only affect VC shadows? Because I don't need all my ground shadows to be perfect. I will give this one a try for sure!

EDIT
That helps indeed! Still not as good as in AFS2 but a LOT better! Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome Jeroen. As far as I understand, it's just for the VC shadows.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

4 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Thanks for this "cockpit shadow tip. I was gonna to ask for it anyway because I had read about it some time ago but did not remember the settings. Now that I have a 2080 Ti I'm going to improve my shadows. Are there any other internal settings I could "play" with?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

3 hours ago, J van E said:

EDIT

You can try "Opaque_Shadow_Texture_Size=8192" as well. This will sharpen your VC-shadows again a bit more.... 

Allways three greens,
Markus

VFR-Flightsimmer.de

This tweak has been out for about 1.5 years now. See the YouTube video by Rob Ainscough (search for P3D shadows). It affects all shadows, not just cockpit shadows.Obviously, don't go too high on the setting since frames will be impacted by all shadows drawn at higher resolutions.

Hi every one,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have now got a lot better shadows by means of your suggestions.

Happy Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you.

Regards Startour

The tweak works for cockpit shadows.  Really nice and clean shadows.  Not sure why LM would not make it the default.

Cheers
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

18 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

The tweak works for cockpit shadows.  Really nice and clean shadows.  Not sure why LM would not make it the default.

Cheers
bs

Well, in fairness, they have made the default setting 2048 in v4.4, upped it from 1024 (I think) but going to 4096 risks hitting performance on less capable rigs. Talking of pushing the resolution further would be interesting to say the least! 

Howard