Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

11.30RC1 Performance

In the end however, 11.30 is not impressive going on sheer fps. I did a video of the sim on my hardware that showed about 30 to 36fps over TE London with all settings at max on 11.26

I can't seem to exceed 20fps with the same scenario with 11.30

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

In the end however, 11.30 is not impressive going on sheer fps. I did a video of the sim on my hardware that showed about 30 to 36fps over TE London with all settings at max on 11.26

I can't seem to exceed 20fps with the same scenario with 11.30

Did you run a comparison without any plugins or add-ons? Just straight vanilla with stock XP planes and scenery (no orthos)? With the large disparity in results people are reporting, I have to wonder if most of these poor FPS reports are due to plugin/add-on interaction, and not the base sim. 

I'm getting about the same FPS with the latest 11.30 that I got with 11.25, around 35-45 fps, never lower than 30 fps even over complex scenery. No massive improvement with 11.30, but then I don't expect that with every new version (even when Laminar suggests it might be there).

This is with ActiveSky and a few other plugins, default scenery (no orthos) and Carenado aircraft like the PC-12 that are something of a FPS hog to begin with. And it's with an older GTX970 GPU.

You should be getting screaming performance with that RTX 2080ti compared to my 970. That's what makes me wonder if it's add-on interaction with the new shaders or something. If it is, then it's not up to Laminar to improve that. The add-on developers have to figure out and fix any incompatibilities. 

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Some people report that the new particle effects are a big drag in some situations. When they renamed the .pss effects file (for a given aircraft) effectively disabling them, then got their fps back.

In any case, it's still a quasi-beta release for now.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Performance with HDR is horrible for me, I have a high end computer though. It stutters, or freezes all the time, showing 30-60 fps on Fraps!

Torfi

2 minutes ago, torfih said:

Performance with HDR is horrible for me, I have a high end computer though. It stutters, or freezes all the time, showing 30-60 fps on Fraps!

I am not sure what you understand by high end computer, but what you describe can happen if you run out of VRAM. If you have Texture Quality on Maximum (No Compression) lower it to Maximum.

You can monitor the VRAM usage within the nvidia driver (On Linux, on command line, run nvidia-smi -l , I suppose something similar exists for Windows. If it is higher then the actual VRAM onboard, swapping with main memory will happen with stuttering as result. Note for 970 users, the last 0,5GB of VRAM is slower and will cause stutters also.

1 hour ago, soaring_penguin said:

I am not sure what you understand by high end computer, but what you describe can happen if you run out of VRAM. If you have Texture Quality on Maximum (No Compression) lower it to Maximum.

You can monitor the VRAM usage within the nvidia driver (On Linux, on command line, run nvidia-smi -l , I suppose something similar exists for Windows. If it is higher then the actual VRAM onboard, swapping with main memory will happen with stuttering as result. Note for 970 users, the last 0,5GB of VRAM is slower and will cause stutters also.

i7 7800X, 32gb, 1080ti 11gb. It's RC1 and HDR that I have problems with, before the simulator was fluid.

Edited by torfih
Update: SkyMaxx Pro latest version seems to be the culprit.

Torfi

5 hours ago, soaring_penguin said:

It's true that the last 0.5 GB on a GTX970 is slower VRAM. However, I think I read somewhere that X-Plane and other graphics intensive software (i.e. games or video editing) will only use the first 3.5 GB of VRAM, ignoring the slower memory. That would make sense for optimization of the GPU performance. No point in pushing pixels through the slower memory.

At any rate, I don't get any stutters with my GTX970 as long as I don't go nuts with the sliders in X-Plane. Smooth as silk, 35-45 fps most everywhere and never lower than 30 FPS. Current settings are:

Visual Effects - High (HDR)
Texture Quality - High
Antialiasing - 2x SSAA+FXAA
No shadows on scenery
World Objects - Maximum
Reflection Detail - Minimum
FOV - 65 degrees
Allow windshield effects - On

I'm running a 1920x1200 monitor res, which helps with a mid-range video card like this. Or I guess a 970 might be considered lower-mid range at this point. ☹️ Now if the prices on the remaining 1080's and 1080ti's would drop just a bit more....

On 12/24/2018 at 1:32 AM, Murmur said:

the new particle effects are a big drag in some situations

Who would have thought...

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

If some of this performance hit is from particle effects, it's odd that there isn't a check box to disable them. It's just eye candy, not an essential feature. I would turn it off now anyway until it's further refined, because I mostly fly the PC-12, and it has exaggerated wingtip contrails that don't look right.

I took a quick look in X-Plane.prf, and don't see a setting that would allow disabling particle effects unless it's called something different..

• Upvote 1

Brute force method: Find the .pss files in your X-Plane folder and delete or rename or move them someplace else.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

..weird, but had stable 30FPS until recent update, which included upgrade GPU from 980ti to 1080, so flying downwind rwy 30L San Jose KSJC and FPS drop to 15, aligning to final and get beck 30FPS  ... ???????

Cheers 

Yair    

On 12/31/2018 at 9:24 PM, N1125Y said:

..weird, but had stable 30FPS until recent update, which included upgrade GPU from 980ti to 1080, so flying downwind rwy 30L San Jose KSJC and FPS drop to 15, aligning to final and get beck 30FPS  ... ???????

Cheers 

Yair    

All the betas up to the 11.30 release candidates were murder on my fps.  But the two release candidates fixed the problem, and even improved fps from 11.26.  I thought maybe Xplane had touched one of my settings in some way, since I fly with everything flatlined at max except for AA.  But no change at all.  I enabled Threaded Optimization in my Nvidia display settings, everything else is defaulted, it had no effect in the early betas but seems to now.  I limit all background processes other than the GEForce Experience and MSI Gaming Lan Manager, both of which I keep enabled.  The GEForce Experience was not installed on my MSI system by default, I went out and got it when I wanted a no performance hit video recorder, which is what the GEForce experience offers for those with Nvidia cards.  I did not know it existed until a forum member mentioned it in one of his posts, and it is a factor in my sim performance, or I should say gaming experience since it affects all of my sims quite well.

I believe those who had good performance with 11.26 will find it with 11.30 if they get their background processes working with each other like I have.  My system is not clocked very fast, it is not overclockable, MSI locked it down so purchasers would not fry their PC's.  And I have not minded it at all.  I used to do desktop app and hardware support and I knew how important it was that we locked our users to a baseline and kept them from playing with it, otherwise support would have been all over the place and unobtainable with support not knowing what a user had done to their system and not having the time or man hours to dig into to user caused problems.  The users protested but we reminded them that the Operating system and baseline belonged to us, per their accepting the license agreements, either by being our employee or our customer.  License agreements are there to protect the user, even if they have to be dragged kicking and screaming into accepting them, it is for their own good and so they can get superior levels of help and support, compared to more lax developers.

John

Do any of you guys experience stutters? With RC2 I have around 30 - 40 frames but the movements are not fluent.
I tried different aircraft and different airports.. 

My specs: i7 6700k @ 4.6 HT on
                 1080Ti 11GB
                 32GB 3200Mhz RAM

Propably there is a setting in the nvidia control panel I have to change. I also seem to have screen tearing when only Half refresh rate is set in the nvidia control panel and vsync not checked in the sim.

By my standards 11.30r2 is fine performance wise. I have no direct comparison to 11.26, but as usual, don't overload the the sim and you'll be fine. Locked, stutter free 30fps is absolutely possible with the usual NVIDIA settings.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Had massive performance problems with RC2, but then found out that a plugin was the culprit (MarineTrafficX). I still get less than 30 FPS in dense areas, but otherwise, performance is just fine.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days