Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Vertx VS Carenado: The DA62

Interesting. I do have to say I am surprised to see jaggies on the wing of the "real" cockpit photo at the 4 minute mark. Are you sure that is a real photo?

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I have not tested yet but was just watching a video on the aircraft and they mentioned electronic stability control that will push you back to 30 degrees of bank if you do too steep of a turn. Does anyOne know if the Vertx has this feature? 

Good video Chock, did you notice that you tried to start the engines with the fuel off?  Ctrl E fixed that.  

Edited by MarkW

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

I have not tested yet but was just watching a video on the aircraft and they mentioned electronic stability control that will push you back to 30 degrees of bank if you do too steep of a turn. Does anyOne know if the Vertx has this feature? 

Good video Chock, did you notice that you tried to start the engines with the fuel off?  Ctrl E fixed that.  

Yup, I did notice that lol

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, Howellerman said:

Interesting. I do have to say I am surprised to see jaggies on the wing of the "real" cockpit photo at the 4 minute mark. Are you sure that is a real photo?

What it is, is a screengrab of one of those 360 degree pannable composite pictures, which is on the Diamond Website as part of their virtual tour, so yes, it is a real photo, or at least a composite of several real photos, but not particularly high res ones.

Alan Bradbury

Getting tough to be a reviewer.  We have some sharp-eye members!  What reviewers get when they put the magnifying app in the SmartPhones and I-Phones! 😄 (and the Ctrl+ feature in Windows).

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Have watched Chock's video and have been flying the Diamond quite a bit and I have thoughts.

I really like the Vertx. The flying is great. Avionics work. All the sounds are very good. But, why no side windows? Puzzling, but maybe those are optional? The model and textures are great, especially the external work. (The Carenado version looked wonky around the cowling, imo.)

All the above come together to provide a great sense of flying. A real value at $40.

The Carenado (as viewed in Chock's video) was obviously pretty, but the sounds really spoiled it for me. The reuse of the same old switch and engine sounds is pretty lazy. I don't have a view of the avionic's fidelity.

Fun fact: I flew into some icing during climb-out and didn't have any anti-ice turned on. I spun in before I could count to 3. I guess this means they modeled structural icing.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Great comparison between the two and a good point on the Carenado Synthetic Vision. I was considering getting it for some other Carenado's I own and if I already had it that would be a factor on which DA62 to choose.

Can anyone tell me how the two are for night flying? I have a few aircraft from Carenado and some have ok cockpit and landing lights while others are terrible. Landing the Carenado SR22 GTSX on a moonless night is an adventure. On the other end of the spectrum the A2A C182 is fantastic both in the cockpit and lighting up the runway.

| i5 7400@3GHz | 8GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | 1TB HDD | Saitek X52 Pro |

A great discussion, many great points. But at the end of the day, for those of us who use FSX and who do not [yet] use P3Dv..., and who may wish to presently fly a DA62, and not at some point down the road, the juxtaposition, let alone the comparison, is all rather moot isn't it?

Yes, there are those of us who still exist... for *whatever* reasons.

Regards,  Russ

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

While it is true that the FSX sector is shrinking, it is also true that FSX is still the most widely used platform in FS:

Furthermore, it appears that widely-vaunted P3D's FS demographic is growing more slowly than previously; in fact, its rate of growth has slowed considerably. That such excellent developers such as Sean Moloney/Vertx (I have several RealAir aircraft) and others are choosing not to address the still, to this day and for the foreseeable future, larger FSX demographic is a shame, if not completely understandable. I suspect that there are *many* of us, such as myself, who would have wished that we were able to fly the Vertx model. But we can't. Hence, Carenado gets the $35.

Edited by RustyFlyer
  • Upvote 1

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

3 hours ago, RustyFlyer said:

While it is true that the FSX sector is shrinking, it is also true that FSX is still the most widely used platform in FS.

That such excellent developers such as Sean Moloney/Vertx (I have several RealAir aircraft) and others are choosing not to address the still, to this day and for the foreseeable future, larger FSX demographic is a shame, if not completely understandable. I suspect that there are *many* of us, such as myself, who would have wished that we were able to fly the Vertx model. But we can't. Hence, Carenado gets the $35.

This is in fact one of the many reasons I made the comparison video and why the very first comment I made on this thread was that it isn't necessarily the black and white conclusion one might expect.

It's very easy to simply come out with a blanket statement of 'well obviously the Vertx one is the best' and a few people commented on my video saying that it was pointless to compare the two as though there could really only be one choice, but as we see, that isn't necessarily true for everyone for various reasons including which sim platform one uses, whether you want synthetic vision simulated and already have it for other Carenado aeroplanes, whether you want a lite version, and so on.

It's very easy to make the mistake of virtually residing in the closed system of an online community such as Avsim, which by its very nature finds itself home to many pretty hardcore and dedicated flight sim enthusiasts, and imagine such a place is completely representative of everyone who likes flying simulations.

This notion is one of the reasons why I was disappointed that many among that number simply refused to recognise that Dovetail's efforts with Flight Sim World might potentially bridge the gap between enthusiasts for having been marketed through Steam and thus attain a much wider exposure for the hobby. It's still a source of annoyance to me that more hardcore flight simmers didn't get behind that effort and offer them the encouragement they probably deserved for giving that a shot.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

24 minutes ago, Chock said:

... It's very easy to make the mistake of virtually residing in the closed system of an online community such as Avsim, which by its very nature finds itself home to many pretty hardcore and dedicated flight sim enthusiasts, and imagine such a place is completely representative of everyone who likes flying simulations....

...It's still a source of annoyance to me that more hardcore flight simmers didn't get behind that effort and offer them the encouragement they probably deserved for giving that a shot.

Agree with you entirely, Chock! And I was once actually a very serious "hardcore" flight simmer before my many-year hiatus from FS (just as P3D was beginning to develop legs), and before returning to FS just a couple of weeks or so ago. I hope to become hardcore again! lol But, I also agree with your comment about broadening one's FS horizons beyond the wonderful Avsim community. That is why, just as I have belonged to this terrific site for many years, I am also a member of many other great aviation & flight sim sites & forums (and have been for many, many years), although not all with the same User Name (will probably begin making that consistent  lol).

Btw, thanks for the terrific video, Chock, I found it both informative and very enjoyable to watch. In fact, it is what capped my decision to purchase the Carenado DA62... and so I did! Um, thank you!

Im quite surprised that anyone who is a hard core simmer could possibly go past the TBM900 for xplane.

Its G1000 is the best in any sim period and to boit you get the best turboprop GA aircraft ever done.

I picked up the Vertex Diamond to compare it to the Aerobask one and i do prefer it...

But if your after a great G1000 aircraft there is only one choice.

Hot Start TBM 900...if you fly both sims its an absolute must have if there is any better GA aircraft let me know...and i already have A2A etc...

Vertex Diamond is a nice little go go buggy though!

Darren Howie

About Carenado VS VertX DA62, for those that might doubt it...a boxed FSX + (SP2) Acceleration, with select weather add-ons (the best still being freeware), plus the ORBX suite (Global, Vector and LC areas, HD Buildings, plus select detail airports), ALL running on a real FAST CPU, plus a decent GPU (not as important for FPS, unfortunately) with a suitably tailored (well tweaked) FSX.CFG, can still deliver a sim experience as good any P3Dv3 or X-Plane11 video I've seen to date. Reshade® and a mix of great and varied freeware and payware aircraft (still the biggest available selection) keeps me satisfied UNTIL the move to MSFS 2020.

So how long for a DA62 then?

PS: Carenado's DA62 Garmin 1000 implementation is rubbish, even in v2.0.

Q: So how can it be even worse than in other prior products like their TBM850 or Phenom 300?

Take a look inside the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg files as installed. It looks like they were edited by an intoxicated individual.

GW

On 4/13/2020 at 6:40 AM, GullWings said:

Take a look inside the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg files as installed. It looks like they were edited by an intoxicated individual.

Which parts of the aircraft.cfg are you talking about?

Edited by FDEdev

I was mainly referring to how much more VAS consumption there is with this product compared to the more efficient TBM850 and Phenom300 products from Carenado®.

w.r.t. CG's I am pointing to entries and gauges commented out, whereas SVS which should have been, and was not, despite the fact that I didn't have SVS installed (a real FPS killer, anyway)..

Examples cited are...

//--------------------------------------------------------
//[Window08]
//Background_color=0,0,0
//size_mm=700,800

//window_size= 0.344, 0.800

//position=3
//visible=0
//nomenu=1
//ident=10290

//gauge00=DA62!TestWindowsAircraft,   0,  0, 700,800

[Vcockpit01]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
visible=0
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$Panel_1

gauge00=NAVIGRAPHDA62!Proline_Config,  0,0,10,10
gauge01=NAVIGRAPHDA62!Proline_Common_Update,  0,0,10,10
gauge02=NAVIGRAPHDA62!Proline_C_Patch,  0,0,10,10

gauge03=DA62_G1000!G1000_CONFIGDA62,     0,0,   1,  1
gauge04=DA62_G1000!COMMON_UPDATE_G1000PFD,    0,  0,   1,  1
gauge05=DA62_G1000!G1000_PFDDA62VC,        0,0,384, 250
gauge06=DA62!ToggleCARG1000,          32,0, 384, 16

// SVS
gauge07=Carenado_G1000_SVS\WebSimSVS!WebSimSVS,1,1,1,1,C_G1000.ini (THIS SHOULD BEEN COMMENTED OUT IF 'SVS' NOT INSTALLED)

[Vcockpit02]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
visible=0
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$Panel_2

gauge00=DA62_G1000!G1000_CONFIGDA62,     0,0,   1,  1
gauge01=DA62_G1000!COMMON_UPDATE_G1000MFD,    0,  0,   1,  1
//gauge02=DA62_G1000!G1000_MFDDA62VC,         0,0,410, 267

//gauge01=EMB505_G1000N!COMMON_UPDATE_G1000MFD,    0,  0,   1,  1
gauge02=DA62_G1000!G1000_MFDEMBP100VC,         0,0,410, 267
gauge03=DA62!ToggleCARG1100,           64, 0, 400,  64
gauge04=DA62_WX!SYS_DA62, 0,0,1,1

[Vcockpit03]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
visible=0
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$Panel_3

gauge00=CarSound_DA62!CarSound,  2,2,5,5
gauge01=GAUGEDA62!Gauge_UPDATE_DIG,  2,2,5,5
gauge02=DA62_G1000!G1000_Audio,         421,   0,  91, 512

gauge03=EFISSTBYDA62!EFIS, 205, 0,214, 496
//gauge04=DA62!ToggleCARG1100,   205,  0, 214,  100

But then again, the author might have been in a hurry.

___________________________________________________________________________________

If you are upset by my comment, I offer these some extra and re-arranged cameras for each of the Da62's 7 seats in apology...

[CameraDefinition.006]
Title = "Middle Back Passenger"
Guid = {0456199A-99D4-11DC-B263-66CC55D89593}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.69
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 0.4
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=20
HeadingPanRate=60
InitialXyz=0.35, 0.05, -0.85
InitialPbh=8, 0, 0

[CameraDefinition.007]
Title = "Left Middle Passenger"
Guid = {E575D28A-EECF-4CF8-9905-9EFA317D2D50}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.69
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 0.4
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=20
HeadingPanRate=60
InitialXyz=0.00, 0.05, -0.85
InitialPbh=8, 0, 350

[CameraDefinition.008]
Title = "Right Middle Passenger"
Guid = {098B8C5B-DA7F-435E-B01A-F8C9B3C8C918}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.69
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 0.4
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=20
HeadingPanRate=60
InitialXyz=0.69, 0.05, -0.85
InitialPbh=8, 0, 10

[CameraDefinition.009]
Title = "Left Rear Passenger"
Guid = {144F53B9-5498-45D7-894C-44BCC69F2207}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.69
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 0.4
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=20
HeadingPanRate=60
InitialXyz=0.25, -0.05, -1.85
InitialPbh=8, 0, 350

[CameraDefinition.010]
Title = "Right Rear Passenger"
Guid = {CBD5909E-1420-456C-93CA-A3AC696799A7}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.69
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 0.4
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=20
HeadingPanRate=60
InitialXyz=0.44, -0.05, -1.85
InitialPbh=8, 0, 10

Hope you realise I still love the thing, even with some deficits compared to the VertX® DA62, but that thing has even more irritating issues. :unsure:

Cheers,

GW